Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What has happened to Potter ball ???

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think you are overlooking the fact that, under Hughton during the first one and a half seasons in the PL, we did play some very attractive and effective football in numerous home games. I have seen some excellent attacking football in away games at Villa, Arsenal, Spurs, Palace and Newcastle this season, but can't really say the home form has been much different to the "average" under CH (with a couple of exceptions) Forget the possession stats. - they are meaningless when it's mostly in our own defensive third of the pitch.

Very fair and accurate post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I don't think it is attitude, all the players seem to be playing a system rather than the game though. Other teams seem to have sussed that a consistent tempo produces errors when we play out from the back. (We just passed them the ball yesterday). We only seem to raise our tempo when down and desperate to score. Maybe the players feel more nervous playing at the Amex with hope and expectations high? We seem to be better playing away, when our backs are up against it from the off.

BTW. One good thing to come from yesterday was Ali J's sublime pass to March. From the North you could see how good that was. Class act, wish he had the Greyhounds legs though.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The other teams have worked us out and are actively trying to stop us, rather than focusing on their play.
We are playing in the Premier League, all the other teams have the resources to do this.

The question is whether Potter has the ability to adapt and improve us by switching tactics.
The subs used in the last two games indicate that he has the ability to read the game and affect it's outcome

So the signs are good in that regard.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He’s not experienced at this level nor even the one below. If he was, he’d have a plan to play a team that can get results based on the talent currently here rather than vision to be; which won’t come to pass because relegated managers just don’t tend to get 2nd bites and time to implement plans especially with less money to spend and best players departing. Strikes me as a good solid pro and nice guy. But we’re not after a news reader but a news maker to lead us.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The other teams have worked us out and are actively trying to stop us, rather than focusing on their play.
We are playing in the Premier League, all the other teams have the resources to do this.

The question is whether Potter has the ability to adapt and improve us by switching tactics.
The subs used in the last two games indicate that he has the ability to read the game and affect it's outcome

So the signs are good in that regard.

Maybe, but it’s getting awfully eleventh hour if he is learning and I’m not convinced that he is. I’m not sure about the worked us out bit either, that’s flattery we haven’t earned I.e. teams can play badly against us and yet we still can’t stick the ball in the net when they do. It’s less working us out, more getting away with it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’d like to know how many of goals conceded were down to errors by our midfielders this season.

The last 2 goals at home both Mooy in positions he shouldn’t be losing the ball as had time and space for a touch and look up.

You’ve then got the Propper one against Chelsea...

Just off the top of my head.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
No one has given credit to Watford for being really hard to break down and sticking to a game plan of eleven behind the ball.

For me the starting XI was wrong, Burn is slow on the ball and Schelotto just isn't a full back or comfortable on the ball, he is fine running onto the ball but does not fit into a passing side. For Potter to change both full backs in the second half highlights his selection was wrong.

To beat sides like Watford and Sheff Utd who park the bus you need to pass quicker and stretch them we were slow and ponderous.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

What about the first half? Pearson was trying to hold on to what they had and get 3 points.

Again, tell me where Pearson out-thought GP? The fact that they were 1-0 up at half-time doesnt mean that he was out thought. They had one clear cut chance, from a break-away, us giving them the ball and a fanastic finish. What was clever about Pearson's tactics? was that so different to how anyone might have expected them to play? Did he make subtle, creative changes during the half? Not for me he didn't.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Again, tell me where Pearson out-thought GP? The fact that they were 1-0 up at half-time doesnt mean that he was out thought. They had one clear cut chance, from a break-away, us giving them the ball and a fanastic finish. What was clever about Pearson's tactics? was that so different to how anyone might have expected them to play? Did he make subtle, creative changes during the half? Not for me he didn't.

Out thought in selection.

They started with a highly competitive, mobile, powerful and tall CM three of Capoue, Hughes and Doucoure. They bossed Gross, Mooy and Propper until the 60th minute. Athleticism allied with skill makes a huge difference in CM. As the away team they didn't need to carve out chance after chance, robbing us with a narrow away win is as old as football.

Potter making those early-ish subs was a game changer. Suddenly we had pace and directness too.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Reading some of the stuff in here and other threads I get the impression that people on here want him to fail and want us to be relegated!

Have you seen the games in the championship a lot of the grounds look empty ,we don`t want that .For me i am pinning hopes on Macallister when he comes in if he can adapt to the Premier League .If he really is that good and it does not matter what League you are in if he can score from free kicks for example it could give us 3 or 4 extra points .He very good from other set pieces like corners and can drive into the box .Hard to say who would make way for him though .

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

They started with a highly competitive, mobile, powerful and tall CM three of Capoue, Hughes and Doucoure. They bossed Gross, Mooy and Propper until the 60th minute. Athleticism allied with skill makes a huge difference in CM. As the away team they didn't need to carve out chance after chance, robbing us with a narrow away win is as old as football.

Potter making those early-ish subs was a game changer. Suddenly we had pace and directness too.

