Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] HS2 Decision

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Utter waste of money on a scheme that will not function as intended and with money
that could be used to upgrade existing lines or fund real projects that will benefit
society rather than the construction business fat cats and their politician crony mates.

I live in London outskirts and while I am not directly affected, it has caused some places
I liked to be knocked down. Lord knows how you would feel if your house was in its
way.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't mind having a high-speed railway link around the country. Improving public transport is a good thing.

What I don't get at all is why it will take ten years to build a railway line from London to Birmingham. Ten years? I just don't understand that at all.

And I will mind if as soon as we've spent our 100 billion on it some cheapskate franchise gets to run trains on it, make a profit whilst charging a fortune for tickets and not investing in a decent service

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Seems a bit of an odd decision, given that the rest of the network is a shambles.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I actually think it's a good thing. The UK desperately needs to upgrade its rail infrastructure. I think it will be a great success in the end.

The whole planning process seems to have been a joke though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Seems a bit of an odd decision, given that the rest of the network is a shambles.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. The network is a shambles, so they're improving it. Why is that an odd decision?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I would rather that money be used to terminate contracts with the companies currently running the franchises. Bring the whole network back in house, standardise the fares to make it genuinely enticing to use the trains rather than drive everywhere. The only thing which makes me think Brexit could be a success is the idea of ending the privatisation of public services and bringing them back under the control of the UK government. Public transport should be standardised across the country for the benefit of everyone, reducing fares, increasing choice and range of services and making it more appealing to people to use the services available rather than hopping in their car.

... but that's not what is going to happen. HS2 I don't feel too passionately about either way, I think the idea of linking the country is good in theory but it doesn't seem necessary. I understand the desire for the high speed link, but I think having reliable Wifi on the trains would probably be a better use of the money in the short term.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I actually think it's a good thing. The UK desperately needs to upgrade its rail infrastructure. I think it will be a great success in the end.

The whole planning process seems to have been a joke though.

I've been involved with some of the planning process, albeit at the peripheries of the scheme, and IME the planning process has indeed been a joke.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'm not sure I follow your logic. The network is a shambles, so they're improving it. Why is that an odd decision?

They're not though. HS2 is a new scheme and the money could have been used to upgrade/existing lines. It doesn't do much
for the existing.

I think that is the point here Badger.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
£330,000,000 per mile for HS2

I'd deal with Hull to Liverpool first for a fraction of the cost

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Like the theory, but convinced by the execution.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I believe it has the potential to be brilliant but I have a strange feeling that various things will be cut back on to cut costs and as such it will end up being a bit of a let down.

This country just doesn't do forward thinking when it comes to infrastructure so by the time it is built it won't be fit for purpose.

See Crossrail and Thameslink 2000.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
HS2 is a new scheme and the money could have been used to upgrade/existing lines. It doesn't do much for the existing.

HS2 is not being paid for out of the rail budget, it has it's own budget. And as per this article it frees up space and capacity for other services.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-financial-benefit-controversy-a8937936.html

Besides, even sinking the full fantasy £100bn figure into the existing railway network would make surprisingly little difference. The WCML was upgraded in the early 2000s for £13bn, that merely kicked the can down the road for that railway filling up on capacity until around 2025. And that was one upgrade on one line which bought about 20 years worth of breathing space. HS2 should be good for a century or more.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
They're not though. HS2 is a new scheme and the money could have been used to upgrade/existing lines. It doesn't do much
for the existing.

I think that is the point here Badger.

Apart from freeing up paths for additional services.

In any case, there are lots of upgrades going on. E.g. the East Coast mainline is being upgraded and that with add extra paths in a couple of years.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'd deal with Hull to Liverpool first for a fraction of the cost

The problem with that is it doesn't do anything to cater for the current capacity constraints between Willesden and Rugby, which is the second biggest pinch-point (after Welwyn) on the UK rail network right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here