Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Will we beat the Irish?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
France are nailed on Grand Slam winners now. What are the odds?

With Shaun Edwards they finally have a truly world class defensive coach. They only have to play the awful Scots, then with the huge advantage of playing in Paris they face this Ireland team that choke away at big rugby nations.

Betfred's odds:

France 8/11.
England 6/4.
Ireland 10/1.

Probably a two horse race now? Even at 8/11, France look the value but they've got to deal with the pressure. Something that their young side will need to show character.

Scotland have gone under the radar. In every match they've battled hard and have been rather unfortunate but watching France is a feast for the eyes. The Scots would hate to open the door for England. :D

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Betfred's odds:

France 8/11.
England 6/4.
Ireland 10/1.

Probably a two horse race now? Even at 8/11, France look the value but they've got to deal with the pressure. Something that their young side will need to show character.

Scotland have gone under the radar. In every match they've battled hard and have been rather unfortunate but watching France is a feast for the eyes. The Scots would hate to open the door for England. :D

Predictably mean by the bookies, but I might put a grand on France. Or £30 more likely.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Before they had this grit with Shaun Edwards.

Plus Scotland under Gregor Townsend peaked a year ago. Since then, key players have retired and their best player Finn Russell won’t play for them again whilst GT is the manager.

Don’t buy the Edwards thing.

France scored a stuffy interception try yesterday and have conceded tries in all the games they’ve played.

They only beat England because we were absolutely dreadful in the first half. Wales could and should have won yesterday.

And Russell is just an arrogant ****.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

France scored a stuffy interception try yesterday and have conceded tries in all the games they’ve played.

They only beat England because we were absolutely dreadful in the first half. Wales could and should have won yesterday.

Edwards with Graham Henry and then Warren Gatland turned a Wales team we used to beat for fun, into multiple GS winners. Why did world class Henry and Gatland have such faith, when they could’ve cherry picked from the Antipodes? Edwards is a winner in both codes.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
In France they got the bounce of the ball, today we have had it. Championships are won or lost on it. We have totally mullered Ireland so far with the help of the ball bounces.

indeed two converted tries from lucky bounces and Sexton missing easy penalty and conversion. However we were much the better side.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Edwards with Graham Henry and then Warren Gatland turned a Wales team we used to beat for fun, into multiple GS winners. Why did world class Henry and Gatland have such faith, when they could’ve cherry picked from the Antipodes? Edwards is a winner in both codes.

Don’t disagree he’s a good defensive coach. Just think he’s a bit overhyped that’s all. Gatland and Henry are both exceptional coaches.

And despite a great track record in rugby league he really isn’t very popular in his hometown at all....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don’t disagree he’s a good defensive coach. Just think he’s a bit overhyped that’s all. Gatland and Henry are both exceptional coaches.

And despite a great track record in rugby league he really isn’t very popular in his hometown at all....

I remember when he played RL, although a winner, he was always a controversial, quite angry young man.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

France have been magnificent in all three of their matches in the first half. Whether it's fatigue, risky tactics or a little bit of arrogance, they have sailed close to the wind by the end. But they have a very talented, young side who could dominate the next couple of years.

If you were betting on England, the thing you have to accept is it's out of their own hands. If Ireland absolutely wallop Italy next time then they might stand a slight chance in Paris. But today was a real sickener for them with the individual mistakes.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Strange refereeing today, the Irish have been " unsporting " several times and always seem to have got away with it.. The punching assault on Farrell for hanging on was particularly dubious.

Agreed. If that had been an England player punching the player hanging on to his leg, that would be a penalty and a yellow card.:O

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Agreed. If that had been an England player punching the player hanging on to his leg, that would be a penalty and a yellow card.:O

Yes, genuinely surprised that this went utterly unpunished.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

He was trying to hit Farrell's arm to free himself from illegal holding. Everyone does it when someone hangs on too long.

What Farrell was doing holding on about 10 seconds too long I don't know.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
France have been magnificent in all three of their matches in the first half. Whether it's fatigue, risky tactics or a little bit of arrogance, they have sailed close to the wind by the end. But they have a very talented, young side who could dominate the next couple of years.

If you were betting on England, the thing you have to accept is it's out of their own hands. If Ireland absolutely wallop Italy next time then they might stand a slight chance in Paris. But today was a real sickener for them with the individual mistakes.

Or it might just be that the opposition has worked them out just a bit too late? As you say, this is a young exciting team who the opposition aren’t used to seeing.

Compare and contrast that with the tired old team Farrell put out against England. If I was an Irish fan I’d be really disappointed a new coach hadn’t brought in some exciting new players to make his mark.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here