Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Winter Break, what are the clubs up to?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
As this seems to be the new norm going forward just wondering whether the players will actually get a break from it all (training included) for a few days or spend the whole time on a standard (likely warm weather) training camp?

I know we have something planned in Europe but not sure if this actually includes any time off there or at home?

Will be interesting to see schedule by club and how this improves or adversely affects the remainder of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It's an utterly pointless endeavour and in time will be used by clubs to fly half way aound the globe to play meaningless exhibition matches in far-flung Far Eastern counties where they wish to raise their commercial profile. With modern pitch technology, physio methods and squad sizes there is absolutley no need for a winter break, especially in a league made up just 20 teams and a second string to play cup matches.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Some clubs seem to have left players to do their own thing, others have an organised trip
We know the Albion cancelled a trip to Dubai. Do we know what they have done instead.?
Are our heroes relaxing in the sun, or training hard?

Personally, I would have thought a commando style course in Scotland might have tested their mettle???

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Many players, and managers, headed off for proper holidays in the heat - Maldives, Dubai, Miami.

Pleasing to see that it wasn’t abused with yet more global money making,

Clubs have been banned from using the break as a commercial opportunity, no friendlies/tours allowed. I'm sure club power will eventually change that should the break continue beyond this season.

many players at Superbowl I hear

That sounds highly unlikely given that it happened a week ago at the end of a full weekend of games.

It looks like most clubs have given players a some time off to spend with their families before reporting back to training, not many appear to have booked overseas training camps.

Man Utd have gone to Spain for a training camp, Ighalo hasn't travelled due to fears he wouldn't be allowed back in the country if immigration rules were tightened due to him having been in China recently.

Wolves went to Marbella, Sheff Utd and Arsenal are going to Dubai.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I usually hate it when we have a blank weekend during the season, but for once I'm relieved we have a Winter break this year.

We are so bang out of form that after what we saw on Saturday I started to think 'will we win another game this season'? This has undoubtedly come at the right time for us.

Really hope this next two weeks will allow the squad to really focus and train hard for the Sheffield game and put in a decent performance.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A premier league players life is piss easy, max 1 game a week, fortnight off every six weeks or so if they are not good enough for their national team. Get them training they have 10 days to try and sort out our shaky defense and learn to show a bit of fight to prove they actually want another season at the top.

We have 12 games left to get 13 points, last 12 games we got 12 points and that should've have been the "easier" part of the season compared to the next 12 games.

el punal

I usually hate it when we have a blank weekend during the season, but for once I'm relieved we have a Winter break this year.

We are so bang out of form that after what we saw on Saturday I started to think 'will we win another game this season'? This has undoubtedly come at the right time for us.

Really hope this next two weeks will allow the squad to really focus and train hard for the Sheffield game and put in a decent performance.

The only consolation about our recent “bang out of form” malaise has been that we somehow acquired a point each against West Ham and Watford. Both games we could so easily have lost and gifted both with three vital points. We didn’t, and in my view that means that our confidence has not been shattered as would have been the case if they had been defeats.

As you have stated these two weeks should be used to overcome the shortcomings and introduce MacAllister and Lamptey into the proceedings. You never know, the introduction of new blood might just be the impetus to get our season back on track.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The only consolation about our recent “bang out of form” malaise has been that we somehow acquired a point each against West Ham and Watford. Both games we could so easily have lost and gifted both with three vital points. We didn’t, and in my view that means that our confidence has not been shattered as would have been the case if they had been defeats.

As you have stated these two weeks should be used to overcome the shortcomings and introduce MacAllister and Lamptey into the proceedings. You never know, the introduction of new blood might just be the impetus to get our season back on track.

I think I read somewhere that MacAlister is linking up with the squad AFTER the break, as opposed to during.

Agree about the first bit. Sheffield United managed to help out yesterday in the end, too!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I think I read somewhere that MacAlister is linking up with the squad AFTER the break, as opposed to during.

Agree about the first bit. Sheffield United managed to help out yesterday in the end, too!

Mac Allister joining the squad after the warm weather training (but still before the end of the two week break)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here