Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Endoscopy,sedation or straight down ?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Had one Monday,wanted it done and dusted so straight down. Fantastic care given from the medical team,but bloody hell.

It's not fun but I didn't want to be sedated as I needed to go back to work.

Maybe think again if i had to have another.

Now for a colonoscopy, there was only ever one option :)

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I have had one and due for another, hated the spray on the back of my throat but had sedation as mine was a prolonged procedure to treat an internal bleed, totally whacked out and the time flew by! The care from the team involved was fantastic and can't be faulted.Had sore throat and pain in my lower chest for a week or so afterwards.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Done both, must admit it's a tad more comfy after the jab.

Certainly if you're having the top and tail, double entry then sedation is the only way. Remember to ask them to wipe the camera tube after doing the colonoscopy BEFORE you have the sedation.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Sedation every time. As it happens, they found a small benign lump as the camera went down, so because I was sedated, they cut it out, there & then.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming

Certainly if you're having the top and tail, double entry then sedation is the only way. Remember to ask them to wipe the camera tube after doing the colonoscopy BEFORE you have the sedation.

Yeah, I'd echo that sentiment. Also, for goodness sake don't look at the camera tube. It's graduated in metres FFS, how far in are they planning on shoving it?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had both done at Sussex County 2 weeks ago. No sedation. The gastroscopy took about 3 minutes and was better than swallowing a boiled sweet.
The colonoscopy was OK but one wince from the gas they pump in to enlarge the colon. Had a couple of polyps cut out watching on the screen and one was electrically zapped which I slightly felt. 1 and a half hours from the start and I was having tea and biscuits before walking 3 miles home. Laughing gas option for me.
Was bloated for a week but now fine and awaiting the results which are 98% chance of being good news.
The worst bit is the 24 hour fasting and laxative. I recommend probiotics for afterwards as the system has been cleared of most bacteria including the beneficial ones. So kimchi, kefir and probiotic yoghurt.

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I tried to have it straight down but it wasn’t happening so had the sedation and was much better.
Have to say didn't go down first time,but was repositioned and straight down,retched when the tube caught the back of my throat,but in and out of Stafford Hospital within an hour.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming

Yeah, I'd echo that sentiment. Also, for goodness sake don't look at the camera tube. It's graduated in metres FFS, how far in are they planning on shoving it?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Had the sedation and the last thing I remember was the consultant saying "This is X - she is a trainee and will be performing the procedure today" followed by making noises that sounded like I was possessed.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Had a colonoscopy a few years ago, wasn't given any option of sedation! They had a very camp male nurse sat next to me chatting away the whole way through, presumably to try and keep me at ease. Had to politely tell him to shut up after a while, needed to find my happy place and was struggling with him rabbiting on. It was fine though.

Didn't do any probiotics after, went and had a couple of pints by myself though in the pub. Felt like I deserved them.

What a strange forum this is.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Had Endoscopy quite a few years back. Woke on the morning to the ground being coverered in huge amounts of snow. The hospital called as they hadnt heard from me to check i was still attending, apparantly everyone apart from me and 2 other appointments had cancelled as they couldnt make it in.

I turned up to the hospital with a sledge under my arm, the nurse said "normally there are two choices, sedation or straight down, as you have told us you plan on going sledging afterwards the only option you have is straight down"

The spray at the back of your throat tastes like mouldy Bananas, but glad i didnt get the sedation choice as had a great time sledging afterwards.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had a colonoscopy a few years ago, wasn't given any option of sedation! They had a very camp male nurse sat next to me chatting away the whole way through, presumably to try and keep me at ease. Had to politely tell him to shut up after a while, needed to find my happy place and was struggling with him rabbiting on. It was fine though.

Didn't do any probiotics after, went and had a couple of pints by myself though in the pub. Felt like I deserved them.

What a strange forum this is.

Plenty of probiotics in beer!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It's not fun but I didn't want to be sedated as I needed to go back to work.

Maybe think again if i had to have another.

Had a colonoscopy yesterday (not for the first time) at RSCH - can only say what a brilliant team they have there. I took the option of a sedative but it just makes you a bit dozy and able to watch the action on a monitor. Painless procedure, even taking out a couple of small polyps that I hope this time won’t lead to a bowel resection as it did 17 years ago.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Part of me never wants to turn 50 which is when you are recommended to start doing these things...

Sure hope nano technology will be the standard when I reach that age.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Awake and literally glued to the screen, right? I needed to know the worst. :lolol:

Edit snap [MENTION=17028]dejavuatbtn[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

I had one a few years back to diagnose a Hiatus Hernia. Just had the weird bananna spray; gag reflex kicked in once but ok after that. Sensation of them snipping in the stomach was really weird as it a part of your body you never feel normally. Glad they didn't sedate as I'd have been stuffed as I'd driven there!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I was sedated for my gastroscopy. Frankly, I loved it. I was bricking myself prior to the operation(procedure?) but was out within seconds of being injected. I'm not even sure the Dr finished their sentence about how quickly it will act before I was out. Next thing I knew i was being woken up, lead to a reclining chair and left to sleep it off for the next hour or so.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here