Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Red Card - Sheff Utd

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Why wasn't that a red? Lundstram launched himself, both feet off the ground, dangerously at Dunk and caught him on the knee. Ok Dunk had mis controlled the ball but that doesn't give the opponent the right to make a dangerous challenge.

sorry if its covered elsewhere.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why wasn't that a red? Lundstram launched himself, both feet off the ground, dangerously at Dunk and caught him on the knee. Ok Dunk had mis controlled the ball but that doesn't give the opponent the right to make a dangerous challenge.

Yep and it was penalty earlier too. The ref was a homer and we were seen off by him

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

See Spurs game.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Handball in the box and serious foul play with that stamp. Thought after the Spurs/Chelsea VAR nonsense they might give that as they didn't want to look stupid. However it seems the VAR refs are happy to look stupid. Oh well.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Surprised after they admitted they got the Spurs one wrong probably some championship gimp on the VAR scared of over ruling Scott

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
it's been a bad day for VAR, no, correction it's been a bad day for those idiots earning a fortune at Stockley Park in missing the obvious after numerous viewings. It's become a joke.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

It was not a both feet off the ground challenge, he went for the ball with one foot, Dunk slid his leg under that foot more than anything. Not a sending off, just unlucky.
The handball situation is what baffles me a bit, an unintentional and unavoidable hand ball in the area is not given as a foul, I presume because the penalty would seem a harsh punishment for an accidental hand ball, but a similar handball outside the area will be, and was, given and a free kick awarded. It's either a foul or it isn't, and if its in the area, it's a penalty.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I thought it was a clear red card, no need to jump into the challenge in that way and thankfully Dunk didn't get seriously injured.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Now that VAR have admitted they got it wrong, surely Lo Celso can be given a 3 match retrospective ban? Lundstram too if they decide they've had an all-round cock-up day.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Radio5 talking just then discussing the 2 Bramhall Lane incidents - they seem pretty confident that the Blades handball stopped the ball reaching an Albion player and the foul was on an obvious red card on a par with the Lo Celso assault today.

WTF is going through the mind of the VAR official who has a relaxed 2 minutes in a silent environment, without crowd pressure, to enact the laws of the game?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As I said elsewhere today all VAR does is facilitate more possible errors of judgement. The technology itself does nothing other than enable a human to make a decision. If that decision is wrong then it is still wrong even if technology assisted them in making it. Add in ambiguous wording like clear and obvious error which in itself is open to interpretation and it's just a cluster**** of potential errors.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Sheffield United 1-1 Brighton

Lewis Dunk is not happy at all about that challenge. If today has proven anything it's that if you don't get sent off by the ref on the pitch you've got to do something pretty horrific for VAR to show you a red
[22/02, 18:29] Paul: PENALTY APPEAL

Big penalty appeal from Brighton now as Ezequiel Schelotto's cross is charged down by Ben Osborn.
That hit him flush in the hand. No penalty given.
That was surely more of a handball than either of the big calls at Turf Moor. Baffling..

Both quotes from bbc sports.. so not just blue and white tinted glasses. Every comment from Chris Waddle was against us in their commentary

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It was not a both feet off the ground challenge, he went for the ball with one foot, Dunk slid his leg under that foot more than anything. Not a sending off, just unlucky..

happy to take another look but having seen the challenge from 3 or 4 different angles at the time I remain convinced it was a red. Lundstram was certainly not in control when he launched himself.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Maybe controversial but I dont think it was a red card (need to see it again though). Just a very fast and unlucky situation where Dunk put his leg in a very dangerous spot. He didnt seem too pissed off about the VAR decision either, so he obviously knew that it was a weird/unlucky situation rather than anything else. Dont think its comparable to the Lo Celso where the player had like a lot more time to act in a different way.

The penalty should have been given. It was not intentional, but he clearly used his arms to make his body bigger and then I think it should be a penalty (but what do I know, the handball rule seems to change every week).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
happy to take another look but having seen the challenge from 3 or 4 different angles at the time I remain convinced it was a red. Lundstram was certainly not in control when he launched himself.

No more out of control than Dunk sliding in, in my opinion, but I do seem to be in a minority.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Lewis Dunk is not happy at all about that challenge. If today has proven anything it's that if you don't get sent off by the ref on the pitch you've got to do something pretty horrific for VAR to show you a red
[22/02, 18:29] Paul: PENALTY APPEAL

Big penalty appeal from Brighton now as Ezequiel Schelotto's cross is charged down by Ben Osborn.
That hit him flush in the hand. No penalty given.
That was surely more of a handball than either of the big calls at Turf Moor. Baffling..

Both quotes from bbc sports.. so not just blue and white tinted glasses. Every comment from Chris Waddle was against us in their commentary

Waddle was very impressed with our unadventurous approach, he’s consistent, he loves team that play and not those that kick away possession to clear.

But in their review just then, they were all baffled by the huge 2 VAR blunders.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Maybe controversial but I dont think it was a red card (need to see it again though). Just a very fast and unlucky situation where Dunk put his leg in a very dangerous spot. He didnt seem too pissed off about the VAR decision either, so he obviously knew that it was a weird/unlucky situation rather than anything else. Dont think its comparable to the Lo Celso where the player had like a lot more time to act in a different way.

The penalty should have been given. It was not intentional, but he clearly used his arms to make his body bigger and then I think it should be a penalty (but what do I know, the handball rule seems to change every week).

Also, Dunk’s first touch was terrible causing the challenge to be a 50/50. Both went in equally committed. Not a red for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here