Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I'm not a Utd season ticket holder, but

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't like to be all conspirational, but there was the Man U goal against us where the ball hits Maguire's arm in the build up and it wasn't ruled out as it should have been. I know there was the belief among some that VAR would prevent that feeling that the big teams benefit from refereeing bias. Seems Man U are one of the big clubs that benefit from a lot of inconsistency with regard to VAR.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Waits for Franks views on those ‘big’ moments.....actually I’m not ...missed Homeland last night so giving that a gander to see if this series is going to be any good

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So back to the point that kicked this all off.

To me Utd won tonight in spite of Maguire, not because of him, even knowing who scored the second goal.

I don't remember any defensive clearances.
There certainly weren't any attack starting passes.
He was either out of position or on his heels for ALL of Chelsea's attacks.
He didn't move an inch for the disallowed goal.

I just don't get it.

He makes VVD look like a £160m player.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just read that both the ref, Anthony Taylor, and the VAR ref, Chris Kavanagh, are from Manchester. How can that even be allowed?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't like to be all conspirational, but there was the Man U goal against us where the ball hits Maguire's arm in the build up and it wasn't ruled out as it should have been. I know there was the belief among some that VAR would prevent that feeling that the big teams benefit from refereeing bias. Seems Man U are one of the big clubs that benefit from a lot of inconsistency with regard to VAR.

The stats for 2017/18 and 2018/19 showed a complete mixed bag of injustices and luck for clubs of all sizes, there was no mega club bias. One season’s winners might be next season’s losers. [ex-ref Walton, ESPN, Intel & Bath Uni, reviewed all the goals, disallowed goals, pens, non-pens, dismissals and non-dismissals].

VAR is simply here for correcting serious errors and missed incidents.

What a joke this evening.

Seems like we now need a higher level of VAR reviewing the VAR joker.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Chelsea are only the second team to have two goals awarded on the field only to be later ruled out by VAR in the same Premier League game.

The other one was Sheffield United when they played us. :smile:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Does anyone else think we should have played united earlier in the season!

I had this as our winnable game....I now think it is one to try and protect the goal difference!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

To me Utd won tonight in spite of Maguire, not because of him, even knowing who scored the second goal.

I just don't get it.

The Guardian’s valuation of VVD is in that ballpark.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/12/virgil-van-dijk-liverpool-bargain-75m-what-cost-now

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I would be happy, nay, ****ing ecstatic, to never again hear Neville do commentary on United games. One-eyed, Manc ****. It's like when we have to listen to Carragher gobbing off about Liverpool.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I just don't get it.

His few attempts at long range passing were dreadful tonight. Bailly looked a far better player (on the ground, not tested in the air).

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Does anyone else think we should have played united earlier in the season!

I had this as our winnable game....I now think it is one to try and protect the goal difference!

I wouldn't get too carried away - they've been jekyll and hyde all season , but generally played well against teams who haven't sat back. As we don't do sitting back anymore, I wouldn't have had high hopes for the game regardless of current form

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wouldn't get too carried away - they've been jekyll and hyde all season , but generally played well against teams who haven't sat back. As we don't do sitting back anymore, I wouldn't have had high hopes for the game regardless of current form

ManC and ManU can’t believe their luck when inferior teams take it to them, leaving acres of space behind.
= ManC 4 BHA 0, ManUre 3 BHA 1. Guardiola praised our courage.

Solskjaer added: "It was exhilarating and entertaining. How we didn't end up with five, six or seven I don't know."

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I think Bruno Fernandes is going to prove to be a great signing for them. I didn't watch their game this evening. How did he play?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why. Why can we NOT have pundits who played the game or if they did, weren’t so billy big bol locks that the show becomes all about them and their past endeavours. Remember Bob Wilson? Des Lynam? Jimmy Hill? Gerald Sinsted? Jimmy
Armfield? Brian Moore and Motty? You never knew who they’d played or supported unlike today’s bunch of egos who constantly reference their bias. I really like Adam Virgo because he worked hard to get into punditry without all the privileges the aforementioned have just because of their playing careers. In other words, talent and talks sense.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Given the red card that was given after VAR advice for kicking out earlier this season, I think he's lucky to still be on the pitch.

Nah...the Chelsea lad was just about to fall on top of him so he gave him a sharp boot in the gonads to say "OI YOU...NOOOOOOO....NO YOU DON'T!!" and it seemed to do the trick and saved the Chelsea player from getting sent off himself for a full body assault on a prone player.....everyone wins!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think Bruno Fernandes is going to prove to be a great signing for them. I didn't watch their game this evening. How did he play?

He gave the ball away a few times but he got the assist for the Maguire goal and put in some outstanding free kicks. You can see he's quite a player - but he did underhit a couple of set pieces as well as the brilliant ones he took. He hit the post from one with Caballero beaten so he was a bit unlucky not to score.

I thought it was a classic Man Utd performance away from home against a team who play against them. They've won twice at the Eithad this season and they're set up to defend for long periods and counter attack. That being said, the Zouma goal probably should have stood and at 1-1 it's a totally different game. The Giroud goal is offside, it's not a silly "toenail" or "armpit" offside decision, it's an actual offside and the right decision. Live it looked brilliant, so its a good use of the VAR.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here