Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Schelotto substitution

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Thought he had a good game yesterday, improving as the game went on. Never stopped running.

Did others notice that his substitution provoked the best and worst from the home fans? When substituted, in accordance with the new rules he left the field on the side of the pitch to which he was closest which sparked a ripple of applause for his gentlemanly behaviour from a pocket of the Sheffield fans closest to him.

He then received a well-earned and vocal ovation from the Albion fans as he shuffled along the goal-line in front of us on his way back to the bench. As he turned the corner to walk past the Sheffield fans towards the dug out he faced a torrent of abuse from the locals who thought he’d been “dishing it out” on the pitch in the first half.

What did the Greyhound do in response as he jogged along the touchline? He displayed a massive grin to all, accompanied by alternating thumbs ups, hand waves and applause to the baying locals. Pure class.

One of my favourite moments of the afternoon!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think he and his performance were all over the place, as usual - some very good stuff, some horrendous, and he seems to disagree with the concept of "position". I take him over Montoya any day though.

But he is indeed very likeable and seems quite a character on and off the pitch.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Terrible terrible crossing

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Thought he had a good game yesterday, improving as the game went on. Never stopped running.

Did others notice that his substitution provoked the best and worst from the home fans? When substituted, in accordance with the new rules he left the field on the side of the pitch to which he was closest which sparked a ripple of applause for his gentlemanly behaviour from a pocket of the Sheffield fans closest to him.

He then received a well-earned and vocal ovation from the Albion fans as he shuffled along the goal-line in front of us on his way back to the bench. As he turned the corner to walk past the Sheffield fans towards the dug out he faced a torrent of abuse from the locals who thought he’d been “dishing it out” on the pitch in the first half.

What did the Greyhound do in response as he jogged along the touchline? He displayed a massive grin to all, accompanied by alternating thumbs ups, hand waves and applause to the baying locals. Pure class.

Reminds me of Teddy Maybank at Milwall back in the day - he'd just scored his second goal in a four goal lovely warm Spring day rout at the old Den, whereupon he took his shirt off and posed in front of the baying Milwall fans in the home end who were hurling obscenities and anything else they could find at him as he grinned and showed off his perfect torso to them and flexed his pecs for their appreciation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Marmite Schelotto, me, I love a character and he always gives 100%. Thought he had a good game yesterday and doesn’t seem to feel any pressure from hostile crowds. I do think that we’ll be looking to upgrade on him. Maybe we already have with Lamptey. We will see soon enough I think. Don’t write him off though.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Love him for his effort and decent at times going forward but absolutely terrible when defending. Backs off and backs off when he does manage to be in the right position. Please don’t play him against Zaha.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

The local morons have never forgiven him for coming first in the Sheffield 2015 competition of 'best D'Artagnan lookeelikee', beating their local entrant 'Steeleye Stan' :lolol:

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Reminds me of Teddy Maybank at Milwall back in the day - he'd just scored his second goal in a four goal lovely warm Spring day rout at the old Den, whereupon he took his shirt off and posed in front of the baying Milwall fans in the home end who were hurling obscenities and anything else they could find at him as he grinned and showed off his perfect torso to them and flexed his pecs for their appreciation.

I was at that game! 2 September 1978! Horton and Poskett got the other 2 goals and we won 4-1, having also had two goals ruled out for offside! It was a second half rout after a 1-1 HT scoreline. I went with a Millwall-supporting pal and we stood with the home fans. I had to sit on my hands and stay silent every time the Albion scored. Agony. I managed to conceal my true colours and my pal didn't give me away, which is just as well as it was an extremely hostile environment and the crowd were very wound up by the Albion team and fans.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I think he and his performance were all over the place, as usual - some very good stuff, some horrendous, and he seems to disagree with the concept of "position". I take him over Montoya any day though.

But he is indeed very likeable and seems quite a character on and off the pitch.

Would you seriously want him defending against Zaha next Saturday ?! Montoya has to start that one all day long !

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Would you seriously want him defending against Zaha next Saturday ?! Montoya has to start that one all day long !

Yeah if I have to choose between the "fun, but shit right back" and "boring, and also shit right back", I go with the fun one.

I'm hoping for Lamptey or Alzate though.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Palace won't have any knowledge of either Lamptey or MacAllister (mind you neither have we at the moment !) so I reckon they should play at least a percentage of the game.
Whoever we play though we absolutely HAVE to start quickly and press the advantage.More 66% possession but, this time, with an end product please.

Jul 7, 2003
Schelotto is the modern day Peter Smith. Fun and frustrating to watch in equal measure, never know what he is going to do next (good or bad) but also knowing that for all that, we must be able to find someone better at right back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here