Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Boundary Road / Station Road railway crossing

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
If I need to get across as a pedestrian when the barriers are down, I nip under the pedestrian subway which links the two sides.

What flummoxes me is the number of people I see who stand at the barriers waiting for 5 minutes plus, for them to go up and walk through. Do they not know that the subway provides an alternative crossing, or are they just very anti-steps?! Explanations welcome!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Walk down and up a flight of steps? A completely unacceptable option to the great majority.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Perhaps they're not in a hurry and are enjoying the interruption?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Carrying shopping, so having a rest. Old, so having a rest. Got toddlers, so easier to wait. Got pushchair's, so easier to wait. Many more options, need a poll...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Don't want to trip over my baggy, grey joggers on the steps or have all the women having my knob at eye level....

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Lucky to have the choice. The subway at Shoreham by Sea station was truncated years ago so it can only be used platform to platform inside the barriers.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If I need to get across as a pedestrian when the barriers are down, I nip under the pedestrian subway which links the two sides.

What flummoxes me is the number of people I see who stand at the barriers waiting for 5 minutes plus, for them to go up and walk through. Do they not know that the subway provides an alternative crossing, or are they just very anti-steps?! Explanations welcome!
I must admit I tend to agree. Every time I'm stuck at the gates by Shoreham station I curse the fact they closed the subway. However if I've got my grandson in his buggy, well I'd probably wait anyway.

When did they close it BTW? Any Shoreham residents know? From being a regular visitor in the 70s and early 80s I've only just started re-visiting the town since my son moved there.

(And the gates stay closed WAY longer than they used to when there was a signal box there).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Stinks of piss down there, so unless I'm in a hurry (ie catching the train thats arriving), then I'm team WAIT.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham

You say that but fairly recently i saw a load of students use the subway even though the gates were up and they could have crossed the railway line.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Probably have their stopwatches out to see if they can beat the record for longest time that the gates are down.

This. Generally for the various level crossings at Shoreham and Portslade. Ridiculous the amount of time they are down before and between trains. Sitting in the traffic and a train comes past, you'd think they could let the barriers up for 5 mins, but no, they keep them down as there's a train 10 mins away. FFS. :angry:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This. Generally for the various level crossings at Shoreham and Portslade. Ridiculous the amount of time they are down before and between trains. Sitting in the traffic and a train comes past, you'd think they could let the barriers up for 5 mins, but no, they keep them down as there's a train 10 mins away. FFS. :angry:

The points are situated far enough away to cater for the fastest moving train to trigger the barriers. If it's a slow stopping service then the barriers appear to be down for ages as it's tripping the barriers way back when a fast service would be. You then get the triple whammy situation when an arriving service clicks the barriers, as that leaves a slow service just clicks the points as that first service is leaving, then it takes so long a third service clicks it again. The Portslade Triple they call it.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Once waited for 5 trains at Eastern Avenue, Shoreham, 2 one way and 3 the other.

When there were gates there operated by the signalman before the barriers were fitted, there was a set of lockable wicket gates for pedestrians which could be unlocked by the signalman between trains when there wasn't time to open the road gates.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Don't get me started on the crossing at Ford. It's down for 20 minutes sometimes.

Although recently saw I guy push a buggy under the second closing barrier and then hurdle the opposite side BEFORE lifting his child in the buggy to safety ... ****wit!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here