Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Broken Football

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Really interesting article this, in The Independent, about the getting-hotter topic of football finance. And a contribution from the venerable [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION].

Amongst all the grim facts and figures, a couple of sentences in particular stuck out for me:

"The 1982 English First Division TV deal was just £5.2m and the total international rights were a mere £50,000 from Scandinavia. The wage bill of the wealthiest top-division club was less than three times the bottom club, which meant there was a period when two of the best paid players in England – Michael Robinson and Steve Foster – both played for Brighton and Hove Albion."

Soooo many questions, but primarily, and ignoring the parlous & and morally corrupt state of European football competition, who do we think deserves to be the best paid player in our squad at the moment? I say Lewis Dunk. Longest serving player and didn't go when he could have.

Anymore for any more?

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So just read that.

The thing I took out of it wasn't that I wanted to have a chat about Lewis Dunk's salary. I took more of a sadness about the route football has gone and a determination not to get entitled or overly proud about the Albion's currently lofty status

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I think that it's a reflection of society in general. The gap between the 'super rich' and everyone else is widening.

Unfortunately football has become part of their lives and there are plenty who consider football a business to make money.

All headed by a FIFA who have been less than squeaky clean themselves.

The only real way to get it back would be to put in wage cap rules like rugby and the NFL have with punishment like Saracens got (£5m fine and 35 point deduction) and not this sloppy half arsed FPP rules with no teeth.

But the money being thrown about would never see this happen unfortunately.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
So just read that.

The thing I took out of it wasn't that I wanted to have a chat about Lewis Dunk's salary. I took more of a sadness about the route football has gone and a determination not to get entitled or overly proud about the Albion's currently lofty status

Yeah, I went low brow. Not proud.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
It's a very sad piece, but looking forward to the companion piece being published tomorrow. Would it be so bad if UEFA called the super rich clubs' bluff and said they could set up a European Super League, as long as they left their respective National Leagues? That way, they could circle jerk playing each other endlessly and the ordinary clubs could get on with a wage capped, fair and level league system that had real competition, as well as setting up a parallel European Cup akin to the one prior to the Champions League.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
It's a very sad piece, but looking forward to the companion piece being published tomorrow. Would it be so bad if UEFA called the super rich clubs' bluff and said they could set up a European Super League, as long as they left their respective National Leagues? That way, they could circle jerk playing each other endlessly and the ordinary clubs could get on with a wage capped, fair and level league system that had real competition, as well as setting up a parallel European Cup akin to the one prior to the Champions League.

Yes! I've been banging on about this (in my own head primarily) for years. I'm going to nick your eloquence, if that's alright, and ask *someone* who might know.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i gather this is what UEFA wanted, and the clubs go back and say they'd and their fans would rather stay with the domestic league... so calling UEFA, who promptly expanded the cups with bags of cash to distribute.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Absolutely. UEFA should call their bluff as the European Super League is a shit idea, that would be hugely boring in no time. Honestly, just picture it.

16 teams in one division.
Because they've had to resign from their National Leagues, you couldn't have any promotion or relegation because relegation would mean grovelling back to their National leagues. Wouldn't happen.
So, that's 16 teams playing each other, the same 16 teams each and every year.
That's 30 games for each team. Is that enough? Maybe they play each other in a Cup competition as well. Straight knockout would mean an extra 2 games for half of the teams, and that's if you have 2 legs. Not creating enough games to generate the revenue they want.
Who is in it? Teams who have no historic rivalry, so the only genuine excitement is if you are challenging for the title. Those years where there is one clear "best" team in Europe, whether that's Liverpool, Barca, Real Madrid or whoever, the League could be effectively over by Xmas, and even if there is a bit of a 2-way or even 3-way title battle that leave LOADS of dead rubber games. There is nothing else to play for. No relegation, no "top 4" to qualify for CL, nothing. So a mid-table meaningless clash between Atletico Madrid and Dortmund will hardly get the juices flowing.

It will DIE ON ITS ARSE.

Let them do it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The only real way to get it back would be to put in wage cap rules like rugby and the NFL have with punishment like Saracens got (£5m fine and 35 point deduction) and not this sloppy half arsed FPP rules with no teeth.

It would also have to be enforced globally. Individual nations couldn't do it as not only would their mega-clubs be up and leaving the moment they could all the talent would drain overnight to other nations prepared to pay big bucks. If UEFA introduced it then the same players would all bugger off to China / the USA.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Unfortunately, the economics of football today is total madness. If some of these billions were spent on improving the infrastructure of the country then the country would be in a better place.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
i gather this is what UEFA wanted, and the clubs go back and say they'd and their fans would rather stay with the domestic league... so calling UEFA, who promptly expanded the cups with bags of cash to distribute.

UEFA have been woeful in their leadership for a long time. FIFA aren't much better either.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)

My thoughts exactly. Let the top clubs leave and play an endless series of games between each other. The English football league system would be far more competitive. Imagine a premier league that more or less any team in it could win. Then maybe clubs would take the cups a bit more seriously as well.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think that it's a reflection of society in general. The gap between the 'super rich' and everyone else is widening.

Unfortunately football has become part of their lives and there are plenty who consider football a business to make money.

All headed by a FIFA who have been less than squeaky clean themselves.

But the money being thrown about would never see this happen unfortunately.

But let’s not forget the jobs our wealthy footballers create. Think of all those poor agents that be out of a job if not for the seven figures fees they get for er, em. Moreover, seven figures doesn’t go far these days. You don’t get as many Ferrari’s to the million anymore and no self respecting agent drives the same car on consecutive days each week. People must understand football needs high revenues because of these entirely reasonable and completely unavoidable costs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here