Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Schelotto substitution

el punal

I was at that game! 2 September 1978! Horton and Poskett got the other 2 goals and we won 4-1, having also had two goals ruled out for offside! It was a second half rout after a 1-1 HT scoreline. I went with a Millwall-supporting pal and we stood with the home fans. I had to sit on my hands and stay silent every time the Albion scored. Agony. I managed to conceal my true colours and my pal didn't give me away, which is just as well as it was an extremely hostile environment and the crowd were very wound up by the Albion team and fans.

I was at that game too. Also attended the 1-0 win the season before with Wardy scoring - that was the game that was played shortly after Panorama did their piece on Millwall fans. Yes, those naughty boys calling themselves ‘Treatment’, Halfway Line’ and ‘F Troop’. Surgical masks anyone? :D

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Schelotto is the modern day Peter Smith. Fun and frustrating to watch in equal measure, never know what he is going to do next (good or bad) but also knowing that for all that, we must be able to find someone better at right back.

This. And, like the great Peter Smith, I have a feeling Schelotto has no idea what he's going to do next either. It's a giant mystery ride for everyone.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Schelotto is the modern day Peter Smith. Fun and frustrating to watch in equal measure, never know what he is going to do next (good or bad) but also knowing that for all that, we must be able to find someone better at right back.

Don’t think the Greyhound will be winning player of the season like Smith did though! The fact that Smith and Andy Whing both won our player of the season awards in the past shows how far we’ve come!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Harsh on Schelotto. He's spent the vast majority of his career playing in the top flight in Italy, Portugal and England.

Not really, if it wasn't for his pace a physical attribute he wouldn't be anywhere near a top flight in any country. He cant pass, he cant cross, he isn't half bad in the air to be fair. But technically he is utter tripe.

For all of that he was probably our second/third best player yesterday which says a lot for our overall performance.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I admit Calde could also score with his arse but that was only in the Championship.

He also kept Bruno out of the team, created far more goals than Bruno and scored over 3 times Bruno's. He was a very good player, the best RB defender we've had for a long time imo.

God lives

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not really, if it wasn't for his pace a physical attribute he wouldn't be anywhere near a top flight in any country. He cant pass, he cant cross, he isn't half bad in the air to be fair. But technically he is utter tripe.

For all of that he was probably our second/third best player yesterday which says a lot for our overall performance.

Granted, he's not the most technically gifted but you don't make it to the point through pace alone.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
This. And, like the great Peter Smith, I have a feeling Schelotto has no idea what he's going to do next either. It's a giant mystery ride for everyone.

I do remember Liam Brady saying that he'd often seen players like Peter Smith who were brilliant in their first season for a club and then were much poorer thereafter as they had "stopped to think about it" !

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Harsh on Schelotto. He's spent the vast majority of his career playing in the top flight in Italy, Portugal and England.

He's also an Italian international. Admittedly it's only one game, but Italian caps aren't exactly given away

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Made a difference at West Ham, posed a threat on Saturday and could have won a penalty, gives 100% yet so many still choose to criticise rather than praise. Tough crowd getting more entitled by the year.

World Class fullbacks aren’t going to be coming here anytime soon

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Made a difference at West Ham playing as a right winger, posed a threat on Saturday and could have won a penalty, gives 100% yet so many still choose to criticise rather than praise. Tough crowd getting more entitled by the year.

World Class fullbacks aren’t going to be coming here anytime soon

But any luck we'll get a capable one who can defend as well as attack.......

Amended the West Ham bit for you ;-)

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
He looks like he's loving the game time he's getting. I thought he was the forgotten man who would leave quietly out the back door to a Championship side, and he probably thought he'd missed his chance of regular Prem football here too. Feels like a real comeback story!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here