Sorry, but whether they needed to or not, as the away team, the comment was made that Potter was out-thought. Pearson has made selections based on how expects us to play and who is available, as has GP. Hughes probably doesn't start if Chalobah is 100% fit. The "tactics" were pretty basic as you say "as old as football", effectively what we saw the last two seasons - thats Ok, effective,but "out-thought" is a term that I just cannot see. Potter did react, made subs one of whom makes the pass resulting in the goal. He selects Duffy, arguably to try and nullify Deeney (who for me was pretty anonymous) .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sorry, but whether they needed to or not, as the away team, the comment was made that Potter was out-thought. Pearson has made selections based on how expects us to play and who is available, as has GP. Hughes probably doesn't start if Chalobah is 100% fit. The "tactics" were pretty basic as you say "as old as football", effectively what we saw the last two seasons - thats Ok, effective,but "out-thought" is a term that I just cannot see. Potter did react, made subs one of whom makes the pass resulting in the goal. He selects Duffy, arguably to try and nullify Deeney (who for me was pretty anonymous) .

I'm not saying that Pearson was a genius in the match, just that he got his first team selection spot on, simply playing his best players. We often fail against powerful opponents (Blades, Burnley), and he seemed aware of that. Potter didn't ... keeps tinkering and too many weak 'technicians' in midfield.

Agree with you about Deeney, I put that down to Dunk or Duffy doing a job on him. I expect to be hammered now, as almost everyone seems to hate Duffy with a passion.

I just don’t get the notion of Potter continually getting congratulated for crap selections when he finally deigns to bring on better players.

Dropping Maupay raises serious questions about not knowing what he’s doing

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I just don’t get the notion of Potter continually getting congratulated for crap selections when he finally deigns to bring on better players.

Dropping Maupay raises serious questions about not knowing what he’s doing

Good point - he shouldn't be praised as a genius for the subs at West Ham and yesterday. They were wise moves and unlike CH he does make subs early, but how about picking a competitive and on form starting 11.

Jahanbakhsh and Alzate should start the next match, if not and we go a goal down (or lose), he's not seeing the wood for the trees.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
People are blaming Duffy for the goal yesterday for not making a tackle but the real problem was Mooy losing the ball in midfield and as has been said his confidence must be rock bottom at the moment.

Did Mooy go to Oz over the international break?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I realise we're all hurting at the moment, but I found this genuine report on Sat game, on how we may be percieved.

"The hosts make a better start, pushing us onto the back foot. (It’ll become clear that we would’ve been on the back foot anyway, but let’s not spoil the moment.) Will Hughes blocks Burn’s bouncing half-volley, Murray meets a cross but is sufficiently impeded by Kabasele. There are a couple of corners. It’s a flurry rather than a storm, and it’s over in five minutes or so. We deal with it well, calm and diligent in defence, snappy in midfield. The game settles into a pattern from which it’ll never escape, of Brighton having great acres of possession and not really knowing how to harvest it, of Watford suffocating it all by sitting deep and gradually pushing each attack backwards, guiding a toddler out of a toy shop.

It has the dramatic intensity of someone prodding a damp sponge with an old toothbrush.

Thing is, you can see where Graham Potter’s trying to get to. Brighton are comfortable on the ball, and they have a few bright, lightweight players who’d frustrate a pragmatist like Hughton but would excite a coach interested in cultivating something more high-brow. What they don’t have is any kind of cutting edge. There’s the potential for goals from Murray, obviously, but he sits atop all of this like a cat on a Christmas tree; the rest of the team isn’t set up either to supply or support him. We happily force Brighton into wide areas and even when we can’t disrupt their crosses, nobody’s remotely interested in joining Uncle Glenn in the penalty area. It all goes very flat very quickly.

They’re a nice side. Polite, tidy, please, thank you. But you have to think that they’re a sitting duck if anyone in the bottom three ever manages to get their shit together"

https://bhappy.wordpress.com/2020/02/09/brighton-and-hove-albion-1-watford-1-08-02-2020/

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I realise we're all hurting at the moment, but I found this genuine report on Sat game, on how we may be percieved.

It has the dramatic intensity of someone prodding a damp sponge with an old toothbrush.

Thing is, you can see where Graham Potter’s trying to get to. Brighton are comfortable on the ball, and they have a few bright, lightweight players who’d frustrate a pragmatist like Hughton but would excite a coach interested in cultivating something more high-brow. What they don’t have is any kind of cutting edge. There’s the potential for goals from Murray, obviously, but he sits atop all of this like a cat on a Christmas tree; the rest of the team isn’t set up either to supply or support him. We happily force Brighton into wide areas and even when we can’t disrupt their crosses, nobody’s remotely interested in joining Uncle Glenn in the penalty area. It all goes very flat very quickly.

They’re a nice side. Polite, tidy, please, thank you. But you have to think that they’re a sitting duck if anyone in the bottom three ever manages to get their shit together"

https://bhappy.wordpress.com/2020/02/09/brighton-and-hove-albion-1-watford-1-08-02-2020/

Worryingly accurate appraisal of our current state.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here