Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hs2 and China.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Cheap Labour, Health and Safety, Planning and Environmental Laws etc...

Yes, dictatorships can build things quickly.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
If we're supposed to be 'taking back control', let's stop selling our industries, services and contracts to foreign consortiums and governments.

How is paying £ billions (of tax-payers' dosh) to overseas companies and contractors 'patriotic'? :mad:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not a fan of the project,but if the China Govt etc can build a hospital in eight/nine days why not give the contract to them ? Unless you want your CUT. https://www.northstandchat.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=20

You can achieve a lot quickly in a dictatorship. Think Stalins five year plans etc. Don’t need to worry about a few million serfs dying do you, as long as the new canals are built and entire mountain ranges moved or levelled. Here we have to discuss and pass things first. Then there’s health and safety which is like the last straw because it doesn’t allow for a single death never mind millions.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If we're supposed to be 'taking back control', let's stop selling our industries, services and contracts to foreign consortiums and governments.

How is paying £ billions (of tax-payers' dosh) to overseas companies and contractors 'patriotic'? :mad:

But it is taking back control, because the UK Government get to decide and they are not hindered by EU State aid rules. Plus it may be a price to pay for free trade deals that we are so in need of.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Bless, so naive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It becomes clear that we had to take Huawei to get a quid pro quo on a cheap deal for building HS2. :facepalm:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

It’s a bit late for that.

China are all over our industries

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Weird thread. I think the OP has a point. For a change :lolol:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
It's a tricky one. Pay a fortune for us to do our traditional British 'ten men stood round a hole with nine men watching one dig' (but all the money stays in the UK) - or 'nine men digging whilst one man watches' Chinese approach - where the money flows out of the UK, but we save money.

Why not adopt the Chinese approach using British labour, or am I being too logical? :glare:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've been involved in some massive Projects over the past 30 years. The ones delivered quickly are where you can effectively do what you want which the Chinese can do at any given time back home. Good luck here.

I'm not so sure that they've experienced employment law, Compulsory purchase orders process, ancient woodland, protest groups and the whole host of issues around HS2. This is either ill judged, grandstanding or Brexit trade deal posturing. It's certainly not based on reality. It's not the building that slow, it's the processes in the UK.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I've been involved in some massive Projects over the past 30 years. The ones delivered quickly are where you can effectively do what you want which the Chinese can do at any given time back home. Good luck here.

I'm not so sure that they've experienced employment law, Compulsory purchase orders process, ancient woodland, protest groups and the whole host of issues around HS2. This is either ill judged, grandstanding or Brexit trade deal posturing. It's certainly not based on reality. It's not the building that slow, it's the processes in the UK.

Sure, you're right, but the building doesn't ever seem to be that fast either. They've been doing those Shelter Hall renovations for years. That's just one of many examples, where they are actually doing the work but it just seems to take an unfeasibly long time. I think there are some lessons we could learn from the Chinese. There's got to be a happy medium whereby we respect the rule of law and workers right and environmental protections and just do it with a bit more urgency than we currently do

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Sure, you're right, but the building doesn't ever seem to be that fast either. They've been doing those Shelter Hall renovations for years. That's just one of many examples, where they are actually doing the work but it just seems to take an unfeasibly long time. I think there are some lessons we could learn from the Chinese. There's got to be a happy medium whereby we respect the rule of law and workers right and environmental protections and just do it with a bit more urgency than we currently do

Shelter Hall renovation is the key I'm afraid. Are there any payment milestones that get accountants wound up meaning the work HAS to be done on time? An urgent operational need? A Sponsor in high places that will rattle the PMs cage if its not in on time?

I don't know the answers but I'm guessing the answer to all of the above is no. We can create urgency when we want to but we can equally create pointless processes if needs be to create jobs and make things last forever. Unfortunately, the Shelter Hall sounds like the later.

Boris is trying to create urgency on HS2. He's done it. All the contractors got spooked with the review and redoubled their efforts in case in got canned so they could invoice in thier workload (there is a 2 story building that went up in 2 weeks where I live). This Chinese move is bullshit to do more of the same.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Not a fan of the project,but if the China Govt etc can build a hospital in eight/nine days why not give the contract to them ? Unless you want your CUT. https://www.northstandchat.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=20

that would have been a flat pack hospital , they will have hundreds of them stacked ready for which ever war they may get involved in , easily transported by ship thats about the only positives , as said above we should be building our own hospitals.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Do we know how this construction would be performed, and by whom? Will the Chinese bring in 25000 of their own people, and their own equipment - or will they manage our people and equipment. If the latter I wonder how our construction workers will react to Chinese foremen barking out orders. It could be worse though - it could have been the Japanese - that would have given a few people the shivers.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Do we know how this construction would be performed, and by whom? Will the Chinese bring in 25000 of their own people, and their own equipment - or will they manage our people and equipment. If the latter I wonder how our construction workers will react to Chinese foremen barking out orders. It could be worse though - it could have been the Japanese - that would have given a few people the shivers.

i would say if a chinese company won the tender they would use their own labour just like they have all over Africa and the Pacific.....itis a great way to get thousands of Chinese out of China and into host countries......this can't happen in the UK shirley...?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
i would say if a chinese company won the tender they would use their own labour just like they have all over Africa and the Pacific.....itis a great way to get thousands of Chinese out of China and into host countries......this can't happen in the UK shirley...?

I don't know, what could possibly go wrong?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
D11FC59A-3152-4DBD-B1E1-0379A69483CE.png

Get India to build HS2 - creative use of space

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I'm pretty sure that the Chinese have been involved with building the Crossrail so this isn't necessarily something new.

It works both ways, there are tonnes of major infrastructure projects globally that British companies are involved with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here