Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Ban heading footballs from goal kicks ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A bit in the news today about the FA banning kids from 11 and under from heading the football, which given the long-term effects it had on the likes of Jeff Astle, who suffered dementia and died from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, seems a sensible move. The coroner ruled his death was caused by repeated heading of footballs, although I take the point that footballs in Astle's era were a lot different to the current ones.

In a debate about what more could be done though, I heard a suggestion over the weekend about banning headers from goal kicks (be it a drop-kick or set piece), as these would usually be the "heaviest" with most impact. Clearly this would fundamentally alter the way the game is played - presumably anyone heading the ball from a GK would concede a free kick to the opposition. I would never support eradicating headers from the game entirely, as its obviously an important part of the game. But I don't think we'd be losing much by banning heading from goal kicks - players would just have to adapt and learn to control it differently when thy challenge for it.

Thoughts ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Today [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] was talking about the pittance The PFA have invested in brain trauma research.
A frightening low amount of money £100-£300k (ish) esp when compared to travel expenses and fund manager costs.

You'd think they'd be keen to take this on, from a position of strength, on behalf of it's entire membership.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What's to stop teams that want to "hoof it" passing to a defender to welly it ?

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone who has been involved in kids football will know that very few headers happen in u11 football anyway . In some respects, banning headers will also be a good thing as in encourages more skillful passing play.

As for the wider problem, I think modern day footballs are so light and padded they won't do anywhere near the damage the balls from the past will do to a head. As a kid, we had those old leather panel balls which would absorb water and turn into medicine balls. We then moved on to the Mitre Multiplex - a solid match ball that weighed a ton compared these new Nike beachballs they use these days and which used to leave their logo embedded on whichever part of your body it smacked into on a cold day.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Anyone who has been involved in kids football will know that very few headers happen in u11 football anyway . In some respects, banning headers will also be a good thing as in encourages more skillful passing play.

As for the wider problem, I think modern day footballs are so light and padded they won't do anywhere near the damage the balls from the past will do to a head. As a kid, we had those old leather panel balls which would absorb water and turn into medicine balls. We then moved on to the Mitre Multiplex - a solid match ball that weighed a ton compared these new Nike beachballs they use these days and which used to leave their logo embedded on whichever part of your body it smacked into on a cold day.

If I recall correctly new balls are as heavy/light as the old ones, unless its raining. And these suspected dementia/alzheimers links are as common in Italy (where its not always, always, always raining) etc as they are in the UK. Also, the ball being lighter (in rain) should also mean players are able to kick it harder, meaning that the impact should probably be about the same?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here