Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring back the Rope?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why was this moved from main board? Purely curious!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I would guess its just not the perfect time to discuss how little a life is or isnt worth.

OMG, hope not getting five from 2+2?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I don't know how I would feel if a loved one was murdered. The tax paid to upkeep these scum also annoys me. Overall however, for reasons already mentioned I am against it.

It was once suggested that the cost of the appeals process upon sentence of death was higher than keeping them incarcerated.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
It was once suggested that the cost of the appeals process upon sentence of death was higher than keeping them incarcerated.

As of October 2018 the cost of keeping the likes of Sutcliffe going at HMP Frankland was £172 per day or £63,000 per year. Not value for money imho.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
As of October 2018 the cost of keeping the likes of Sutcliffe going at HMP Frankland was £172 per day or £63,000 per year. Not value for money imho.

Indeed. But in a respectable country the appeals process is exhaustive on a capital offence. Legal bills running into millions.

But here's the problem. We both find ourselves crudely discussing economics.

I just couldn't support the idea. As much as someone would be worthy of it.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wasn't Evans hung on the evidence of the murderer himself ?

Yep, John Christie living in the flat below gave testimony at Evans' trial along with Christie's wife. Then in John Christie's flat 3 years after the state had hung Timothy Evans, they found 3 female corpses in a hidden cupboard, Christie's wife under the floorboards, 2 skeletons in the garden, 1 with it's skull missing and a thigh bone propping up the fence!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this reintroduced.

Why? Well it is populist bollocks that is screamed for by people who read of outrageously low sentences for crimes, despite not being in court and thus not having all the facts at hand. Obviously there are cases where the law hasn't been firm enough, but to call on the capital punishment to be reintroduced ignores the multiple proven cases of miscarriages of justice. All very well until it happens to you or your loved ones.

Previously, we have deferred this decision to our parliamentary democracy, who understand that deferring this decision to an easily influenced, ill-informed rump of the population is not the right way of going about things. However, this government is an incompetent shambles - a referendum on this is exactly the sort of thing they'd do (at the expense of what is best for the country), if it meant another 5 years in charge thanks to more borrowed votes from such people.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Looking at the state of the much underfunded CPS who by there own admission recon there could be 1000’s in the system who didn’t get a fair trial, the rope is the last thing that needs to be bought back!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It can seem tempting at times, but I wouldn’t bring it back. Mistakes have been made in the past and will continue to be made.

Given modern forensics, if they can prove a case without any shadow of a doubt and the crime is so sickening it deserves nothing less, than I think we should!

If there is the slightest possibility of a mistake, then no. The faintest hint of a doubt? Absolutely NO!

But Ian Brady, Roy Whiting, Ian Huntley, Fred West, Peter Sutcliffe, Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale (the two scumbags who publicly hackied Lee Rigby to death) for example ..... any doubts? Anybody?

Nope.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If there is the slightest possibility of a mistake, then no. The faintest hint of a doubt? Absolutely NO!

But Ian Brady, Roy Whiting, Ian Huntley, Fred West, Peter Sutcliffe, Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale (the two scumbags who publicly hackied Lee Rigby to death) for example ..... any doubts? Anybody?

Nope.

The average death row wait in the US is 15 years. The costs of trials, appeals, petitions etc. is far in excess of a normal trial for life imprisonment.

In Florida alone, it costs the taxpayer $51m more per year to fund death row rather than incarcerate inmates for life without parole. On average across the US a death row inmate costs $1.12m each than a life without parole inmate.

I'm quite happy for the above to die a long drawn out existence at her majesty's pleasure at less expense to the taxpayer.

Jan 30, 2008
The average death row wait in the US is 15 years. The costs of trials, appeals, petitions etc. is far in excess of a normal trial for life imprisonment.

In Florida alone, it costs the taxpayer $51m more per year to fund death row rather than incarcerate inmates for life without parole. On average across the US a death row inmate costs $1.12m each than a life without parole inmate.

I'm quite happy for the above to die a long drawn out existence at her majesty's pleasure at less expense to the taxpayer.

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/hanging2.html ??????
regards
DF

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It’s the mark of a civilized society that we don’t condone killing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here