Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 50 years ago today

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Simple Minds Live in the City of Lights. Best.ever.live.album.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yeh, right ....................

This is an interesting list - some good stuff on here, some frankly cringeworthy, and a few serious omissions, but they have 100% got the number 1 right!
https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/greatest-live-albums/

Agreed. There's still a lot of BBC live stuff from the 60's and 70's which really highlights how good (and bad) some bands were are.

Slade, the Faces and the Kinks are great examples. Not sure how talking heads or U2 got on the list.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
As a huge Purps fan, I have to admit I find Made in Japan rather overrated to be brutally honest. It leaves me cold - it’s good, but not as raw or as explosive (good) as the earlier recordings of MKII live. Personally I’d list Made in Europe as a far better live album, with David Coverdale brilliant, Blackmore more introspective (which I rather like) and Lord, Paice and Hughes on fire too. Rainbow live in Germany are simply the best recordings of Blackmore’s work EVER recorded - from the 1976 Rising tour, as a guitarist I still can’t believe what I’m hearing half the time, he, was at this point, a God. The California Jam stands as my favourite and best recorded (TV) gig, MKIII purps in an embryonic yet flawless performance with Lord and Blackmore proving that genius and indulgence can actually work on occasion.

Great memories all round.

boik

Such a shame there isn't an official XTC live album. Best live band I've ever seen and I've been seeing bands for over 40 years. Everything a live band should be - take the studio tracks and then improvise and riff on them. Different variations on different nights of the same tour. So sad that Andy couldn't deal with playing live. I've got the Japanese "Live and More" EP and some bootlegs, and best of all I've got my memories.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Absolutely. Only Blue Oyster Cult and maybe Peter Gabriel have ever come anywhere near it.

I saw the last gig before the Leeds one (in Liverpool) so I've got more than one way of knowing just how f***in' good it was!

Just read Roger Daltrey's autobiography and this is what he said about Live at Leeds,

"Live at Leeds is supposed to be our defining performance. The New York Times called it 'the definitive hard -rock holocaust'. I didn't think it was that good myself.We recorded it at the University Refectory on Valentine's night 1970. and I couldn't hear myself over the band.This happened a lot. John played too loud, Moonie was never quiet and Pete amped up to compete. They were all too loud at Leeds. I had to oversing. I always knew when I was doing it, and I did it at Leeds. It was a shame because it's been a 'defining album' for the last 47 years.
The very next night was a more defining show. We did it all again at Hull and the balance was better. I could hear myself. They put it out a few years ago as an album and I think it's better. Maybe I'm just being oversensitive. You get like that when you've had to stand in front of Entwhistle's amps for so many years."

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This’ll do me, all day long.

bc1fd028db0e7a172dc81eb5f7127bfa.jpg

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Have you been to see them in recent years? We saw Simple Minds at The Dome about 4 years ago, they were still brilliant, with two female guest vocalists who were also great, in a two hour set.

Last time I saw them was 1991. I wanted to go see them at Ardingly but couldn’t make. Hope see them very soon though.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The Allnan Brothers Band Live at Fillmore East knocks it in to a cocked hat in every way, as does the live disc of Wheels of Fire by Cream and, for different reasons the Last Waltz by the Band.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Such a shame there isn't an official XTC live album.

There is Transistor Blast which includes 78/79 live in concert recordings plus live in concert at the Hammersmith Palais from 22/12/80.

And although not XTC but just Colin Moulding and Terry Chambers there is the live at Swindon Arts Centre by TC&I which is basically a set list of XTC songs

boik

There is Transistor Blast which includes 78/79 live in concert recordings plus live in concert at the Hammersmith Palais from 22/12/80.

And although not XTC but just Colin Moulding and Terry Chambers there is the live at Swindon Arts Centre by TC&I which is basically a set list of XTC songs

Think that's what I've got, but don't think they're official albums. Got a recording of a US concert too. Did you ever see them live?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Think that's what I've got, but don't think they're official albums. Got a recording of a US concert too. Did you ever see them live?

Top Rank probably 78 or 79.

You may enjoy the following from 1980 which I discovered recently.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Bob Marley and the Wailers, Live at the Lyceum.

I’ve never really liked live albums, but, I love this one.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Why would there be a bootleg version of a live LP?
No idea what their motives for producing it were, it has German origins, ... well other than making money, but vinyl bootlegs were widespread in the 70s and 80s.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here