Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Car advice please

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A bit braggy I know, but we've got a Toyota Verso 2.2 diesel, which is just over 12 years old, with 110k on the clock. It's been a reliable car, but the clutch has just died. Although we'll know more once we have a price to replace the clutch, I know it would be cheap, and the question we'll be facing is:

Should we just scrap the car
or should we get the clutch fixed?

If we do replace the clutch and the car carries on for a couple more years, it will have been worth it (we're happy with the car, and the cost per year would be lower than buying another car), but if everything on it starts going wrong it'll be throwing good money after bad.

So my question to the wise people of NSC is:
Does a 12 year old Toyota Verso go wrong a lot, and require lots of money spent on it?
or once it's got a new clutch, is it likely to plod along happy enough for another couple of years?

Notes:
It's been looked after well enough, doesn't burn oil, no other signs of problems. Wepaypeanutsforcars gives a value of £880 (if the clutch was working).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It might last. Or it might not. Hope that helps :smile:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A bit braggy I know, but we've got a Toyota Verso 2.2 diesel, which is just over 12 years old, with 110k on the clock. It's been a reliable car, but the clutch has just died. Although we'll know more once we have a price to replace the clutch, I know it would be cheap, and the question we'll be facing is:

If we do replace the clutch and the car carries on for a couple more years, it will have been worth it (we're happy with the car, and the cost per year would be lower than buying another car), but if everything on it starts going wrong it'll be throwing good money after bad.

Does a 12 year old Toyota Verso go wrong a lot, and require lots of money spent on it?
or once it's got a new clutch, is it likely to plod along happy enough for another couple of years?

Notes:
It's been looked after well enough, doesn't burn oil, no other signs of problems. Wepaypeanutsforcars gives a value of £880 (if the clutch was working).

Get a quote from Mr Clutch in Shoreham, I believe they give fixed prices too.. They use pattern parts rather than the expensive manufacturers but should be good for a few years and yes Jap cars are pretty solid and reliable.....but mostly fecking DULL to drive (I speak from experience as I have a 2003 Lexus and it’s hewn from granite but christ it’s boring)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Notes:
[B]It's been looked after well enough, doesn't burn oil, no other [/B]signs of problems. Wepaypeanutsforcars gives a value of £880 (if the clutch was working).

This sort of answers your question.
We've had a VW Polo since 2010, again only had the clutch changed and no other major issues.
Well looked after, so not looking to change :)

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Get the clutch fixed. It'll probably be the thick end of a grand for a 2.2L diesel, but the clutch is a wear and tear thing really and 110k isn't so bad for a clutch. Chances are it'll be good for many years if its been regularly serviced.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have a Toyota verso and love it. Mines not as old and a petrol though so can't be of that much help. Worth noting though that Toyota have discontinued them in Europe.

Have always been a Toyota fan boy and am struggling to work out what to get next.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
It might last. Or it might not. Hope that helps :smile:

If all my clients drove Japanese cars I'd be delivering the post or the milk or out of work completely. I'm surprised it's had a clutch failure at that mileage. Does it do lots of stop- start or,town work. Generally,Toyota are among the best along with Honda. It's not unusual to see them with way over 200,000 miles on them, ask your local mini-cab office. So, my answer is, get the clutch done and enjoy a few more years of trouble (ish ) free motoring. Oh, and if you see me sleeping rough, lob us a bit of shrapnel for a Costa would you?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I don't think there is an answer to this question.

I'm in a similar situation - I buy new and keep for at least ten years. 2009 Skoda Fabia, 130,000 miles, going as perfectly as it always has. The only thing that has ever gone wrong was the driver's side window and if I'd got it fixed (last year) by a main dealer the cost would have been equal to 50 per cent of the car's value. As it is, the car is one defunct ECU away from being valueless.

So whatever choice you make now, it will be an uninformed leap of faith. (If it was me, and the quote for the clutch was no more than, say, £400 and the car was solid with a good MoT, I'd repair it.)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Also worth pointing out that if you buy a second hand car it’ll likely need money spending on it anyway, unless it’s pretty recent :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Get a quote from Mr Clutch in Shoreham
Done, thank you (I think).

Well...
if there's a problem with the flywheel, which has caused the clutch to go, that will need replacing too. £1210! :mad:
If not £523.20 :banana:

No way of knowing in advance :facepalm:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Labour is the big issue.

I suggest you PM [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] and ask him how long he thinks a job like this may take...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Done, thank you (I think).

Well...
if there's a problem with the flywheel, which has caused the clutch to go, that will need replacing too. £1210! :mad:
If not £523.20 :banana:

No way of knowing in advance :facepalm:

Good luck :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This sort of answers your question.
We've had a VW Polo since 2010, again only had the clutch changed and no other major issues.
Well looked after, so not looking to change :)
Thank you :)

Get the clutch fixed. It'll probably be the thick end of a grand for a 2.2L diesel, but the clutch is a wear and tear thing really and 110k isn't so bad for a clutch. Chances are it'll be good for many years if its been regularly serviced.
Thank you :)

I have a Toyota verso and love it. Mines not as old and a petrol though so can't be of that much help. Worth noting though that Toyota have discontinued them in Europe.

Have always been a Toyota fan boy and am struggling to work out what to get next.
Sorry, was there a point to this post?
:wink: :kiss:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Labour is the big issue.

I suggest you PM [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] and ask him how long he thinks a job like this may take...

He’ll also lend you a bike as a courtesy vehicle probably

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
For £1200 you’re probably not going to get a better used car, most at the cheaper end will have something about to break/wear out. Better the devil you know etc.

Unless you just need an excuse to get a much newer car then I would just get it fixed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If it was me, and the quote for the clutch was no more than, say, £400 and the car was solid with a good MoT, I'd repair it.
I kinda knew it was going to be more than that before I started :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Labour is the big issue.

I was kinda expecting his to be the first reply. I think I've upset him.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
RIP the clutch #prayfortheyflywheelthingy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here