Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Was your Sunday morning football ever like this?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
[tweet]1227026965363875841[/tweet]

Watching this short video, reminds me of the conditions I used to play in, on a Sunday morning.
Sliding tackles were bordering on how much mud one got up your shorts.
Poignant memories, even at Gullivers and Egerton Park were a blast in Bexhill :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Reminds me of Withdean before the pitch was relayed .... the sliding tackle by Gary Hart that took half the length of the pitch to stop. Other than that, you should have tried playing on the slope at the park in Ditchling Road !!!!!!!

scooter1

How soon is now?
Reminds me of Withdean before the pitch was relayed .... the sliding tackle by Gary Hart that took half the length of the pitch to stop. Other than that, you should have tried playing on the slope at the park in Ditching Road !!!!!!!
Ha, I played on that slope for the old blue bus company. And waterhall used to be bad(probably still is) after a few days of heavy rain

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ha, I played on that slope for the old blue bus company. And waterhall used to be bad(probably still is) after a few days of heavy rain

It was always a lottery as to who had to fight the nettles to get the ball back !

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yes. Our ‘ground’ wasn’t called the cabbage patch out of irony.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't recall the stand.

Some of the "pitches" were mere ploughed fields. I stopped playing when I discovered other ways of spending my time than standing for 90 minutes in a puddle while it teemed with rain, hail and snow.

Also I was crap.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I played at Waterhall once in a cup Qtr final. We were 1-0 up when a storm came in. The wind was so fierce that a goal kick from our lump of a keeper blew back over his own crossbar. Ref refused to take us off. Storm lasted 10 mins at the end of it we were losing 5-1

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Wild Park in the snow wasn’t a great deal of fun either. The changing rooms there were freezing cold in the summer..

I think hollingbury park changing rooms, showers were freezing, and the pitch was about the worst out there but there were a lot of close seconds!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In my glorious times in my school 2nd. eleven I played on a few pitches like that. At times it was very difficult to stay on my feet - and as for changing direction ..............

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Saltdean tigers pitch was out by both angles, and a pitch just outside Eastbourne had a manhole/drain cover in it.

Bevendean Barcelona we used to get changed in cars parked up side of The Avenue.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Also no showers and had the mud cracking on my legs as I drove home. Boots covered in liquid mud and hands so cold couldn't undo laces, real football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here