Anyone think this is a bit nanny state?

Maybe a sensible precaution

Maybe practice with a lighter ball

file:///H:/Downloads/the-fa-heading-guidance.pdf

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
While I think the safety stuff has a tendency to go way too far in modern society, I think this might be quite wise and could possibly have a positive effect on creating decent footballers as well. Heading is also one of the easier skills to improve so it shouldnt make much harm postponing that part until they are 12.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Doesn't seem to have done Shane Duffy much harm ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anyone think this is a bit nanny state?

Maybe a sensible precaution

Maybe practice with a lighter ball

file:///H:/Downloads/the-fa-heading-guidance.pdf

Most young kids don't want to head the ball. You watch most u10s and below games and rarely will kids be heading the ball. It's not something they like doing, so why do it in training? No point really. Train with emphasis on skills and playing the ball with the feet. Should be all about ball work. Heading isn't banned, just heading sessions in training. As they get older, it starts to get introduced.

I don't think this will change the routines of most decent coaches of primary aged children out there. It's really new guidelines for the nutters out there coaching kids by probably practicing heading high balls from drop kicks as a training exercise. The kind who look at you in a weirdly unhinged way and say 'never did me any harm'....you know, the Nigel Pearson sort....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Doesn't seem to have done Shane Duffy much harm ?

Shane Duffy has headed loads and loads and loads of footballs.

Shane's brain came to the conclusion that is was a good idea to get 'romantically' involved with Katie Price.

This isn't conclusive proof of damaging effects, but frightening enough to err on the side of caution, I think.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Shane Duffy has headed loads and loads and loads of footballs.

Shane's brain came to the conclusion that is was a good idea to get 'romantically' involved with Katie Price.

This isn't conclusive proof of damaging effects, but frightening enough to err on the side of caution, I think.

I am fairly sure it wasn't his brain that made the decision!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s the only way to go if we’re to make this death in old age malarkey go away.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sod it. Didn't notice this thread before I started mine.

Feel free to merge, mods.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Most young kids don't want to head the ball. You watch most u10s and below games and rarely will kids be heading the ball. It's not something they like doing, so why do it in training? No point really. Train with emphasis on skills and playing the ball with the feet. Should be all about ball work. Heading isn't banned, just heading sessions in training. As they get older, it starts to get introduced.

I don't think this will change the routines of most decent coaches of primary aged children out there. It's really new guidelines for the nutters out there coaching kids by probably practicing heading high balls from drop kicks as a training exercise. The kind who look at you in a weirdly unhinged way and say 'never did me any harm'....you know, the Nigel Pearson sort....

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
About time the FA knocked it on the head.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My 14-yr old daughter loves heading the ball. She is a rock in her local boys team's defence. I wince when she goes up and smashes it downfield with her head, as do most of he parents on the touchline. She's bloody good at it but I do worry reading all this stuff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here