Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Boundary Road / Station Road railway crossing

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Once waited for 5 trains at Eastern Avenue, Shoreham, 2 one way and 3 the other.

When there were gates there operated by the signalman before the barriers were fitted, there was a set of lockable wicket gates for pedestrians which could be unlocked by the signalman between trains when there wasn't time to open the road gates.

Only six trains and 25 minutes counts as a moan

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
If I need to get across as a pedestrian when the barriers are down, I nip under the pedestrian subway which links the two sides.

What flummoxes me is the number of people I see who stand at the barriers waiting for 5 minutes plus, for them to go up and walk through. Do they not know that the subway provides an alternative crossing, or are they just very anti-steps?! Explanations welcome!

How old are you! I’m 65 and fairly fit. Still play a few sports, but the thought of going down and back up those steps on my old knees doesn’t exactly appeal

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I must admit I tend to agree. Every time I'm stuck at the gates by Shoreham station I curse the fact they closed the subway. However if I've got my grandson in his buggy, well I'd probably wait anyway.

When did they close it BTW? Any Shoreham residents know? From being a regular visitor in the 70s and early 80s I've only just started re-visiting the town since my son moved there.

(And the gates stay closed WAY longer than they used to when there was a signal box there).

It’s never been the since they removed the signal box

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Portslade crossing is cctv and operated by lancing signal box , they decide when to put it down and how long to keep it down before clearing the controlled signal to allow trains to pass . Sometimes you have to wait at the red signal waiting for them to put it down grrrrr

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
the level crossing at Hampden Park station is one of the worst in Europe for closures. hip flask and sarnies if you time it wrong. a bridge can be used to up and over the line but hardly used tbf

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
the level crossing at Hampden Park station is one of the worst in Europe for closures. hip flask and sarnies if you time it wrong. a bridge can be used to up and over the line but hardly used tbf

Used to hold the record when London trains were 12 carriages as they blocked the crossing when going into Eastbourne. Going down to 8 as at least helped a bit.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire

Lived round the corner for 17 years. Dread to think how many wasted hours of my life has been spent waiting for trains to pass. Was ok until they got rid of the signalmen and box a few years ago.

Always used to use the bridge until i had the misfortune to be at the top a few years back when someone commited suicide at the end of the platform. Not a nice sight to see

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
For motorists the crossing by West Worthing Station must be one of the worse with the combination of the crossing stop lights and the road traffic lights on the south side which never seem to co-ordinate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here