Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex expansion.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Of course they do things I don’t like. I don’t like the seats now being closer together...But I actually love going to the Albion....it brings me closer to my family and friends

Make your mind up, Jem. :rolleyes:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Just want to clear things up. At the start of the lockdown season, our capacity was about 30,666. During this season, Barber said they wanted to increase the capacity to 32,500. This was going to be done by adding more seats in the ‘spaces’ between existing seats. 2 extra seats were added in most rows of nearly every block in the East Stand Lower, I think similar was done to either the West Stand Upper, or West Stand Lower. The same could probably done to every other block. The capacity is now 31,800 because of this. The plans said the North Stand ‘tier’ (or whatever you want to call it, looks like a tier to me) was going to have 5 rows containing 300+ seats, no more, no less. I think the North East plan was for about 50 seats, it was to mirror the South East corner. They was some speculation on here as to where the extra 300+ seats were going to be added. The lounge behind the new seating had the name of ‘The Northern Lights’, this also had a plan on the council site.

In summary, it wasn’t just fan speculation, it was planned and we were told about it at the time. I was really looking forward to the stadium looking better. If we can’t afford it, fair enough, not sure why Barber had to lie about the origins. It’s pretty strange and he’s making us out to be fools.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just want to clear things up. At the start of the lockdown season, our capacity was about 30,666. During this season, Barber said they wanted to increase the capacity to 32,500. This was going to be done by adding more seats in the ‘spaces’ between existing seats. 2 extra seats were added in most rows of nearly every block in the East Stand Lower, I think similar was done to either the West Stand Upper, or West Stand Lower. The same could probably done to every other block. The capacity is now 31,800 because of this. The plans said the North Stand ‘tier’ (or whatever you want to call it, looks like a tier to me) was going to have 5 rows containing 300+ seats, no more, no less. I think the North East plan was for about 50 seats, it was to mirror the South East corner. They was some speculation on here as to where the extra 300+ seats were going to be added. The lounge behind the new seating had the name of ‘The Northern Lights’, this also had a plan on the council site.

In summary, it wasn’t just fan speculation, it was planned and we were told about it at the time. I was really looking forward to the stadium looking better. If we can’t afford it, fair enough, not sure why Barber had to lie about the origins. It’s pretty strange and he’s making us out to be fools.

Are you seriously calling TB out as a liar??

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
5 rows of chairs in front of a lounge isn't really a "tier" though, is it. We're not talking about an overhanging job that could hold a few thousand fans - its just a handful of posh seats similar to the ones in front of the 1901.

I'd still be glad if it was built, don't get me wrong. The more the merrier, it would definitely be an improvement. But lets not stretch to it being a proper double-decker jobbie behind the goal. The stadium structure can't accommodate it.

It would’ve been a small tier overhanging 5 or 6 rows. I get that you wouldn’t consider it a ‘tier’ as such, but the plan does say it is. I never said it would be a double decker, it would’ve made it look substantially better than it does now though. They weren’t meant to be posh seats either, they were meant to be for a ‘shirt friendly’ lounge. The plan also included a new TV studio in place of the original one. None of it existed, apparently :lolol:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
The fans made this up, did we?
A4BDC288-E418-4CBC-95AF-9A33234FBB30.jpeg

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The fans made this up, did we?
View attachment 146156

Again He wrote about two things. One can’t happen and one is no longer happening .
Some fans he said had speculated about a North Stand Upper style 2nd tier. Can’t happen.

He also said these North Stand hospitality plans written about in WAB, the ones on the planning site (for the lounge etc) , the ones with planning approval, the ones with extra seats, shared on here for years (blimey I shared some of the drawings at some point) were now not going ahead. Nobody has denied they didn’t exist and nobody has said they can’t happen - but nope they’re Not happening. (Presumably for post Covid cost reasons).

The conflation of both these separate things to confect yet another Barber out cycle on NSC really is wide of the mark but there you go

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Again He wrote about two things. One can’t happen and one is no longer happening .
Some fans he said had speculated about a North Stand Upper style 2nd tier. Can’t happen.

He also said these North Stand hospitality plans written about in WAB, the ones on the planning site (for the lounge etc) , the ones with planning approval, the ones with extra seats, shared on here for years (blimey I shared some of the drawings at some point) were now not going ahead. Nobody has denied they didn’t exist and nobody has said they can’t happen - but nope they’re Not happening. (Presumably for post Covid cost reasons).

The conflation of both these separate things to confect yet another Barber out cycle on NSC really is wide of the mark but there you go

A couple of people may have Barber Out sentiments that you’re jumping on, but the rest of us maybe it’s just weird how he’s presented all this. You’re actually conflating various responses for different people as if they’re all one response, and it makes it an easy get out to just brush it off as anti-Barbarism - yes I’ve coined it first. However, given it’s passed 10pm on a Friday night I wanted to congratulate you on getting conflation and confect in the same sentence within an NSC post - one doffs one’s cap.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Are any of the improvements to the external areas around the Amex happening this summer? Lost track of what was happening with this

el punal

In answer to all your criticism and carping why don’t you contact Paul Barber and Tony Bloom for a fuller explanation as to why you’re not happy with this project. You never know, you might be invited for tea and biscuits to go with the chat regarding future stadium expansion plans. I would advise you to leave the bit out about lying and taking us for fools - not good form at all. :cheers:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Just bouncing this thread.
Can anyone sum up where we are with the proposed expansion plans?

Are works planned / underway for the external area of the ground, e.g. more bars, toilets, etc.

Capacity is now 31,800. Is that rising to 32,500 for this coming season or was that linked to the new hospitality lounge and small tier in the north, which now seems shelved?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just bouncing this thread.
Can anyone sum up where we are with the proposed expansion plans?

Are works planned / underway for the external area of the ground, e.g. more bars, toilets, etc.

Capacity is now 31,800. Is that rising to 32,500 for this coming season or was that linked to the new hospitality lounge and small tier in the north, which now seems shelved?

Club have shelved increasing capacity to 32,500 as per. So capacity for 22/23 is 31,800.

The other work - the external fan zone/toilets/bar/screens and a few other bits and bobs is scheduled but I don’t think will happen this close season due to the euros. Either way there’s not been a timetable confirmation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's all beginning to feel a bit 'palace New Stand'.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have to say I do enjoy seeing the away fans grabbing a pint with us before the game and stood in the sunshine enjoying a pint BUT, I'm of an age now where to properly enjoy it I'd love an outside loo to use if I had too.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The outside toilets and bars would really make better use of that space, looking forward to that being completed.

I'd like them to add a north east box similar to the south east, just to balance the look of the stadium. & if the north shelf thing isnt happening then i'd love us to fill that grey wall with Albion flags, it would look so much better.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I have to say I do enjoy seeing the away fans grabbing a pint with us before the game and stood in the sunshine enjoying a pint BUT, I'm of an age now where to properly enjoy it I'd love an outside loo to use if I had too.

I know just where you are coming from when it comes to the addition of outside loos. After leaving home l have my legs crossed by the time l reach the Amex, so normally a mad dash to Dick's bar to make use of the one there, before l suffer an embrarrassing accident.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yesterday we went to a Football exhibition at The Design Museum.

There was a section about all the work that went into getting the acoustics right at White Hart Lane.

Bit of a waste of time if they're just going to sit in silence! :lol:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I know just where you are coming from when it comes to the addition of outside loos. After leaving home l have my legs crossed by the time l reach the Amex, so normally a mad dash to Dick's bar to make use of the one there, before l suffer an embrarrassing accident.

Just a wee problem for some, more so for others!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here