Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Charlie Chase RIP

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Charlie-Chase-far-right-scores-home-v-Norwich-FA-Cup-9-Jan-1946.jpeg

Charlie Chase, Albion's oldest surviving player has passed away at the age of 96.

He went on to play 19 times for the Albion before enlisting with the Royal Sussex Regiment in 1942, with whom he served in Egypt, Palestine and France.
He was wounded shortly after D Day in 1944, having volunteered for the Parachute Regiment, and was*subsequently invalided out of the Army in May 1945.
Charlie recovered sufficiently to sign professional forms with the Albion that December and went on to play six FA Cup games before*spells with Watford and Crystal Palace.
Having made 55 league appearances for the Eagles, he left the game prematurely in 1950 to run a tobacconist shop in Islingword Road and later became a groundsman at Brighton College, then Oxford University, before returning to Patcham following his retirement.

We pass on our sympathies to Charlie's family and friends at this sad time.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1616133/charlie-chase

Last edited:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Total respect, this legendary young chap was invalided out of the Army in May 1945, as a result of his D Day sustained injuries. And 7 months later he signed professional terms for BHA! Absolutely magical! RIP. And, thank you.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Don’t make em like this anymore that’s for sure. What a great story and remarkable man. May he rest in peace.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
RIP Fella, and thank you.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
RIP Charlie but I think my great uncle may be older and still surviving as far as I know
Goes by the name of Jack Vitty and played a few games for the Albion before falling out with the manager due to his drinking and love of women.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here