Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] HBO to make English version of Parasite

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
No surprise really, I'm not sure films with subtitles would have a mass appeal and 'Enter The Dragon' like dubbing is very 1970's. :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Subtitled films are about as attractive as black and white films to many in my experience. I have recommended a film to people that I know they would like but as soon as I mention subtitles it’s dismissed as too much effort.

HBO will make a killing

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Made me squirm to see the South Korean government smiling, laughing and congratulating themselves on the promotion of the level of poverty in their own country. They just didn’t get it. Who are the Parasites?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Subtitled films are about as attractive as black and white films to many in my experience. I have recommended a film to people that I know they would like but as soon as I mention subtitles it’s dismissed as too much effort.

HBO will make a killing

True. But I don't get why. US remakes are generally shite in comparison to the originals (The Ring, Old Boy etc etc etc).

Would also mean not bothering with Gomorrah which is just plain stupid.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Hollywood ballsed up with their glitzy, sanitised rehashes great movies such as funny-games-2_poster_goldposter_com_16.jpg Spoorloos.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seen loads of subtitled films. I am sure I much prefer to see the film the way it’s intended with subtitles. I’m rattling through loads of films in my head thinking each and everyone would just look weird and totally lose it’s aesthetic if it was reshot with English language.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
True. But I don't get why. US remakes are generally shite in comparison to the originals (The Ring, Old Boy etc etc etc).

Would also mean not bothering with Gomorrah which is just plain stupid.

I prefer most subtitles films to US films with deep south accents, I need the subs anyway for those!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I actually concentrate a lot more when watching films in subtitles, cant get distracted by my phone. Still remember being introduced to Battle Royal as a teenager, what a great film that is.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Coming from watching anime I have a loathing of dubs and am quite happy with subtitles - looking forward to seeing the original version of 'Parasite' when available, do tend to watch a lot of South East Asian films and TV on Netflix as well. Surely if the film is remade by a different director in a different language and Hollywood sensibilities then it is not the same film any more.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Seen loads of subtitled films. I am sure I much prefer to see the film the way it’s intended with subtitles. I’m rattling through loads of films in my head thinking each and everyone would just look weird and totally lose it’s aesthetic if it was reshot with English language.

The second helping of Deutschland was shit with a lot more English in.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I just don't take anything the US does seriously anymore. They butchered so much good content of recent years, such as the fantastic Nordic Noir content, not to mention 'the office' and 'shameless'.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I thought the US Office was pretty good, at least until Jim and Pam married, then quality plummeted, but we still got six or so great seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here