Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would Ryan have saved that?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
A fun game to play when watching any match and a goal is scored by either team.

For example, of the five goals last night at Anfield our Maty would normally have saved at least four.

Liverpool’s first two for definite - routine handling. Both of West Ham’s probably (quick low dives at which he excels). And possibly even Liverpool’s third as well with a trademark spreading of himself to block the cross...

Top class keepers frequently make mistakes. Maty Ryan has made remarkably few for the Albion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All 3 Liverpool goals were Fabianski mistakes - the first 2, really poor efforts to save, and the third, a terrible bit of decision making to go charging out wide of his goal, when there was no immediate threat.

I don't think either of the West Ham goals were errors - but I take your point, that those were both the type, where Maty's detractors, would be asking the question (wrongly).

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I have to add, being a bad fan who thinks Ryan is very average, there should also be a 'Would Ryan not have saved that ?'

Tis ironic you mention him as last night Fabianski made a save in which I thought how Ryan just wouldn't have stretched for it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I don't think either of the West Ham goals were errors - but I take your point, that those were both the type, where Maty's detractors, would be asking the question (wrongly).
I agree that neither were howlers but stand by the suggestion that Maty might well have kept them out. I’ve certainly seen him make more difficult saves.

The point made by you (and me) is the very good one. Keepers “could have done better” on many if not most goals. Their success hangs by threads of split second decision making and fractions of inches in handling.

I love Maty Ryan as our keeper. He is one of the top 2 or 3 Albion keepers ever and he has played a great part in our relative success as a newly promoted Premier League team. His agility and skill levels are high but he also brings an outstanding mental attitude to the hardest role on the pitch. On top of it all he is an excellent bloke.

Calling him out for every goal he “could have saved” (and not excusing him an occasional blunder without blame) is the precise opposite of supporting him. I don’t know why any Albion fan would choose to do that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I pointed out last night on the:-

'Would Ryan have saved that?' thread :facepalm:

Yes, yes he would have done.

For all the perceived mistakes the haters accredit to Ryan his ability to produce strong, reflex saves isn't something even they dare to question.

The fella must have wrists like rocks.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Most good keepers will make several costly mistakes across a season.
Most excellent keepers will make the occasional Howler.

Maty makes very few costly mistakes and I cannot think of a single howler.
He is very good and more importantly consistently good keeper.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Zaha scores a near identical goal at Selhurst and everyone says it’s a wonder strike. SU do so last Sat and it’s all Ryan’s fault? Is he the new hate figure in the team? I can’t keep track.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The only complete howler that l have ever seen Maty make, was a shot from distance in a pre-season friendly at the Amex, which went in through his legs. If you are going to make a big mistake, that is the kind of game to do it in!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My thoughts too. Flew in like a rocket!

Also, I sometimes wonder what people expect? Goals get scored most weeks in most matches. It’s not someone’s fault. It’s what happens!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Zaha scores a near identical goal at Selhurst and everyone says it’s a wonder strike. SU do so last Sat and it’s all Ryan’s fault? Is he the new hate figure in the team? I can’t keep track.

I’m not sure it’s hate, just recognition that he’s a limited keeper. He makes very few obvious errors, but he rarely makes any outstanding saves you’d expect of a Premier League keeper and he doesn’t dominate his box at all. He’s just very lower Prem level, which is where we are incidentally.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I’m not sure it’s hate, just recognition that he’s a limited keeper. He makes very few obvious errors, but he rarely makes any outstanding saves you’d expect of a Premier League keeper and he doesn’t dominate his box at all. He’s just very lower Prem level, which is where we are incidentally.

That's just bollox. End of discussion

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Absolutely - his record is remarkable on that front.

I honestly think, that he didn't see that shot from Stevens, until it was almost past him, he was unsighted.

I was directly in line with the shot - I don't think I'd have had time to move - 50 yards further on - if the net hadn't been there. It went like a bullet, right into the top corner - AND he was unsighted. Don't criticise him for the goal - criticise whoever was supposed to be helping Maupay deal with the short corner, and whoever left the LB in so much space to take the shot if you must (or just recognise it was a heck of a hit, and these things happen ?) but it wasn't Maty's fault.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Attacking players only have to get it right once or twice every few games, Goalkeepers and Defenders have to get it right all the time.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Jeez.

Another post in memory of BG!!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Hmmm not at all sure l can agree with that. A lower level Premier League side we may well be, but I would say that Maty Ryan is a better than average Premier League keeper, and we should count ourselves as lucky to have him.

As for not making any outstanding saves . . . :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here