Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Millwall announce plans to increase stadium capacity to 34,000

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But they have been in that 20k ground for decades and it’s proved to be too big. What sense 34k? Is it really comparable to Withdean?

Exactly. You can't compare The Den to Withdean. One is a proper football stadium with rooves and shit. The other was an open-air municipal athletics track with portacabins. It was literally the worst ground in England, and we were stuck with it for 12 years.

Good job we had so many great seasons and wonderful players there bouncing around between L1 and the Championship, otherwise I doubt we'd have broken 5k very often.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll have you know work started on palace's new stand approximately 15 months ago.

I assume the ring fenced money was made available, as they were promised the work would be complete by the start of next season.

So excited.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The first ever stadium with a 16k segregation area, Top work.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
But they have been in that 20k ground for decades and it’s proved to be too big. What sense 34k? Is it really comparable to Withdean?

As I said previously there is nothing at that ground or around it that appeals to the average middle class family that are now the biggest demographic in Southwark. People are actually going to Palace because the football is a better standard but if the match day experience was akin or better than The Amex it would make a huge difference in appealing to the family market.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
34,000. That’s quite a lot of racists they’re gonna have to find to fill it. How many voted Brexit in Bermondsey?

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I wonder if they’ll retain all those breeze blocks from the current stadium and reuse them? ???

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Let's not forget Palace were only getting 12-13k in 2011/12 and now fill Selhurst. If Millwall got to the top flight 30k in a top stadium is very achievable.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
similar to other sentiments on here - I used to go to Burton's new ground after it opened and we were still at Withdean and wonder at the concept of being dry in the rain and having somewhere under cover to go at half time

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Replacing their Championship football ground with a Premier League library might just be what their supporters need.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Those decades don’t matter. As [MENTION=316]Albion Dan[/MENTION] (who lives in the area) has said; those extra seats are earmarked for the new demographic. A bit like Brighton really in that if you build facilities that appeal to those new supporters they will come to the ground.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There'll be a lot of house extensions going up in South Bermondsey looking very similar to the new stadium when all those thieving pikeys start helping themselves to the building materials.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
After my last visit to Millwall I said never again, might happen one day now...

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Let's not forget Palace were only getting 12-13k in 2011/12 and now fill Selhurst. If Millwall got to the top flight 30k in a top stadium is very achievable.

We averaged 15351 that season, Stop making up rubbish Dan.

The plans for the new Den look ambitious, Like most have said the current ground is only ever half full most games.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We averaged 15351 that season, Stop making up rubbish Dan.

Funny how your goonsquad dish out endless stick for us not always filling our roofless athletics track when we were knocking around down in the depths of the noddy leagues, whilst you were routinely playing in a half-empty Selhurst in the Championship. Can always rely on that missing 10,000 to come crawling back as long as you're in the Prem eh. Such an AMAZING fanbase, so unique :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here