Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Complete And Utter Shyster Podcast

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not really a "refs" perspective though, is it?

More specifically a complete and utter ****'s perspective.

(Will listen later. Perhaps he comes across brilliantly. Does he?)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Came across very well. Does his job as best he can, professional, admits that he is a showman, but ultimately he’s got where he is today by hard work. Fair play to him.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Not really a "refs" perspective though, is it?

More specifically a complete and utter ****'s perspective.

(Will listen later. Perhaps he comes across brilliantly. Does he?)

I thought so, but then again I enjoy the pantomime aspect of it all, after all it would be boring without it. He knows how’s he, and refs, are perceived and plays up to it. They get given so much rubbish, they’ve got to be given some way to give it back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Came across very well. Does his job as best he can, professional, admits that he is a showman, but ultimately he’s got where he is today by hard work and killing chickens. Fair play to him.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Came across very well. Does his job as best he can, professional, admits that he is a showman, but ultimately he’s got where he is today by hard work. Fair play to him.

But do we go to the football to watch the ref be a "showman"?

When I trained as a referee we were taught that the idea was NOT to be noticed. If I got through a game with no contentious issues and no abuse I thought I had done a good job. The idea is that we want to see the players doing the showing off - not the bloody referee. And that is why Mike Dean will always be Mike Dean!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

"showman". OK then...:glare:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He was 17 stone and decided to get off his arse and referee to get fit whilst working in a chicken factory.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of idiosyncrasy, Collina had it in spades, but ultimately he's still going in the Premier League at 51 because he gets most decisions right.

I did like him saying that if Aguerro had already had a yellow card when he scored 'that' goal to win the Premier League MR would not have given him a second yellow.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Owned up to still joining in with "the referees a wanker" chants when supporting his beloved Tranmere, but also said he ends up studying the ref as much as the game when he's there as a fan.

Great pod. There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and he often crosses it, but overall he comes across well in this.

Consistently one of the best pods out there btw, Crouch gives some fascinating insights into the game. Most of them not too serious.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
But do we go to the football to watch the ref be a "showman"?

When I trained as a referee we were taught that the idea was NOT to be noticed. If I got through a game with no contentious issues and no abuse I thought I had done a good job. The idea is that we want to see the players doing the showing off - not the bloody referee. And that is why The Complete And Utter Shyster will always be The Complete And Utter Shyster!

This. Even the rules say that the referee is 'as if part of the pitch'. They should literally be invisible. The trouble with Mike Dean is that he actually *wants* to be the centre of attention and so if there is no contraversy, he will make some himself. Dick.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
My missus used to work at a conference centre/hotel which the PGMOL used to regularly book out. She said that Dean always went out of his way to be friendly and talk to the staff there and seemed very down to earth when a lot of the other refs didn't bother. Funnily enough she also said this about Clattenburg which I was surprised at. Just shows that judging refs on their 'matchday persona' isn't always the most accurate way to gauge how they are off the pitch.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My missus used to work at a conference centre/hotel which the PGMOL used to regularly book out. She said that Dean always went out of his way to be friendly and talk to the staff there and seemed very down to earth when a lot of the other refs didn't bother. Funnily enough she also said this about Clattenburg which I was surprised at. Just shows that judging refs on their 'matchday persona' isn't always the most accurate way to gauge how they are off the pitch.

Jonathan Moss didn’t speak to anyone, because there was a free buffet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
TameRashKomododragon-size_restricted.gif

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

It’s rather worrying having been at Bro on that ignominious day, but I’m beginning to think he is actually a very good referee ....certainly compared to some of the planks ive witnessed at the Amex this season

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It’s rather worrying having been at Bro on that ignominious day, but I’m beginning to think he is actually a very good referee ....certainly compared to some of the planks ive witnessed at the Amex this season

Me too. He gave the decision as he saw it, still think it was very harsh. In hindsight he perhaps did us a favour as we would probably have come straight down as Boro did themselves. Our squad was much stronger the following season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s a good ref. Light years ahead of Friend and Atkinson, error strewn wnkrs and arrogant with it.

In the cool light of day, but it took me a couple of years to concede it, I can see why he gave a red. Still wrong imho.

That decision is non controversial compared to the astonishing blunders we’ve seen in the PL pre and post VAR.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As always I'm enjoying your contribution to the world of Podcasts.

Re today's episode and West Ham.

You've enlightened me (us) in the past about offsetting future income with current loans.

You seemed to take it up a level further with West Ham mortgaging next seasons TV money.
Previously it's turned out to be a case of 'everybody is doing it', is that the same here?

Or have the Hammers gone alone beyond what to someone as thick as me, and financially cautious, judge to be safe.

On the face of it, it seems like a reckless decision, even if they made it in September when they were 6th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here