Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] A Question of Etiquette

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
No, not the follow up to a popular sports programme, but a genuine question.

For many a year, as taught to me at school, when I write a letter (quaint) or send an email to an organisation or body whose recipient I don't know I always start with...

Dear Sir / Madam...

Now in these days of gender neutrality, gender transfer, etc., how should I start my missive so I don't inadvertently upset anyone?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think "Hey Dude, how's it hanging?" seems popular, but with less punctuation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
“Hey” and then the first name seems to be the go to. I am too old to do that though :shrug:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I’d start with Dear Sir. You’re not intending to cause offence and is some weirdo decides to take it, that’s their problem.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"Totes awks" is my daughter's 'go to' in this sort of situation.

Hope that like totally helps? Yeh?

Whatev's,

Bry

:cry:

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Some very helpful suggestions, I particularly like Hey Dude, how's it hanging, though feel this might cause offence to women, transgender men and those with a small penis!

On s similar vein (oh, er missus), how do you sign off a letter or email.

Regards, kind regards, yours sincerely, etc.

Me I tend to go with cheers, for people I know, which always went down well with the Chief Superintendent...

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Nothing wrong with Dear Sir/Madam, though it does seem a bit formal for me in many cases when emailing. I often go for a Good morning/afternoon.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Some very helpful suggestions, I particularly like Hey Dude, how's it hanging, though feel this might cause offence to women, transgender men and those with a small penis!

On s similar vein (oh, er missus), how do you sign off a letter or email.

Regards, kind regards, yours sincerely, etc.

Me I tend to go with cheers, for people I know, which always went down well with the Chief Superintendent...

Cheers if you know them well. Kind regards if you don't. A plain regards always seems a bit terse.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No, not the follow up to a popular sports programme, but a genuine question.

For many a year, as taught to me at school, when I write a letter (quaint) or send an email to an organisation or body whose recipient I don't know I always start with...

Dear Sir / Madam...

Now in these days of gender neutrality, gender transfer, etc., how should I start my missive so I don't inadvertently upset anyone?

Whenever I have to send an email to a generic address, I try to find a name of someone who works there – one who seems the most relevant to the reason for my email – and send it there. Failing that, I address it to the specific department. Failing THAT, I would resort to a simple 'Hello'. Although that can get mistaken for spam and binned straight away, hence the reason I go with one of the other approaches...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Formal = Dear Sir, yours faithfully or Dear John, yours sincerely e.g. in your situation, that’s appropriate.
Informal = Hello John, regards (if don’t know person yet)...all this ‘kind’ regards, ‘best’ regards is really naff and unnecessary. It’s become normalised though.
Very informal = Hi John, thanks (if know person quite well)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dont know much about British email etiquette but whenever I get an email starting with "Dear" it ends with "...so please tell us everything about your credit card secrets".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here