Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Car advice please

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Well he is fairly local. Reading the other posts on here, I don't get the feeling he's making it up.

No I'm not saying he is, its a valid thing to say. Its just the usual go to saying when getting clutch quote and doesn't necessarily need doing.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Well he is fairly local. Reading the other posts on here, I don't get the feeling he's making it up.

They wont be. It's no skin of their nose if they replace it or not. It's no additional labour as they will have the part off anyway. Sounds like they might be quoting for the genuine Toyota part though - you could probably bring the price down if you find someone who would use aftermarket parts if you are comfortable doing that.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have absolutely no idea how someone can enjoy driving.
Certainly not someone living in the south east of England.

Well done you, (not being sarcastic) I wish I could see it as anything other than a completely unnecessary yet necessary evil.

For me it's much the same as why I like riding - it's a mindfulness thing, seeing the world pass by, feeling the road under the wheels, plus the added bonus of listening to good tunes.

Obviously it does lack the fitness, endorphins and challenge aspects, though.
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] you have now got me worried that my clutch is going to fall out. I've done 80k but it's going to be a year or so until I get a new car so 20k+ and my wife is learning to drive in it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The garage where the car is at have quoted £1100, for the clutch and flywheel. I asked if they knew the flywheel needed replacing and he said he wouldn't know until the gearbox was out (as we know), but he'd advise replacing it anyway, because if it wasn't the flywheel, and the flywheel then goes in a year, we'll need to do both again.

Thoughts?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] you have now got me worried that my clutch is going to fall out. I've done 80k but it's going to be a year or so until I get a new car so 20k+ and my wife is learning to drive in it.
I've just looked up at the sky and I saw a vision - it was a vision of your car lasting another year with clutch intact.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
The garage where the car is at have quoted £1100, for the clutch and flywheel. I asked if they knew the flywheel needed replacing and he said he wouldn't know until the gearbox was out (as we know), but he'd advise replacing it anyway, because if it wasn't the flywheel, and the flywheel then goes in a year, we'll need to do both again.

Thoughts?

My car has just ticked over 100k miles and I'm budgeting for both the clutch and flywheel needing to be done. It's a bit like having the water pump done at the same time as the cam belt, the the biggest issue is normally the labour so you might as well get both done.

Although £700 is a fair chunk for just in case.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Way forward these days is leasing...

Your £700 - £1100 could be most of the deposit against a lease, then you get a brand new car with manufacturers warranty, no maintenance worries for ages, and all the safety and reliability which goes with a brand new car. Yes, you've got a monthly payment - but it's not a fortune and there are zero surprises in store.

https://www.vehiclesavers.com/car-leasing/vauxhall/grandland-x-hatchback/1.2t-se-5dr.html

Something like the above ticks many boxes!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My car has just ticked over 100k miles and I'm budgeting for both the clutch and flywheel needing to be done. It's a bit like having the water pump done at the same time as the cam belt, the the biggest issue is normally the labour so you might as well get both done.

Although £700 is a fair chunk for just in case.
Thanks. The new quote is £100 less (£1100 vs £1200). It's about £570 more than just the clutch. If the flywheel is the sort of thing that is likely to go wrong at some point (if it hasn't already), then it makes sense to do it now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
How comes you can't drive it to the garage?
Usually you'll notice the clutch slipping and getting progressively worse over a period of time allowing you to realise you've got to get the vehicle in somewhere for the work.
If it's happened suddenly then it's likely you're looking at something else likely the clutch slave cylinder or a busted hose.

The slave cylinders come in two flavours :
"External"= nice easy cheap fix.
"Internal" concentric type = have to separate gearbox and engine to replace as clutch.
If the internal type is kaput then it could have sprayed your clutch with fluid necessitating it being replaced anyhow.

There is no reason the flywheel would "have" to be replaced if the clutch is knackered anyway. A knackered clutch won't necessarily knock out the flywheel.
You could possibly hear the flywheel making a chattering noise if it was on its way out and also possibly feel increased vibration in the car and through the clutch pedal. They will make a mark- up on the part and charge extra labour to replace the flywheel.
Many dual mass flywheels get replaced as a precautionary measure. Handy.

The 2.2 d-4d engine suffers from a couple of issues to consider but I wouldn't let them influence your decision as you've covered 110000 miles in it already.

Injectors get stuck in the cylinder head. Not a problem unless one fails and you need to swap it out. Likelihood? Nobody knows. They also get in the way of removing the cylinder head unless they're removed. Which leads me to :
Cylinder head/overheating problems caused by mainly EGR valve/engine design issues. Common reported fault that can cost a bundle to sort.

