Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex expansion.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
The minutes from the Falmer Parish Council meeting in November 2019 include below as "stadium issues"

- large out door tv screen, shop with toilets and food kiosk all where old bandstand was
- two new executive boxes and increase in capacity to 32,750"

One way of reading this is that the new shop is a new retail shop moving outside the stadium. If the offices behind the north move to the bigger Lancing, and the bar moves down to the old shop space this surely frees up a lot of space behind north so the back wall could come down.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
There really needs to be more around the Amex to encourage fans to get there earlier and stay on later. Is there any scope or land around the area to develop more bars and pubs which can then also be used by the universities?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We sell out nearly home game and have done since being in the PL. The ones we don’t are the ones when it’s on tv and the away fans haven’t got a full allocation.

It can’t be hard to notice when the club activate the ticket exchange (which means the game is effectively sold out). We don’t always sell these out, but the vast majority are seats on their own.

I'm in the north stand, this season is the first time that the seat next to me has been occupied - it was empty for season after season.

On the two occasions that I couldn't go to games, I've put my ticket on the exchange, on neither occasion has it been sold - so, by defintiion, it's not a sell-out.

You only have to look around you at any game; you'll see plenty of empty seats. I'd be surprised if we ever had 30,000 at a game

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
One way of reading this is that the new shop is a new retail shop moving outside the stadium. If the offices behind the north move to the bigger Lancing, and the bar moves down to the old shop space this surely frees up a lot of space behind north so the back wall could come down.

Well we know that part of the latest Lancing development is more offices....

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
At least, with more corporate, they'll have heated lyric sheets to help get the songs going.

I think they should install a pit at the front of the North for a Conductor to stand in - might help coordinate both sides for the first time in memory.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The minutes from the Falmer Parish Council meeting in November 2019 include below as "stadium issues"

- large out door tv screen, shop with toilets and food kiosk all where old bandstand was
- two new executive boxes and increase in capacity to 32,750

Above to be included in a planning application by BHA "sometime in the new year"

What did Falmer Parish Council base their "stadium issues" on if the club hadn't even submitted a planning application at the time?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
For gentlemen of a certain age all they really need are toilets outside the ground, trust me I'm on of those chaps!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm in the north stand, this season is the first time that the seat next to me has been occupied - it was empty for season after season.

On the two occasions that I couldn't go to games, I've put my ticket on the exchange, on neither occasion has it been sold - so, by defintiion, it's not a sell-out.

You only have to look around you at any game; you'll see plenty of empty seats. I'd be surprised if we ever had 30,000 at a game

No league match will ever be completely full - there will always be some small % of STH who cannot attend. Even if every STH misses just ONE match per season, on average, without reselling or otherwise passing on their seats, that equates to over 1,000 empty seats EVERY match.

The highest actual attendance we've had, was probably the Sheffield Wednesday play off game?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What we need is far more corporate boxes perhaps above the seats in the N stand taking them along from the police box...we don’t need anymore seats for the common muck, we need more corporate people to give us more money.

Money money money

Yeah pretty sure any additional seats will be corporate hospitality all the way. Even if they get rid of the offices in the north stand they'd just stick a load of boxes in there as that will make them a lot more cash than a few more rows of seats. The club, as a business, has very different ideas about match days than us fans!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

There is a very good reason why we are applying for 2000 more seats. An empty seat does not mean, for the most part, an unsold ticket. It means absence.

Welcome to modern football, you're about 20 years late.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Exciting news isn't it. If it's correct a bigger North Stand would be amazing.

:thumbsup:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Until we redelevop the North to make it look like an end, rather than an afterthought, I will always feel a tiny bit sad. :down::cry:

The reality of that was that there were probably a host of planning and design restrictions in place that dictated how it ended up. I ended up in the West Upper just for the excellent view. Even at the back of the north it's just too shallow. Wash my mouth out but the view from the upper Millwall stand for away fans is about right. Even with the ball at far end the perspective is not bad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There really needs to be more around the Amex to encourage fans to get there earlier and stay on later. Is there any scope or land around the area to develop more bars and pubs which can then also be used by the universities?

Just wait 3 months and a thread along these lines will appear, for the 5th consecutive May.

Sure not one single issue raised has ever got 'the nod', but hey this might be the year:-

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...EX-when-we-return-in-August&highlight=Toilets

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Slightly OT but was watching a prog on Discovery about the new Spurs ground and it explained their lower bowl has the maximum angle of steepness allowed - 35 degrees - and I wondered if anyone knows what ours is?

Always feels too shallow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
From the club website in December 2019.

The club has sold out virtually every Premier League fixture over the past three seasons, with upcoming games against Sheffield United, AFC Bournemouth, Chelsea and Aston Villa either already sold out, or approaching a sell out.

Barber added, “One of the most important things for us is to try and get as many fans as possible into the stadium.

“We are constantly looking to add seats to various places because we have a waiting list of 8,000 and we want to try and get as many of those people in as we can. But it’s not just the stadium capacity that we want to improve, but the fan experience on a matchday as well.

“We have upgraded the Wifi because we know how important it is, particularly for young fans. Outside we’re trying to find a way of putting extra toilets in.

“They may seem small things, but overall they are important to making the experience as good as it can be when people come to the Amex, so that they keep coming back.”

-----------------------------------------------

From my seat in the east upper I often find myself thinking that we could squeeze in a couple thousand seats without too much structural change.

- A redesign of the north east corner, lots of empty space there.
- extend the small tier over the south stand so its 5 or 6 rows deeps & it connects to the middle tier of the west stand
- A rethink of the ends of the east upper so they still include the disable seating, but also include more standard seating.
- Remove the police box, have them based somewhere else in the ground & then wrap the middle tier of the west stand around over the north.
- Could even add an extra row of seating to the front lip of the east & west upper.

Obviously that will never all happen, but there's options.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I reckon it's about right. We only come close to selling out against the Big Six - I think there were even some seats left for the Palace match last year. A look around the stadium at any home game will reveal the number of empty seats. I think TB got it spot on

Except that we have about 8K on the ST waiting list.

I always feared (and said so at the time) that if we ever got to the PL then the original stadium capacity would be way too small.

How many of the 8K on the waiting list will vanish overnight following relegation remains to be seen of course.

ETA And we need to remember that the figure the club reports as "attendance" isn't at all. It is tickets sold. I have tried to explain to Barber what "attendance" means but the penny hasn't dropped :lol:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
We sell out nearly home game and have done since being in the PL. The ones we don’t are the ones when it’s on tv and the away fans haven’t got a full allocation.

It can’t be hard to notice when the club activate the ticket exchange (which means the game is effectively sold out). We don’t always sell these out, but the vast majority are seats on their own.

We have a few thousand on the season ticket waiting list, so a couple of thousand extra seats would be easily snapped up.

How many times do we have to keep telling people this?

I know, it's flippin' annoying that so many people can't understand that any empty seats they might notice are in fact sold. Simple fact - there are season ticket holders who sometimes are on holiday or have other engagements and they don't pass on their ticket or put it on the ticket exchange. If I can't make a game I make sure my seat is still used, but some people don't.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I reckon it's about right. We only come close to selling out against the Big Six - I think there were even some seats left for the Palace match last year. A look around the stadium at any home game will reveal the number of empty seats. I think TB got it spot on

It’s all ifs , but imagine if we did a ‘Sheffield United’ ... we would easily shift a few thousand more. We sell out most games when playing shite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here