Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alex Dawson is 80 today

It was with some trepidation that I checked with Wiki that the big man was still with us, although I was surprised to discover he was only 5' 10". He's living in Northamptonshire AFAIK (his last club was Corby Town). Another fact new to me was that he scored two hat-tricks within a week for Manchester United, for whom he was a Busby Babe and fortunate not to be selected for the trip to Belgrade in 1958. His 18th birthday was marred by the death of team mate Duncan Edwards, 62 years ago today.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yes happy birthday Alex. One of my schoolboy heroes. From what I recall he had one really great season when playing for us and scored with a superb flying header v Crewe. I am not sure he would have suited VAR.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Yes happy birthday Alex. One of my schoolboy heroes. From what I recall he had one really great season when playing for us and scored with a superb flying header v Crewe. I am not sure he would have suited VAR.

Does it matter if the goalkeeper is still holding the ball when it hires the back of the net?

One of my schoolboy heroes too.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I remember seeing him at the Goldstone.
Only 5ft 10in. but built like a tank, a real old fashioned centre-forward.
Happy 80th birthday,Alex. I must say, I thought he was a bit older than that.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Spoilt for proper centre forwards in the 60s. Him and, prior to that, Bobby Smith. Back in the days when you only got to see these players in newspapers, books and magazines, who were the stuff of legend. Having them at the Goldstone was just fantastic.
Dawson helped keep United afloat after Munich.

el punal

I always thought he was brought in from Preston by United after Munich. Happy Birthday Alex. Ooh Ooh.

No, he was definitely on United’s books prior to the Munich air crash. I believe he was selected to go to Belgrade (the game against Red Star) as cover for Tommy Taylor, who was recovering from injury. At the last moment Alex was told that he should remain in Manchester and not travel with the team.

P.S. Alex was transferred to Preston in 1961 and played for them in the 1964 cup final.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Black Prince! What a player he was, he was passed his peak when he signed for us but was still mightily effective.

There's someone that the club should get down as a guest. It would be good to see him as half-time interviewee

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
My first Albion hero, a proper centre forward. And absolutely terrifying when as a 7 year old sitting on the wall, he was running towards the north stand goal

I remember asking about a particular photo of him on here some years ago. Can't put the photo on this thread but it's here https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?280768-The-Picture-of-Alex-Dawson-standing-one-arm-raised-having-just-scored&p=5759188&viewfull=1#post5759188

Happy Birthday

Years Team Apps (Gls)
1957–1961 Manchester United 80 (45)
1961–1967 Preston North End 197 (114)
1967–1968 Bury 50 (21)
1968–1971 Brighton & Hove Albion 57 (26)

Some very impressive stats - could do a job ?

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I don't know how many games they played together - but presume that Alex Dawson formed a pretty useful combination with Kit Napier?

The 'old school' hard man, in Dawson - together with the flair of Napier. Not too shabby!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
No, he was definitely on United’s books prior to the Munich air crash. I believe he was selected to go to Belgrade (the game against Red Star) as cover for Tommy Taylor, who was recovering from injury. At the last moment Alex was told that he should remain in Manchester and not travel with the team.

P.S. Alex was transferred to Preston in 1961 and played for them in the 1964 cup final.

Cheers.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
One memory (unreliable) is that the keeper had the ball in his arms and Alex still launched himself at the ball. (and keeper). You wouldn't want to be a keeper diving at his feet.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Happy birthday Alex, and hopefully many more. Ah.. the days of old fashioned centre forwards has disappeared but he Albion had some fine ones in the 50/60's. Not just Alex, but Bobby Smith and the first one I saw as a 6 year old - Bert Adinall. Now Bert took keeper, ball and any defender in his way into the net. And I wanted, and became a goalkeeper, must have been mad!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here