Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Team to claim 5th and Europa League Spot?

Quite a little chase for 5th Spot going on at the moment, currently being held by the Blades. They still have an outside chance of beating Chelsea to 4th but i think the top four will remain as they are by end of season.

Surprise team - on 2nd best from in the league behind Liverpool are their neighbours and historic rival Everton. YES Everton, the same team that before Christmas were below us in the table!. On current form they would be my favourites to sneak into 5th Spot.

Spurs, if they win their game in hand will overtake the Blades but like Manu are very inconsistent at the moment.

Man U - Nah they are just too inconsistent at the moment and have lost several games they would win 9 times out of 10 in the past.
Wolves - On same number of points as ManU but their form has deserted them lately with only one win in 5 now.

Arsenal - well out of range - in fact they are nearer relegation than 5th spot!.

Despite not following any of the above teams, still find this one of the most fascinating seasons in a long time and i will be eagerly following the results each weekend....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I agree on Everton. They look to on a good run of form and I can see Sheff Utd stumbling a bit to get enough goals to maintain 5th.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Everyone raves how brilliant Wolves are. They're currently 8 points better off than us, with 12 to play.

We were 7 points better than Newcastle with 3 to play once. Look how that ended up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Has 5th place to date (week 25, or 26 for SUFC) been attained with the lowest points tally in PL history?

ManU, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal all falling over themselves to not win matches.

ManU 36% PL win rate - 13 points lower than match week 35 2018/19
Chelsea 48% - 9 points lower
Spurs 40% - 20 points lower
Arsenal 24% - 16 points lower

Strange to see 4 huge budget clubs having an iffy season at the same time.

Poch and Emery already sacked, Solskjaer teflon coated.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I reckon Sheffield United have a great chance of reaching 4th place. They have a great team spirit and huge amounts of energy.
Do I want them in the Champions League? I don’t think so, it would be embarrassing.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The Europa League is a bit of a poisoned chalice, no good ever seems to come from securing entry. Trips to Tajikistan on a Thursday night while your league form slides away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Europa League is a bit of a poisoned chalice, no good ever seems to come from securing entry. Trips to Tajikistan on a Thursday night while your league form slides away.

I always call horseploppies on that.

Is it not just the case of:-

'one great season that can't be replicated?'

It wasn't a poisoned chalice for Burnley it was just a one season spike, as they regressed back to the norm.

Same with Wolves now.

They aren't a 'big 6' club.

It's not been too poisonous for either of last season's finalists.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

It wasn't a poisoned chalice for Burnley it was just a one season spike, as they regressed back to the norm.

Same with Wolves now.

I’d agree with this ..... it’s only a ‘poisoned chalice’ for those that over achieved in the first place to get there.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

Same with Wolves now.

But for all the effort that went into it, did Burnley lift the trophy or even come close? Are Wolves realistically likely to?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
But for all the effort that went into it, did Burnley lift the trophy or even come close? Are Wolves realistically likely to?

No but so what. To qualify once would be brilliant. These things don't happen that often. I'm still a bit hacked off we got pipped by Newcastle to the title. I imagine Europa every season might get a bit frustrating though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Aber-funkin-deen away is the only thing Burnley have the right to complain about

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I remember happening to be in Krakow when Fulham came to town, and wistfully dreaming over my beer that it would be the Albion one day.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I remember happening to be in Krakow when Fulham came to town, and wistfully dreaming over my beer that it would be the Albion one day.

I'll tell you what, can you imagine how gobby the wankpuffins would be if they were to get Europa qualification? I'm not saying either of us are close to being on radar for this, but we have to beat them to it.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I'd like Sheff U to break into the top 4. The football establishment needs constant reminding that football exists outside of the "Top" 6.

Caveat: after they've been derailed by a "sensational" Albion performance at Bramall Lane

SAC

May 21, 2014
I think Spurs will finish 5th, Everton 6th and Sheffield United around 9th or 10th.

I'd love a season in Europe, ideally once every 10 years or so. Being in Europe every season, and presumably not winning may matches, could get a bit tedious and expensive.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
We're only just over halfway through a season, natural order (bar Leicester) will manifest itself. Wolverhampton are a poor side according to my Villa supporting acquaintance and will finish below halfway, Everton will probably finish best of the rest in 8th.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Let's hope Sheff Utd get a bit carried away with thinking of this, and lose a little focus for the next game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here