Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Midfield today

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Literally stunned by some of the posts on here tonight. How today's performance and the results elsewhere in the country can be used as evidence that we will be relegated is staggering.

Mr Potter's picked a team to go to a Top 6 club, who have completely outplayed us earlier in the season, and get a point, or nick a win. And, with a magnificent all round effort, our boys have delivered the point, which would have been the nicked win if Dunky had hit the target from his chance in the second half. The criticism of Mooy is just bizarre. I'd love to know how many yards he covered this afternoon. He was absolutely everywhere and epitomised the effort that went into this great point.

I had a great day out in Sheffield and am very grateful to Potter and the Lads for all they did to make that possible.

Just got back myself.
Can only assume that most of the highly negative posters were not at the game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Literally stunned by some of the posts on here tonight. How today's performance and the results elsewhere in the country can be used as evidence that we will be relegated is staggering.

Mr Potter's picked a team to go to a Top 6 club, who have completely outplayed us earlier in the season, and get a point, or nick a win. And, with a magnificent all round effort, our boys have delivered the point, which would have been the nicked win if Dunky had hit the target from his chance in the second half. The criticism of Mooy is just bizarre. I'd love to know how many yards he covered this afternoon. He was absolutely everywhere and epitomised the effort that went into this great point.

I had a great day out in Sheffield and am very grateful to Potter and the Lads for all they did to make that possible.

This, 100%. Even the parking and drive both ways was good as a nice bonus. Happy days.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Fair play to Potter, two of today's less well received picks, Bissouma and Schelotto, were two of our best players.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
For a change? Have you seen our possession stats in most games? This game was an exception. Potter & the staff decided "ok, trying to win this through our midfielders is going to be really tough and instead of losing the ball in dangerous positions where they can counter against our slow defenders, we will lose the ball in less dangerous positions and try to force them to hit it long". Contrary to a lot of teams, including our own, trying to win the game by outplaying them, we went for another strategy. And contrary to a lot of other teams, we got a point.

was a great point, said that too, but even a point at places is negated in the long run if you can’t beat any of your relegation peers and indeed, lose to some too. That’s the real measure/context a point should be seen in I.e. 4 from 15.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
was a great point, said that too, but even a point at places is negated in the long run if you can’t beat any of your relegation peers and indeed, lose to some too. That’s the real measure/context a point should be seen in I.e. 4 from 15.

Not sure why you are quoting me when you are ignoring every part of my response.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Glad you did. Sheffield is a vibrant city. Especially with alcohol.

Anyway, I think there’s two conversations going on. The result today (excellent, everyone in agreement on that front). And the result in context (poor home performances and inability to win rather than draw is likely to catch up with us come end of the season and negate today’s terrific result).

Unfortunately, being NSC, a lot of people simply cannot differentiate between the two. And only see any comment beyond ‘everything is rosey’ as some sort of betrayal of the good ship Albion.

Trouble is, when you’ve been aboard as long as I have, and I’ve seen plenty of rats jump overboard, you understand that it’s not. That it is ok to recognise before the final whistle (of the season that is) that we’re heading for the trapdoor and that it is possible to discuss why without getting all partisan and snow-flakery either. Like the number of games we’ve won since Christmas. Etc.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just got back myself.
Can only assume that most of the highly negative posters were not at the game.

That arguments lost its edge in the age of live streaming and radio commentary, today’s was not only local but national. Remember Withdean, the away fans were the last to know what was going on or had happened so not buying this I was there = I know best. Unless you’re talking about the atmosphere or the pies, granted, because get a much better view on the tele than the typical away fan section at most grounds. And besides, don’t think anyone is being negative about today’s performance. Great point. More than we managed at home. Whether we’re good enough to stay up, that’s a separate conversation and remains to be seen but I’m not hopeful. Just don’t think we have enough in the attacking sense.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Glad you did. Sheffield is a vibrant city. Especially with alcohol.

Anyway, I think there’s two conversations going on. The result today (excellent, everyone in agreement on that front). And the result in context (poor home performances and inability to win rather than draw is likely to catch up with us come end of the season and negate today’s terrific result).

Unfortunately, being NSC, a lot of people simply cannot differentiate between the two. And only see any comment beyond ‘everything is rosey’ as some sort of betrayal of the good ship Albion.

Trouble is, when you’ve been aboard as long as I have, and I’ve seen plenty of rats jump overboard, you understand that it’s not. That it is ok to recognise before the final whistle (of the season that is) that we’re heading for the trapdoor and that it is possible to discuss why without getting all partisan and snow-flakery either. Like the number of games we’ve won since Christmas. Etc.

The conversation on this thread is about today's game.
For those of us who go to most Albion games, this is about that experience.
Your agenda(conversation) belongs to a different kind of thread.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
All our midfielders put in a shift today and played their part in securing a hard-earned point. The thing I found frustrating was a lack of movement/options upfront when both Bissouma and Mooy had time and space looking for a killer forward passing option. Maupay who worked his socks off kept dropping deep and Murray in the twilight of his career can't provide enough movement.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The conversation on this thread is about today's game.
For those of us who go to most Albion games, this is about that experience.
Your agenda(conversation) belongs to a different kind of thread.

Ouch! :clap: But wait a second. This is the all fans thread. The Uber threads for fans who go to all away games and fans who go to most away games is over on a different board isn’t it? Leaving those of us with less time, money or even more important things to do to chat and squawk away like seagulls on this here thread. Unless I missed Bozzas memo in which case, where’s the Hereford Survivors Association thread - bet that’s gold members only and makes this one look like pig-iron if so.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
As I wrote in the match thread: was obvious from minute one that we did not want this game to be about the midfield. Hoof it long and force Sheffield to do the same was the tactic and it worked quite well. I think we should be pretty happy that Mooy-Pröpper-Bissouma vs Fleck-Berger-Norwood wasnt the key aspect of this game.

yep ...very busy , athletic team .......fair tactics and a good point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here