Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Red Card - Sheff Utd

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I have to say on first replay I thought, nah... But the more they showed it the more I thought it was going to be a red. It must have been close, one of those that if the ref saw it again in the monitor I think he would have given it.

Handball? Def penalty. Making his body bigger, outside normal silhouette - that's the rule isn't it?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
His poor first touch and aftermath never at any stage endangered Lundstram’s safety. Players can still make whole hearted tackles or plays for the ball, as long as they don’t.
The quality of Dunk's control has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have to say on first replay I thought, nah... But the more they showed it the more I thought it was going to be a red. It must have been close, one of those that if the ref saw it again in the monitor I think he would have given it.

Handball? Def penalty. Making his body bigger, outside normal silhouette - that's the rule isn't it?

I was in the car when the penalty shout happened, listening to Warren Aspinall. He said the players left hand was not in a ‘natural position’.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As I said elsewhere today all VAR does is facilitate more possible errors of judgement. The technology itself does nothing other than enable a human to make a decision. If that decision is wrong then it is still wrong even if technology assisted them in making it. Add in ambiguous wording like clear and obvious error which in itself is open to interpretation and it's just a cluster**** of potential errors.

Well said.

Especially when the clown in charge of it all is Mike Riley who seems to have zero empathy with the nature of the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was in the car when the penalty shout happened, listening to Warren Aspinall. He said the players left hand was not in a ‘natural position’.

He was right, he used his hand to stop the ball

I doubt match of the day will spend much time discussing Brighton tonight, it’ll be all about Sheffield United’s charge to the Champion’s League places having a little hiccup

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
His poor first touch and aftermath never at any stage endangered Lundstram’s safety. Players can still make whole hearted tackles or plays for the ball, as long as they don’t.

That’s because Lundstram is moving out of his way and rides the tackle. I don’t think his intent is for his foot to end where it does.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
it's been a bad day for VAR, no, correction it's been a bad day for those idiots earning a fortune at Stockley Park in missing the obvious after numerous viewings. It's become a joke.

It has always been a joke

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The quality of Dunk's control has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Of course it does! The challenge would never have happened otherwise.

Hospital pass, hospital control, nearly a hospital challenge. Thank **** it wasn't.

Our merry go round dart board selection theory has required LD at every juncture.

Back to the OP. . . .I didn't think it was a red. . . .the replays make you wonder though.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Definite Pen
Definite Red
Tactics spot on for the game, Potter is a craftsman working with someone else's tool kit, criticism will be justified once he has his own set of tools.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
From sufc.co.uk themselves...

There brief concern when VAR reviewed a possible red card following a 50/50 challenge between Lundstram and Dunk, but no action was taken.

Zero-proof reading throughout the entire article but clearly not red because it was 50/50. Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It's clear that most think he should have been sent off, and even I who didn't think he should have been sent off would not have thought it outrageous if he had been. The handball is bugging me though. If the ball has struck an attacking players hand in the build up to a goal, however unintentional or unavoidable, it is always ruled no goal on account of the handball, which makes me wonder if Sheffield had gone up the other end and scored directly after that handball, if VAR then would have given us a penalty?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Now then - this was my first game of the season, so only my second experience of VAR live (after the semi-final last year) and I had no idea all this discussion was going on. The handball shout was right in front of us, and everyone around me (whilst still calling for it) basically said 'no chance'. And as for the "VAR checking for serious foul play" up on the screen, we assumed it was for Dunk sliding in after losing control of the ball. From our end of the pitch, I had no idea of the actions of their chap. Having seen it on screen now - ouch!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Keown:

‘Worse than Lo Celso’s’

I’d like to see the keyboard warriors on here go face to face with Keown and tell him he’s wrong!

100% red all day long.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here