Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ian Wright on Desert Island Discs

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Surprised this timeless classic didn't get a mention....

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
has always come across as a good bloke. Very genuine, not afraid to show his emotions, not afraid to admit to his shortcomings

also adopted two of his step sons- shows a lot about a man that does

Stumpy Tim

It helps that he’s clearly an adopted Gooner, by far and away his number one club.

The odd kind word about the Smellhurst atmosphere and Roy, that’s about it. It grates CP fans online.

Who could blame him?

He was always an Arsenal fan though I think. He was good mates with Rocky Rocastle (RIP) growing up and he looked up to Rocastle playing for "their" team

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Brilliant radio. I love the fact that he speaks from the heart and isn't afraid to show his emotions...

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Surprised this timeless classic didn't get a mention....

I genuinely think this is the best ever song recorded by a footballer

It stands up fairly well to a lot of the pop music recorded at the time, Wright has a perfectly passable voice and the charisma and enthusiasm to make it work and I think it's aged reasonably well for an early-90's pop song

But why isn't it called "Do the Wright thing"?!

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
He was always an Arsenal fan though I think. He was good mates with Rocky Rocastle (RIP) growing up and he looked up to Rocastle playing for "their" team

Ironically enough, Rocastle was a Palace fan, so was Wrights mum Nesta.
I also thought Wright went down to The Den as a youngster, but didn’t like the feel of the place.

A very good listen.

In these days of football academies identifying talent at an early age he is probably one of the last to break in to the top tier of the game the hard way. I wonder who else is in that category?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In these days of football academies identifying talent at an early age he is probably one of the last to break in to the top tier of the game the hard way. I wonder who else is in that category?

Jamie Vardy was in his mid-20s when he first played for a Football League team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here