Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can anyone explain the actual point of VAR

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
On the train back from the game today

What is the point of it?

I’ve asked this question from Day 1

We know that most referees are pretty useless. And therefore it follows that most VAR referees are fairly useless (as they are the same human beings)

So it follows that there will be as many VAR errors as errors by referees on the pitch

So what is the point?

Please

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think Mike Dean summed up the PL refs thoughts on VAR in the Peter Crouch Podcast, ‘ I’m not happy someone else telling me I’ve made a mistake after 20 years in the game’

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I thought in the Burnley Muff game
VAR made the correct decision. What I don't understand is how far back they go with it. Let's say Muff did not score when they did, but the ball stayed in play for another 5 min, then goes out can they then decide to give the penalty, and if so are those extra 5 min added on at the end of the game.?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's worth it just to upset Eddie Howe��

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
VAR made the correct decision. What I don't understand is how far back they go with it. Let's say Muff did not score when they did, but the ball stayed in play for another 5 min, then goes out can they then decide to give the penalty, and if so are those extra 5 min added on at the end of the game.?

What if that had happened with one minute to go.
Players all off the field in the showers or on the coach or maybe have gone home.
Can they be called back for those extra few minutes?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think The Complete And Utter Shyster summed up the PL refs thoughts on VAR in the Peter Crouch Podcast, ‘ I’m not happy someone else telling me I’ve made a mistake after 20 years in the game’

This.

So, they are busy sabotaging it (deliberately, probably not, but subconsciously, certainly).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think The Complete And Utter Shyster summed up the PL refs thoughts on VAR in the Peter Crouch Podcast, ‘ I’m not happy someone else telling me I’ve made a mistake after 20 years in the game’

What like NSC on your sending off of Dale Stephens v Boro a while back ???

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I presume that VAR doesn’t wait for a break in play before starting to review an incident.

Where they feel that the play needs to be stopped, for example for a penalty, then they can inform the ref.

A number of incidents are reviewed over the course of a game that don’t interrupt play at all.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What if that had happened with one minute to go.
Players all off the field in the showers or on the coach or maybe have gone home.
Can they be called back for those extra few minutes?

Doing it really slowly is part of the undermining.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This.

So, they are busy sabotaging it (deliberately, probably not, but subconsciously, certainly).

This!

Over time VAR could be used to assess the capability of individual ref's.
Could easily be used as the metric to decide which ref's get to keep their jobs

It isn't in their interest for it to work well.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I presume that VAR doesn’t wait for a break in play before starting to review an incident.

Where they feel that the play needs to be stopped, for example for a penalty, then they can inform the ref.

A number of incidents are reviewed over the course of a game that don’t interrupt play at all.

They Said on the radio that because the game had stopped, they were able to make the correct decision.
I thought that you can only go back a few phases, to make the decision.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Bent refs, partial defense against.

Someday the whole game will be refereed by machines

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FFS, it's simple. It's very expensive, so somebody is making a mint out of it. The TV companies want it (or thought the did - they might be wondering now) - but all the decision makers will no doubt have been suitably rewarded fir their perspicacity in bundling it through without any excess of tedious and costly testing.

Sorry ........... I thought this was common knowledge ..............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here