Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Other than 2 nice turns in the first 10 minutes, Percy seemed to jog around in dangerous positions while the game went on around him. Almost like a ref does.

Yes, Doing a lot of running round in circles but not actually influencing much. Difficult to judge on this appearance but he looks a bit small, lightweight and might struggle to influence matches in the PL.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He's more likely to play again against RM than he is play for the Albion.

It's been widely reported he can't get a work permit and will be sold (for a profit) in the Summer.

Hasn’t naylor basically said no chance of a WP and will be sold in summer?

Does anyone have any idea how Samatta of Tanzania, playing in the Belgian league, can get a work permit for Villa, but Tau of South Africa, playing in the Belgian league, cannot get one for us?

My guess is he could, but we don't think he's good enough so aren't bothering just yet

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Does anyone have any idea how Samatta of Tanzania, playing in the Belgian league, can get a work permit for Villa, but Tau of South Africa, playing in the Belgian league, cannot get one for us?

My guess is he could, but we don't think he's good enough so aren't bothering just yet

The transfer fee.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Ibrox is rocking

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

It's to do with the FIFA ranking of the country they're from and how many international matches they've played for their country amongst other things. Though Tanzania are well down the rankings compared to South Africa.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Samatta had been living and working in Belgium for several years, enough to have picked up Belgian (i.e. EU) citizenship.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Fee paid for Samatta > Fee paid for Tau
Samatta wages > Tau wages

It seemed a little strange that suddenly the message came out that he probably wouldn't get a permit.

My guess is we made the application around the same time as we made Mac Allister's, and Percy failed to get the work permit.
Of course, the club wouldn't advertise this as his value could drop.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It's to do with the FIFA ranking of the country they're from and how many international matches they've played for their country amongst other things. Though Tanzania are well down the rankings compared to South Africa.

quite, Tanzania are lower than South Africa

Samatta had been living and working in Belgium for several years, enough to have picked up Belgian (i.e. EU) citizenship.

No, not this, if he had Belgian citizienship he wouldn't have needed a work permit. But he did need one, and he got it

Fee paid for Samatta > Fee paid for Tau
Samatta wages > Tau wages

I doubt its the wages, because we would have given him a pay-rise in the application for a work permit in order to meet that requirement.

Can only be the fee, but again, does £8m get in the top 50 percentile of transfers in the premier league? Guess it must.

In fact, looking at the requirements, if you're prepared to splash even a relatively moderate amount of cash, ANY player can get a work permit:

If a player fails to meet the above FA requirements for automatic endorsement (i.e. playing for top 50 ranked team), the football club can appeal under the FA appeals process to the Exceptions Panel. The criteria for the Exceptions Panel is split into ‘Objective Criteria’ and ‘Subjective Criteria’.

Players need 4 or more points from Part A or 5 or more from Parts A and B together.

PART A CRITERIA POINTS AVAILABLE

Transfer fee being paid for the player is between 50th and 75th percentile of all Premier League transfers in the previous season 2 points

The wages being paid to the player are between the 50th and 75th percentile of the top 30 earners at each Premier League club in the previous season 2 points

Bam, four points right there, objective criteria met. Our fault was getting him too cheap!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can only be the fee, but again, does £8m get in the top 50 percentile of transfers in the premier league? Guess it must.

Why do you keep saying that, the fee was somewhere in the region of £3.5m.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Maybe the recruitment department have judged that he's just not good enough and isn't worth the wage required to get him the work permit?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe the recruitment department have judged that he's just not good enough and isn't worth the wage required to get him the work permit?

I doubt it's quite that brutal, although not far off.

I'll hazard a guess his value, in the open market around Europe, with a sell on, is now greater than the necessary wage increase, for a player who would be fighting for a position in the starting XI.
Esp when considering just how little amount of money the club paid for him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think this is my feeling, we could get him a WP if we really really wanted - but we don't

Agreed. Having stepped up a level from last season (and still at a level somewhat below the PL) he's not exactly tearing it up. In fact, he doesn't even seem to be holding down a regular starting place in the Bruges team.

I've come round to thinking that little Perce is one of our speculative buys that won't ever play for us in the stripes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here