Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Punk Rock

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
You sure it wasn't the New Regent, also at the bottom of West St? Unless my memory's tricking me, that's where I saw Dillinger (in 1978, I think). The New Regent was a great venue, much smaller than the Top Rank but a nice, intimate vibe. I saw a few reggae acts there.

The Top Rank did have some reggae headliners - I saw Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs and Mikey Smith (just a few months before he was murdered) but there was a better atmosphere in the New Regent.

I'm pretty certain it was the Top Rank. Also there, I saw Toots & The Maytals, Heptones, Burning Spear, Selector, The Beat, and others I can't remember. I also saw Bob Marley at the Brighton Center, but that's another story.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
No it's not, on so many counts, although to be fair, it was one of his better records. To put the Brotherhood of Man on a punk music thread, though - or any sort of music thread for that matter - is just plain perverse.

On the other hand, this is the proper stuff .............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBE1VmThpAQ

By a quirk of coincidence, I'm going to see TV Smith tonight. Always a class act.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If everyone who claimed to be a punk back then actually was a punk then' the Sex Pistols would have filled Wembley Stadium, instead of a few tiny sweaty club/pub venues.

Their influence was in complete disproportion to their actual popularity at the time.

Best-selling singles[edit]
Wings had the best-selling single of the year with "Mull of Kintyre"/"Girls' School". The song spent twelve weeks in the top 10 (including nine weeks at number one) and was certified platinum by the BPI. "Don't Give Up on Us" by David Soul came in second place. Julie Covington's "Don't Cry for Me Argentina", "When I Need You" from Leo Sayer and "Silver Lady" by David Soul made up the top five. Songs by ABBA, Donna Summer, Elvis Presley, Hot Chocolate and Brotherhood of Man were also in the top ten best-selling singles of the year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_top-ten_singles_in_1977

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
If everyone who claimed to be a punk back then actually was a punk then' the Sex Pistols would have filled Wembley Stadium, instead of a few tiny sweaty club/pub venues.

Their influence was in complete disproportion to their actual popularity at the time.

Best-selling singles[edit]
Wings had the best-selling single of the year with "Mull of Kintyre"/"Girls' School". The song spent twelve weeks in the top 10 (including nine weeks at number one) and was certified platinum by the BPI. "Don't Give Up on Us" by David Soul came in second place. Julie Covington's "Don't Cry for Me Argentina", "When I Need You" from Leo Sayer and "Silver Lady" by David Soul made up the top five. Songs by ABBA, Donna Summer, Elvis Presley, Hot Chocolate and Brotherhood of Man were also in the top ten best-selling singles of the year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_top-ten_singles_in_1977

Not sure you can gauge popularity by sales of singles. If so Led Zeppelin were the least successful band in history as they never released any (in the UK).

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Probably due to the mainstream media at the time being 3 channels and main radio stations not playing the records much ("plus weren't the Sex Pistols banned from the BBC?).

Long before INTERNET so what we had access to was very limited. As a young teenager in the mid 70s, my music choices were very restricted in terms of being able to watch and listen to Punk - but definitely felt the influence.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think Dave is the only one still alive, I'd heard all the others had died - I definitely know Oz has.

I saw them many times too, including seeing them in Manchester. Took them aback to see someone from Brighton in the audience. Oz was a great bloke; he sat in on a Brighton Riot Squad rehearsal once when our drummer hadn't turned up and laid down a vicious beat.

That's sad to hear.

I must have seen you play - remember the name - but I feel as though I ought to have remembered seeing Attila (unless he was less noticable back then). I practically lived in the Vault. Did you support Poison Ivy at all? I met Miles through the old mailing list and coincidentally he worked in Scotland with an old school mate of mine. Tiny world.

All the best :thumbsup:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Just spent 20 minutes reading the wiki entry. Makes a good read. Of what I know, there are few apocrypha.

Those were the bloody days. 76-78. And then the launch to other things.

This was the disruptive event in music and culture that transformed me from someone who was expected to know his place to someone who (well, some of you know what I can be like).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_rock

So....was there a punk rock record that blew your tiny mind? This was mine. Unbe****inleavable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUxFQ5QBiYk

Brian James who wrote New Rose is going to get a lifetime achievment award...
https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/22/damned-new-rose-brian-james-punk-oscar

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I hated punk at the time, but I was a rather snotty prog fan then.

I've rather mellowed with age, and quite like most of it now. I'll even admit to liking some Disco (in strict moderation). However I rather lost interest in new music after Britpop.

I will be spending much of my Monday commute next week playing the Pistols very loud in the car.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hated punk at the time, but I was a rather snotty prog fan then.

I've rather mellowed with age, and quite like most of it now. I'll even admit to liking some Disco (in strict moderation). However I rather lost interest in new music after Britpop.

I will be spending much of my Monday commute next week playing the Pistols very loud in the car.

In all serious there is vast amounts of music to check out that is well worth the trouble. You have to set your prejudices aside, though (yes, quite a lot of 'pop people' do look like absolute nobs, and genre stereotyping can be a barrier to enjoyment :lolol:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here