Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Defense vs Attack stats for all PL teams

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Saw this on Reddit and thought it was interesting...... F891AD08-C503-4AE8-B594-6172FC0DD0B4.jpeg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
So we're a Poundshop Man City according to those stats?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Defending from the front, not at the back...

hmmmm.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
That's a consequence of us hogging the ball. How many matches can you remember when we've been pegged back defending in and around our box?

Yes, absolutely. I do think that one our main defensive issue is to do with concentration rather than quality this year. We seem to control for a long time and concede when counter-attacked. This would be evidence to that theory.

Fascinating how Leicester are pretty even across the whole pitch.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Would be interesting to see the same maps for last season, I'm not sure there is a dark enough red for our penalty area.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That's a consequence of us hogging the ball. How many matches can you remember when we've been pegged back defending in and around our box?

Absolutely loads of them mate .......

...... oh sorry, you mean this season. None really. Quite something when you think about it

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So we're a Poundshop Man City according to those stats?

I remember an article at the beginning of the season with a headline along the lines of 'Are Brighton the new Manchester City?' :moo:

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I was surprised at Sheffield United.. I had a perception that they got back into shape really well, similar to Wolves or Palace, but they look to press much higher than I appreciated..

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So basically once you're over the half way line with the ball Norwich, Villa and Newcastle are ****ed?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Two things I don't understand.

1. What does "proportion of defensive actions to opposition passes" mean.
2. How Burnley (my team) come out as doing less defending than anyone else bar Liverpool and Man United.

It's not how I see it. I can only imagine that Burnley's style of pressing without tackling much doesn't count as a "defensive action" while the opponents are passing it all round the box and (hopefully!) getting nowhere, skews the stats. But it makes the whole thing highly dodgy.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Two things I don't understand.

1. What does "proportion of defensive actions to opposition passes" mean.
2. How Burnley (my team) come out as doing less defending than anyone else bar Liverpool and Man United.

It's not how I see it. I can only imagine that Burnley's style of pressing without tackling much doesn't count as a "defensive action" while the opponents are passing it all round the box and (hopefully!) getting nowhere, skews the stats. But it makes the whole thing highly dodgy.

1. It is the number of passes you allow the opposition to make before attempting a tackle, making an interception or fouling. Low PPDA (passes per defensive action) indicates a team employs a pressing style.

2. It doesn't show that Burnley do less defending than others, just that they don't press intensely around their own box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here