Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 16 year uld gets a Test Match Hat Trick

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It is very interesting/curious that Pakistan has such a rich heritage of producing good seam bowlers.

All about having heroes I suppose. Pakistan is famed and feared for its fast-bowlers, which leads into more kids wanting to be fast bowlers. Fazal Mahmood and Sarfraz Nawaz were Imran Khan's heroes, who was Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis's hero, who were Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Amir's heroes, and now this lad.

We, on the other hand, like having stodgy openers to bat all day a la Boycott, Atherton and Cook. Every now again we'll have a Botham, Flintoff or Stokes and go all gooey over them before we're back to selecting a host of stodgy openers to bat all day. Might have got another good one in Sibley.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
All about having heroes I suppose. Pakistan is famed and feared for its fast-bowlers, which leads into more kids wanting to be fast bowlers. Fazal Mahmood and Sarfraz Nawaz were Imran Khan's heroes, who was Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis's hero, who were Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Amir's heroes, and now this lad.

We, on the other hand, like having stodgy openers to bat all day a la Boycott, Atherton and Cook. Every now again we'll have a Botham, Flintoff or Stokes and go all gooey over them before we're back to selecting a host of stodgy openers to bat all day. Might have got another good one in Sibley.

I read an article on something like the Indian Times website which supports your suggestion. There also seems to be a certain status on the speed of the bowlers, and not necessarily the accuracy. I'd imagine Akhtar would have taken a few more wickets if he had sacrificed a couple of mph.
Naved ul Hasan was one of my favourite overseas players for Sussex, a great supporting act when Mushy was skittling teams out.

I think we all yearn for a Botham, Freddie, Stokes etc and often elevate players that aren't quite in the same league like Darren Gough or Chris Lewis in the hope that they will come good. But you're right about Sibley, and I like the look of Sam Curran as a potential all-rounder as well, both still pretty young of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here