Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] For Albion Fans In Hampshire And Dorset

el punal

And, of course, further a field! A number of us travel for Saturday games on the train from Southampton to Brighton. One of the many conversations, and I believe it’s been mentioned on the board before, is holding an Albion fans get-together.

One of the suggestions was to have a meet up in Winchester as it’s quite central and has decent transport links with both rail and road (M3/A34). The next step is to find out how many of you are interested in this venture, and, whether you have any suggestions or pertinent questions.

If this project is a “goer” I am more than happy to arrange a venue and a suitable date. One pub that has been mentioned is the Albion (I kid you not!) next to Winchester train station, a real ale pub at that!

Would you please let me know if you’re interested in this, and if you have any Seagull friends who don’t read NSC please inform them of this. Based on the number in favour I intend to take the process further and update you accordingly.

I hope that’s all tickety-boo, and look forward to your replies. Cheers! :albion2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And, of course, further a field! A number of us travel for Saturday games on the train from Southampton to Brighton. One of the many conversations, and I believe it’s been mentioned on the board before, is holding an Albion fans get-together.

One of the suggestions was to have a meet up in Winchester as it’s quite central and has decent transport links with both rail and road (M3/A34). The next step is to find out how many of you are interested in this venture, and, whether you have any suggestions or pertinent questions.

If this project is a “goer” I am more than happy to arrange a venue and a suitable date. One pub that has been mentioned is the Albion (I kid you not!) next to Winchester train station, a real ale pub at that!

Would you please let me know if you’re interested in this, and if you have any Seagull friends who don’t read NSC please inform them of this. Based on the number in favour I intend to take the process further and update you accordingly.

I hope that’s all tickety-boo, and look forward to your replies. Cheers! :albion2:

In the days before internet streams, and widespread home Sky subscriptions, we used to get together to watch live games, in the Varsity in Southampton.

From which, via some shared car journeys to likes of Crewe and Yeovil, etc, etc, a couple of lasting friendships emerged. [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] [MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION], etc

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

As an aside, The Albion, is the literally the most expensive pub, outside of Reykjavik, that I've ever bought a round in!

el punal

As an aside, The Albion, is the literally the most expensive pub, outside of Reykjavik, that I've ever bought a round in!

Thanks for that! It tends to be the LAST pub we call at when in Winchester after we’ve trawled the other boozers. One for the “rail” before catching the train home so the accounting bit of the brain is not too active!

P.S. I remember the Varsity well (early 2000s) my daughter used to go there a lot when she was at Soton Uni.
I believe Carrot Cruncher was manager there?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks for that! It tends to be the LAST pub we call at when in Winchester after we’ve trawled the other boozers. One for the “rail” before catching the train home so the accounting bit of the brain is not too active!

I wasn't trying to put you off it.

Location-wise, it is the perfect place to at least meet people.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
Wow, I remember The Albion well from my days at Peter Symmonds College which is just up the road. I'm based in the New Forest now but grew up in Chandlers Ford. Very interested in such a get together. Working in Farnborough Winchester works well for me as it's on the way back

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm in Chandlers Ford, and would certainly be interested, depending on the date.

I've lived here for 30plus years and often walked or driven past the Albion, always gloried in the name, but never been in!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

P.S. I remember the Varsity well (early 2000s) my daughter used to go there a lot when she was at Soton Uni.
I believe Carrot Cruncher was manager there?

Carrot Cruncher...in charge of a pub??? fox and chickens comes to mind!!!

el punal

Thanks for this. As in deepest West Dorset, Winchester is a bit of a leap. Somewhere just off A31 or end of M27 would be ideal?

Don’t worry, we’ll leave you a couple of cans! :D

Seriously though, nothing has been arranged or agreed. At the moment it’s a case of testing the water to find how many are up for a meet and take it from there.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I'm also in Eastleigh, so a Winchester meet up would be a laugh.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

el punal

Will there be a curry? xx

Don’t go there! The last time us football lads did a beer night in Winchester we did finish off with a curry. Caught the train from Winchester to go back to Southampton (only a 15 minute journey), fell asleep and ended up in Brockenhurst with the last train long gone. A taxi ride home costing £60 taught us a lesson. :cry:

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
I am a Wiltshire Gull, Think I would have to change at Eastleigh other than that I would up for it.

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
Great idea, although sadly moved out of Southampton last year.

This has got me thinking though, are there any groups/apps for fans exiled to other areas of the country? Would be nice to not be the only Albion fan in the pub when we're on the telly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here