Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can anyone explain the actual point of VAR

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
FFS, it's simple. It's very expensive, so somebody is making a mint out of it. The TV companies want it (or thought the did - they might be wondering now) - but all the decision makers will no doubt have been suitably rewarded fir their perspicacity in bundling it through without any excess of tedious and costly testing.

Sorry ........... I thought this was common knowledge ..............

The clubs wanted it., including Paul Barbers Brighton.

The ST waiting list will be 2 shorter in a years time.

K1ngKaz

Oct 10, 2010
The clubs wanted it., including Paul Barbers Brighton.

The ST waiting list will be 2 shorter in a years time.

Or 3 weeks? Renewal date.... VAR used correctly is good, needs more interaction with fans in the ground.
A poll based on a replay of decision would be cool to see. An interactive app in game whilst they make their mind up [emoji23]

Or just use the bloody screen like everyone else that uses it [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
FFS, it's simple. It's very expensive, so somebody is making a mint out of it. The TV companies want it (or thought the did - they might be wondering now) - but all the decision makers will no doubt have been suitably rewarded fir their perspicacity in bundling it through without any excess of tedious and costly testing.

Sorry ........... I thought this was common knowledge ..............

You are right, the TV companies do want it. Delays in matches offers up the opportunities for them to bring in ad breaks potentially after every goal. Apparently this is seriously being looked at for future seasons as they do in sports across the pond and was mentioned in the press before Christmas. It's the end of football as we know it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Or 3 weeks? Renewal date.... VAR used correctly is good, needs more interaction with fans in the ground.
A poll based on a replay of decision would be cool to see. An interactive app in game whilst they make their mind up [emoji23]

Five year ST expires next year.

VAR is shite. No fan wants it in this guise. These is no way to use it correctly for the things it’s calling, offside by a millimetre, failing to retrospectively red card cheats and shocking fouls, it’s just a shambles, best dropped and forgotten. We’ve done without it for all our lives, no need for it now.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I think The Complete And Utter Shyster summed up the PL refs thoughts on VAR in the Peter Crouch Podcast, ‘ I’m not happy someone else telling me I’ve made a mistake after 20 years in the game’

Well then you complete and utter knobhead, go and use the fecking pitch side monitor and make that call yourself! Prick :rant:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It now seems to have reached the point where the on pitch officials don’t give contentious decisions as if incorrect, they will be overturned by the VAR officials anyway.
And the VAR officials now don’t like overturning the on pitch officials.

So there is absolutely no point in VAR at all.

Referees and linesmen make mistakes - it’s human nature. We all get pi*sed off but it was part of the game. The really big mistakes were minimal. Now, another level of potential mistakes has been introduced and that is the hugely frustrating point.

So, again, there is absolutely no point in VAR at all

My reason to the club for cancelling my season ticket will be VAR. Won’t make any difference but it’s the truth unfortunately

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought in the Burnley Muff game
VAR made the correct decision. What I don't understand is how far back they go with it. Let's say Muff did not score when they did, but the ball stayed in play for another 5 min, then goes out can they then decide to give the penalty, and if so are those extra 5 min added on at the end of the game.?

I can't see how either of the 'handballs' are clear enough to overrule the ref. The Billings one hits his shoulder, might brush han't clearly see it. The Wilson more so his arm but it's not clear

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I can't see how either of the 'handballs' are clear enough to overrule the ref. The Billings one hits his shoulder, might brush han't clearly see it. The Wilson more so his arm but it's not clear
One of the angles appears to show the ball bouncing off his shoulder. Appears is the salient point though as it's subjective. var is a travesty.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Bent refs, partial defense against.

Someday the whole game will be refereed by machines

And the game will take place in front of computer generated fans. Its destroying the game for fans who attend matches. Both yesterday and at West Ham I consciously felt for the first time that I didnt celebrate goals in the same way as before. It's taking the historic game away from the most important people. Hate it with a passion but sadly it's not going away.

It's also another nail in the coffin of small clubs as the huge match by match costs get pushed on championship clubs

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
At the start of the season I was hopeful that VAR would bring an end to all of the cheating that is now prevalent in football. The way it is used and the decisions given or ignored has made it unfit for purpose.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Several people on this thread have claimed that refs (bent or otherwise) are the cause of VAR not working. What is the actual evidence for this theory ? I would suggest that straws are being clutched. As the thread title asks; what is the point of it ? Our flowing, wonderful, imperfect game has been hijacked in the name of perfect decision making and in the process we have lost something. Whether VAR gets it right or wrong is not the most important point to fans attending games.

Ensuring we got a point at West Ham

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I thought the 2 decisions against Bournmouth were a disgrace to football. On pitch ref had clear view .Do supporters of either side really want to see refs overruled by someone watching a screen. Handball decisions must next season be left to ref. So many have been given for just hitting arm now a joke that goals disallowed for hitting shoulder.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have VAR because SkySports et al sat in their TV studios screaming X goal shouldn't stand because X's foot was 1 cm offside.

Now ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here