Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket ground advice sought

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Hi All

Hardly the weather to think about cricket but I am looking for a club / grounds in or near to Brighton that have two adjacent squares. I am looking to stage an eight a side charity day with ex test cricketers, having two matches running simultaneously.

Way back in my day the 80's Preston Park used to have multiple matches, not sure if this is still the case.

Many thanks for your help.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Hi All

Hardly the weather to think about cricket but I am looking for a club / grounds in or near to Brighton that have two adjacent squares. I am looking to stage an eight a side charity day with ex test cricketers, having two matches running simultaneously.

Way back in my day the 80's Preston Park used to have multiple matches, not sure if this is still the case.

There are plenty of grounds suitable for this in Sussex. Most of the bigger clubs in the town/county have two squares although most are also heavily used for cricket in the summer.

What is the event and who are the test players going to be? Are you aiming for a weekend or a weekday?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
There are plenty of grounds suitable for this in Sussex. Most of the bigger clubs in the town/county have two squares although most are also heavily used for cricket in the summer.

What is the event and who are the test players going to be? Are you aiming for a weekend or a weekday?
Midweek for the reasons you have outlined all finished by 5pm not to clash with any evening games.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Hi All

St James Montefiore at Ditchling might suit. Beautiful setting tucked under the downs. Two (maybe three) squares and a nice bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Preston Nomads 20 minutes outside of Brighton will be used to holding these types of events. Two Squares either side of great clubhouse.

As probably the most privileged club in the county I don't really like suggesting them when smaller clubs would benefit from the type of event you want to run. However, there really is no better place to play considering the facilities and scenery.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As above - St James or Nomads both great with superb facilities. Perhaps the Neville or Braypool for less glam council-run options too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
St James Montefiore at Ditchling might suit. Beautiful setting tucked under the downs. Two (maybe three) squares and a nice bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I would go with that...main track and to the side, the second track. Very good wickets too if you are looking at ex pros. Great bar and parking .

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Great feedback guys I am in contact with the suggestions this afternoon.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
East Brighton park has, not sure who plays there though. South Africa used it for the world cup.

The cricket square there is a double one, or always used to be, so can accommodate two matches at the same time. Traditionally, it has been a very, very good square. Anybody can hire it. Phone the Town Hall 01273 290000 and ask for Sports Bookings. The cafe is OK there too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I always enjoyed bowling there. You must be an opening bowler like me if you think St James have good wickets!

I played there many times and always got runs. Nice hard wickets to dispatch self entitled quickies!

Speaking as a self entitled one time quickie.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The cricket square there is a double one, or always used to be, so can accommodate two matches at the same time. Traditionally, it has been a very, very good square. Anybody can hire it. Phone the Town Hall 01273 290000 and ask for Sports Bookings. The cafe is OK there too.

What her South Africa training there a few years back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here