Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Complete And Utter Shyster Podcast

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
As always I'm enjoying your contribution to the world of Podcasts.

Re today's episode and West Ham.

You've enlightened me (us) in the past about offsetting future income with current loans.

You seemed to take it up a level further with West Ham mortgaging next seasons TV money.
Previously it's turned out to be a case of 'everybody is doing it', is that the same here?

Or have the Hammers gone alone beyond what to someone as thick as me, and financially cautious, judge to be safe.

On the face of it, it seems like a reckless decision, even if they made it in September when they were 6th.
Shhh. What are you doing? It's rubbish. Football finance is rubbish. Collaborating with THE ENEMY is rubbish.

Damn you Presidente, damn you Brother. Damn you.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Fun and interesting.

Its very easy to forget referees are human beings, and that the job is insanely difficult. I've only reffed at kid level and even at that level its crazy hard to get everything right, dealing with angry coaches etc.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Me too. He gave the decision as he saw it, still think it was very harsh. In hindsight he perhaps did us a favour as we would probably have come straight down as Boro did themselves. Our squad was much stronger the following season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent point and very, very true.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Me too. He gave the decision as he saw it,

Point of order here - and this is the crux of the issue, with his performance that day - he absolutely did NOT 'give the decision as he saw it'. That is simply, fundamentally NOT the case.

How he 'saw it' (the actual Stephens challenge) was as a transgression worthy of a yellow card. The yellow card that he got out ready to flourish.

He gave a red card, in response to:

A) the sight of blood on Gaston's leg
B) Gaston knocking the yellow from his hand
C) the reaction of the other Boro players

It was a very, very poor bit of refereeing.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
But do we go to the football to watch the ref be a "showman"?

When I trained as a referee we were taught that the idea was NOT to be noticed. If I got through a game with no contentious issues and no abuse I thought I had done a good job. The idea is that we want to see the players doing the showing off - not the bloody referee. And that is why The Complete And Utter Shyster will always be The Complete And Utter Shyster!

Totally this. The best compliment I had after a game was, when shaking hands with the brick shit house of a center back “you had a good game ref, didn’t notice you were there”...!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
TameRashKomododragon-size_restricted.gif

Is that clip where he’s just played an advantage and is celebrating the fact that allowing played to go on was vindicated by the goal?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Thought he came across like a right cock personally.

Everyone knows who Mike Dean is because he courts controversy. As others have said the best referees are the ones you don't notice.

Boro game aside I can't recall games where he's been particularly shit (or at least worse than any of the others) for us in fact since that game when we've had him and we've all had the pre match groan I think he's been pretty good for us. But there has been plenty of shockers he's had for other teams.

One positive thing I will say about him is that he seemed A LOT more human than Dermot Gallagher. He says on the podcast that he hopes to have at least another season in him, one can only assume by doing said podcast he is probably looking to keep his earning ability going post his retirement. If its gets that robot Gallagher off our screens then I'm all for it!

Jimmy Grimble

My missus used to work at a conference centre/hotel which the PGMOL used to regularly book out. She said that Dean always went out of his way to be friendly and talk to the staff there and seemed very down to earth when a lot of the other refs didn't bother. Funnily enough she also said this about Clattenburg which I was surprised at. Just shows that judging refs on their 'matchday persona' isn't always the most accurate way to gauge how they are off the pitch.

Interesting.

Didn’t our players on the morning of that game against Boro say that he was extremely pally with their players but barely made eye contact with ours? This was in a hotel that they were all in I think?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is that clip where he’s just played an advantage and is celebrating the fact that allowing played to go on was vindicated by the goal?

Yep, he addressed that in the pod, claiming it was his most controversial or 'Mike Dean' moment referring, I think he said.

I listened while in the car this morning and thought he came across very well. A classic case of judging a book by their cover, when actually he's just a normal bloke who referees with a certain 'style'! I've always got the impression that he's attention-seeking and has ideas above his station, but I genuinely think it's his passion for the job and because of the journey he has been on to get there, that he takes it very seriously.

It was also clear that he absolutely HATES people saying the same sort of things to him outside of his job, which I kinda get. You wouldn't do that to many other people when they weren't working.

The only slightly unnerving thing was that he sounds a bit too much like Robbie Savage :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here