If it is the clutch, I would get it replaced and keep the car. Keep the remaining money in your bank for a rainy day.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That depends on the price.

I'm confused by the contract length - going from 2 years to 4 years, I assumed the price would come down (as I thought you'd be committing to having the same car for longer), but it went up. Does 'contract length' mean something else?

All about the residuals. There will be a tipping point where the car will suddenly drop in value on the second hand market.

I have a car on lease at the moment and they would only do a 2 year lease, as in year 3 they think it will take a significant drop. Also worth noting 4 year leases are a bad idea ; generally warranty is 2 or 3 years, from my experience in year 4 you start seeing some issues, expensive leasing.

I'll only ever lease now; hassle free motoring. Always in a new car covered by warranty, tax is covered. You can get good deals on 'maintenance' which also includes servicing, tyres etc.

Can't understand people that spend £10k-£15k of cash lump sum on something that will probably be worthless when they finish with it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That depends on the price.

I'm confused by the contract length - going from 2 years to 4 years, I assumed the price would come down (as I thought you'd be committing to having the same car for longer), but it went up. Does 'contract length' mean something else?

I’m no mathematician but I reckon it’ll cost over 4k plus any deposit and at the end of two years you own....zilch. May be wrong

The neighbours will be impressed though :wink:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m no mathematician but I reckon it’ll cost over 4k plus any deposit and at the end of two years you own....zilch. May be wrong

The neighbours will be impressed though :wink:

He now owns a car that is worth.... zilch ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He now owns a car that is worth.... zilch ???

And unlikely to cost him over 4k in the next two years unless he’s hacking up and down a motorway every day

As a driver of older cars I have never seen the sense in leasing unless you do mega miles, much more expensive than maintaining a decent older car in my experience. I have had old Porsches that appreciate in value and don’t cost that in maintenance over two years either (I don’t do high mileage though) :shrug:

Not convinced classic cars will be going anywhere but down in value with what’s going on with electric cars now though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh god my car man has hit me with a shitehouse choice.

I currently drive a big 2ltr estate, which costs a small fortune compared to what I get from it (only 10,000+ miles etc)

So do I buy:-

The 1.2ltr green Corsa, which will save me a small fortune, that he's been threatening me with for a week or so.
Or (he just got)
a 1.6ltr blue Volvo S40, which will save me about £10 a month!!

I was slowly coming round to the Corsa (that's how much I hate myself).
Now I know I'm going to still end up with a slightly less impractical car, because I just don't hate myself that much. :lol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And unlikely to cost him over 4k in the next two years unless he’s hacking up and down a motorway every day

Tyres, MOT, Service, brake pads, tax, anything else that might go wrong and then take days to fix.

Not saying it’s right for everyone but older cars are just money over money to keep going - and then be scrapped or sold for very little anyway

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All about the residuals. There will be a tipping point where the car will suddenly drop in value on the second hand market.
Makes sense, thanks.

I have a car on lease at the moment and they would only do a 2 year lease, as in year 3 they think it will take a significant drop. Also worth noting 4 year leases are a bad idea ; generally warranty is 2 or 3 years, from my experience in year 4 you start seeing some issues, expensive leasing.

I'll only ever lease now; hassle free motoring. Always in a new car covered by warranty, tax is covered. You can get good deals on 'maintenance' which also includes servicing, tyres etc.
Ok, so the only extra costs you get are servicing (which presumably has to be with the manufacturer?), tyres and insurance (and fuel, obvs). They cover road tax for you? And that's the case if you lease for 2 or 3 years.

Can't understand people that spend £10k-£15k of cash lump sum on something that will probably be worthless when they finish with it.
Well if £15k lasts you 12 years, then it's only £1,250 a year (plus the cost of the money). £100 a month doesn't get you much of a lease.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Makes sense, thanks.

Ok, so the only extra costs you get are servicing (which presumably has to be with the manufacturer?), tyres and insurance (and fuel, obvs). They cover road tax for you? And that's the case if you lease for 2 or 3 years.

Well if £15k lasts you 12 years, then it's only £1,250 a year (plus the cost of the money). £100 a month doesn't get you much of a lease.

Yes but factor in everything on top of the £15k over that 12 years.

Generally a car should only need 1 service on a 2 year lease. Tyres, possibly, possibly not depending on the car and mileage. Yes road tax on any length of lease as you don’t own the car so can’t tax it yourself. But some will do a maintenance pack for extra per month which covers everything / anything like tyres, servicing. Tends to only work out for higher mileage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here