Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jose Izquerdo

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In one of his very few games last season, whilst half fit, he still managed to burn off Adama Traore. It was near the south west corner. Gave a massive fist pump. He loves being fast. Hope he gets back to somewhere near what he had

This - love all the medical experts on here who despite having literally no idea of the extent of his injury or how his recovery/rehab is going are writing off either his pace or his return at all. He MIGHT not return, and he MIGHT not have the same pace.......then again he MIGHT make a full recovery. Not sure how he fits in to our lineup, but I'd love to see a flying Jose back - he is (was if you prefer) genuinely rapid.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
can't believe people are debating whether he's quick or not- he was surely the quickest member of the squad when fit?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
can't believe people are debating whether he's quick or not- he was surely the quickest member of the squad when fit?

Unfortunately the same could be said of Stephen Hawkins.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Apologies, I didn’t have time to read the entire thread at the time. I do concur with those who feel he will never get anywhere near his original pace back, and we’ll be looking at a substantial write-off, unfortunately because he was a good guy, but I can’t see him coming back to PL level now.

We'll see and some don't recover. But for evidence that a successful high level comeback after a career threatening injury or (two) can happen you don't have to look far. Ask Glenn Murray or Solly March.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In my (non medical) view, you've got a good change of a full recovery from cruciate or similar if

A) Your game isn't based around pace, turning and acceleration
B) You are the right side of 25

So Solly who was about 21, and Muzza and most centre backs or keepers are able to make full recoveries or at least adapt their game.

Penney, KLL, CMS and plenty of others were never able to find the explosive power they once had and so dropped down the divisions or out of football.

Loads also depends on the psychology of it. Players can be fit, but never have the confidence to really push their body like they did before the injury for risk of having another year out.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Really? Blimey. He was a difference maker in our first season up, played a huge part in our survival. Even if he does nothing else for the Albion I will remain very fond of him

And scored the best goal we have scored so far in the Premier League (Stoke, in my opinion).

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
In my (non medical) view, you've got a good change of a full recovery from cruciate or similar if

A) Your game isn't based around pace, turning and acceleration
B) You are the right side of 25

So Solly who was about 21, and Muzza and most centre backs or keepers are able to make full recoveries or at least adapt their game.

Penney, KLL, CMS and plenty of others were never able to find the explosive power they once had and so dropped down the divisions or out of football.

Loads also depends on the psychology of it. Players can be fit, but never have the confidence to really push their body like they did before the injury for risk of having another year out.

This is my worry about him also - all I can think of is what KLL was like after his surgery, you could see him getting towards maximum velocity and then throttling it back (unless I imagined it :) ), in case of a reoccurance

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Great team effort involved with that one, the West Ham goal has got to be in top 5 surely.

Both of those goals also prove that we could play decent football under CH, we just reverted to type when things got tough.

Hope Izquierdo comes back and surprises us all but I just can't see it happening sadly.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
This is my worry about him also - all I can think of is what KLL was like after his surgery, you could see him getting towards maximum velocity and then throttling it back (unless I imagined it :) ), in case of a reoccurance

KLL had a completely different injury though. His was his achilles. Much more relevant in terms of explosive pace. Knee injuries are more of an issue for changes of direction.

Ultimately we won't know until he's back but the suggestion is he'll be back February/March time. If he managed a few cameo appearances and scores a couple of goals that will be perfect. Then a full preseason next season ready to bring some much needed pace and strength to the side.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Absence seems to distort peoples memory of what Izzy brought to the table. Yes he brought some pace but he could only come inside and the shot unleashed could just as easily in go to the corner flag as nestle in the top corner of the goal. You also wouldn't ever trust him on a ' one on one' with the keeper. It would be great to have him back as an option but he won't be the saviour.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Absence seems to distort peoples memory of what Izzy brought to the table. Yes he brought some pace but he could only come inside and the shot unleashed could just as easily in go to the corner flag as nestle in the top corner of the goal. You also wouldn't ever trust him on a ' one on one' with the keeper. It would be great to have him back as an option but he won't be the saviour.

He also set up a few goals in his first season by beating his man and getting to the byline. We don’t seem to have anyone capable of doing that at the moment.

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9241741 said:
Where you and I see just 24 players, an Optimist sees 25 :thumbsup:

Fortunately for us in the last couple of games our 25th squad member has been the little known welsh striker "Own Goal"; the most important signing of the January window.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes that’s more my recollection. One cross with his left foot in two seasons, otherwise cut inside and shoot.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
We don’t need him to come in and be the messiah. We just need someone in the team with some genuine pace to challeng defenders and help break down teams who sit back. It’s what we were crying out for against Watford. Izquierdo provides that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here