Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Andy Weatherall

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very sad. He was a massively important part of my life.

So many wonderful legacies. I'll post this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VGPvkjyQnQ

Now, that reminds me of when I was working in the centre of Brighton on a project with lots of young people on it and we used to work late and go to the pub, most nights. I had got Sabresonic II on CD the day it came out and, unbeknown to me, so had one of my mates / colleagues. We went over to the pub after work about 7 in the evening, didn't bother eating and got shitfaced. At some point there was a big argument about the fact that I had nicked his newly purchased CD - at which point we realised there was an HMV carrier bag containing exactly the same thing on the floor of the pub under the table. To this day neither of us is sure if we left with the copy we bought at lunchtime or if we swapped.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Ah, this makes me very sad. What a hero, loved this quote that HT posted up.

“I think I’ve never lost that thing I had when I was 12 years old and inviting my mates round to my house. They’d all be copping off with girls and I’m going, “No, check out this B-side”

RIP.

RIP indeed, and thanks for the tunes. The fact Spence has never heard of him is surely a great compliment.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
A friend just whatsapped me this news. I feel like I've lost a mate. I don't normally do Diana moments but from the massively influential Boys Own fanzine to his bridging the gap between indie and house music to the monumentally arrogant Masterpiece CDs this guy rocked. First saw him DJing at the old Shark Club (Fabi Paras played a month later) and completely changed my life.

Must have bumped elbows a few times back then. Used to try and see Fabio Paras whenever I could around that time. Oddest one was in Guildford. For some reason he was DJing after D:ream. The d:ream bloke's mic didn't work and he stormed off and FP got to work. Things really did get better.

Now, that reminds me of when I was working in the centre of Brighton on a project with lots of young people on it and we used to work late and go to the pub, most nights. I had got Sabresonic II on CD the day it came out and, unbeknown to me, so had one of my mates / colleagues. We went over to the pub after work about 7 in the evening, didn't bother eating and got shitfaced. At some point there was a big argument about the fact that I had nicked his newly purchased CD - at which point we realised there was an HMV carrier bag containing exactly the same thing on the floor of the pub under the table. To this day neither of us is sure if we left with the copy we bought at lunchtime or if we swapped.

Nice. Got that on right now. Cheers Andrew :salute:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
The Primal Scream album is an absolute classic - all involved created a genius work of art

I remember Andy Weatherall dj'ing in his hard, pounding techno days...….Happy Days :smile:

Of the many many nights out of my youth that have blurred into one, there are a few stand out moments. One was a Thursday night at Soundshaft and hearing AW play this for the first time. He then played it a couple more times during the night.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I had some great nights dancing to his sets over the last 25 years, sad news.

Same back in the day at Sankeys Soap up in Manchester whilst living there many years. Come Together Primal Scream is one of my favourite tracks, just love it and used to get played as the final track at the end of the night sometimes - which always gives me goosebumps thinking about - before everyone dispersed to whatever after party they were headed to.

Ah, those were the days.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A friend just whatsapped me this news. I feel like I've lost a mate. I don't normally do Diana moments but from the massively influential Boys Own fanzine to his bridging the gap between indie and house music to the monumentally arrogant Masterpiece CDs this guy rocked. First saw him DJing at the old Shark Club (Fabi Paras played a month later) and completely changed my life. DJd at that best gig I ever went to with [MENTION=60]Seagulls over Lewes[/MENTION] - Primal Scream at The Event with The Orb warming up and Weatherall DJing till 2am and many of Brighton's finest nutters going Radio Rental. Great music, great clothes, a proper lad. I'm in bits.

I was at the Shark Club that night. I loved that place :).

I am kind of feeling the same about Weatherall, It is hard to explain how this feels but he certainly played a big part in soundtracking my youth.

If the name that pops up on Tapatalk is anything to go by it was your brother that turned me on to the wonder of remixed Manchester music by playing me a mix of Step On one school lunchtime at Hove Park.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
A friend just whatsapped me this news. I feel like I've lost a mate. I don't normally do Diana moments but from the massively influential Boys Own fanzine to his bridging the gap between indie and house music to the monumentally arrogant Masterpiece CDs this guy rocked. First saw him DJing at the old Shark Club (Fabi Paras played a month later) and completely changed my life. DJd at that best gig I ever went to with [MENTION=60]Seagulls over Lewes[/MENTION] - Primal Scream at The Event with The Orb warming up and Weatherall DJing till 2am and many of Brighton's finest nutters going Radio Rental. Great music, great clothes, a proper lad. I'm in bits.

Yeah that Masterpiece jobby is so ****ing good. Geezer know a groove alright.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was at the Shark Club that night. I loved that place :).

I am kind of feeling the same about Weatherall, It is hard to explain how this feels but he certainly played a big part in soundtracking my youth.

If the name that pops up on Tapatalk is anything to go by it was your brother that turned me on to the wonder of remixed Manchester music by playing me a mix of Step On one school lunchtime at Hove Park.

Yep, me and my bro were at Hove Park and spent much of our time in the late 80s and early 90s fighting over who owned what mix tape. He's a sound engineer so has stayed a music nerd.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Brilliant Weatherall quote:

“I went from listening to United by Throbbing Gristle to dancing in a field to Josephine by Chris Rea,” he recalled of 1988’s Second Summer of Love, “which gives you some idea what a powerful drug ecstasy is.”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another brilliant story from the man. Love this.

Attachments

• 2168FF81-D481-4D6E-A780-16DCE8C7659E.jpeg
    2168FF81-D481-4D6E-A780-16DCE8C7659E.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 91

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been put onto a Weatherall show from this radio station by a young lad in my local coffee shop. https://www.nts.live/

Andy Weatherall was a resident and had a regular show called Music’s Not For Everyone; go to radio and residents and you’ll find his shows. I have listened to two this morning and they are superb. First one I listened to was his 2nd Jan broadcast which is reasonably chilled. Other shows are a mixed bag of electronica, dub, techno and other stuff.

There’s plenty of other interesting shit on this station as well.

It’s pleasing to know people under half my age are listening to him. So pleasing that I overlooked his faux pas of Weatherall being “quite old”.... he was only 4 years older than me when he died.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here