Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Building Regs

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Anyone on here know much about building regs?

We're in the process of selling our house and the solicitors property questionnaire asks about works requiring building regs.

We had a non load bearing internal wall opened up between the kitchen and living room a couple of years a ago and have no paperwork for it other than invoices.
I vaguely remember asking at the time if we needed any paperwork and the builder being fairly dismissive about needing anything. I probably should have persued it more at the time but am now worried that it will cause us issues.

Any ideas on where I stand and what I should do next?

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
If it’s genuinely non load bearing, then council’s Building Control wouldn’t have been contacted, the builder is correct. Nothing to disclose or even mention in the sale.

It's a Mid terrace 70s house and the wall that was opened up was a stud wall which had a frosted pane of perspex in it, next to that was an old boiler cupboard which was also knocked through, so pretty confident it wasn't load bearing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anyone on here know much about building regs?

We're in the process of selling our house and the solicitors property questionnaire asks about works requiring building regs.

We had a non load bearing internal wall opened up between the kitchen and living room a couple of years a ago and have no paperwork for it other than invoices.
I vaguely remember asking at the time if we needed any paperwork and the builder being fairly dismissive about needing anything. I probably should have persued it more at the time but am now worried that it will cause us issues.

Any ideas on where I stand and what I should do next?

To your knowledge you didn’t need building regs and your builder, and expert in that regard informed you you didn’t need them. So for your questionnaire I would think you’re safe to put no works that require building regulations.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The builder should have got a structural engineer to inspect it and confirm, in writing, that the wall was note load-bearing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here