Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What has happened to Potter ball ???

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
People are blaming Duffy for the goal yesterday for not making a tackle but the real problem was Mooy losing the ball in midfield and as has been said his confidence must be rock bottom at the moment.

Yes that was the primary reason. Duffy should have done better but 60% Mooy for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It’s not all about Potter or being found out by other managers, it has a lot to do with players belief.

We know this lot have fragile belief from this time last season, and they’re showing again when the going gets tough their confidence and belief is found wanting.

You could see that yesterday, decision making on the ball, gifting them the ball for their goal, extra touches, not wanting it, making runs into the wrong areas, not getting the ball in.

The manager will be as furious as many of us I would think. Hughton experienced this last season and went even more conservative. Potter needs to find a way to unlock their belief and fast. This time last season we may have lost that, so we’ve still got something about us.

The problem is that Mooy, Gross and Trossard look totally devoid of confidence, and they are generally who we have looked to, to make things happen. And (as I may have said a few times :wink:) Murray, Gross and Mooy together are too slow to play Potterball in the Premier. One maybe, two at most, but not all three.

In all football, I often think there is a blind confidence in youth that hasn't been blunted by experience. Maybe the youngsters are the answer ?

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes that was the primary reason. Duffy should have done better but 60% Mooy for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that’s generous, think I’d have it 75%+ Mooy, he received the ball in space, took 3 touches, players got beyond him and he inexplicably gave the ball away, ending pretty much with a 3 on 3, Duffy could have done better, but was landed in that spot by Mooy.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Going by the amount of backward and sideways passing displayed it looks like we are playing Potton ball now.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Easier said than done when he inherited A) the slowest team in the Premier League & B) a team that has nobody that can unlock a defence.

Makes us unbelievably easy to defend against.

This. It’s gonna take this summer for Potter to really create his own after inheriting this squad, we’re easy to defend against - just surrender possession to us knowing that we’re unable to break teams down

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Potters system has been sussed by almost every team for months now and the lack of adaptability is a concern. All the other team have to do is press high, work hard, and crowd the midfield and were completely screwed due to the lack of natural width and players with the ability to move the ball quickly.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
100% and Mooy’s confidence is the most shot of the lot; a few weeks ago he’d be taking players on, now he seems to favour a sideways pass when faced with opposition players in his path. You can see more confidence in the subs, Alzate and Ali J yesterday, because they have a point to prove to Potter.

This. Atleast 3 times in the second half he was running down the left with Solly free on the overlap in front of him near the NW corner, instead of a pass that would set Solly free to get in behind with a potential cross, he stopped and passed it back into the crowded midfield.

The only way we got any success was down the wings and crossing it into the middle, which is where the own goal came from.

Couldn't understand why that wasn't Mooys first thought.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
- Ponderously slow build up earlydoors instead of hitting the ground running and at least attempting to undermine the confidence of the opposition

- Meaningless possession without penetration

- Not so much Potterball as Tinkerball, nobody anticipates who they're going to be playing alongside from game to game, let alone what kind of runs they're going to make

Flaws are there for all to see, sadly

When we are good we are very very good, but when we are bad we are horrid

Still prefer it to life under Hughton, mind...

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
- Ponderously slow build up earlydoors instead of hitting the ground running and at least attempting to undermine the confidence of the opposition

- Meaningless possession without penetration

- Not so much Potterball as Tinkerball, nobody anticipates who they're going to be playing alongside from game to game, let alone what kind of runs they're going to make

Flaws are there for all to see, sadly

When we are good we are very very good, but when we are bad we are horrid

Still prefer it to life under Hughton, mind...

Preferable to hughton...not quite the reinvention of football we Were hoping for last summer

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I think you are overlooking the fact that, under Hughton during the first one and a half seasons in the PL, we did play some very attractive and effective football in numerous home games. I have seen some excellent attacking football in away games at Villa, Arsenal, Spurs, Palace and Newcastle this season, but can't really say the home form has been much different to the "average" under CH (with a couple of exceptions) Forget the possession stats. - they are meaningless when it's mostly in our own defensive third of the pitch.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
01-gif-small-trash-cans-tennis-ball-victory-500.gif

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
We don’t yet have the players to really play how he wants to play. We have no real quality wide players with pace. Full backs likewise. The 3 in the middle do not have the right blend of being solid and creative and we do t have a striker who is pacy and can hold the ball up, we have one or the other.
He’s having to make do with players brought in to play a different style of football under a previous management team.
Team know play deep and narrow we will struggle to break them down.
I’d like to see Lamptey and March at full back tbh. Both have pace and the ability to attack and defend
Alzate in CM somewhere
Mupaay just off Murray
Use trossard off the bench for a bit run at teams late on.
He needs to be given a bit more time to develop a team he wants.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We don’t yet have the players to really play how he wants to play. We have no real quality wide players with pace. Full backs likewise. The 3 in the middle do not have the right blend of being solid and creative and we do t have a striker who is pacy and can hold the ball up, we have one or the other.
He’s having to make do with players brought in to play a different style of football under a previous management team.
Team know play deep and narrow we will struggle to break them down.
I’d like to see Lamptey and March at full back tbh. Both have pace and the ability to attack and defend
Alzate in CM somewhere
Mupaay just off Murray
Use trossard off the bench for a bit run at teams late on.
He needs to be given a bit more time to develop a team he wants.

March is too lightweight in a tackle to play fullback. He can fill in there, but simply not robust enough to do it regularly.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
March is too lightweight in a tackle to play fullback. He can fill in there, but simply not robust enough to do it regularly.

I would have said that last year but I think he could in this system. The full backs I think potter is looking for are technically gifted, have pace and basically play like wing backs even in a back 4.
Chillwell robertson ect are not that robust but provide their side with attacking energy down that side whilst having some defensive abilities. March does have that defensively. He may need to work on positional part of the game but the amount of teams we play now who sit narrow with all men behind the ball is growing by the week. Personally I think he would give us an outlet certainly v the teams outside the top 3/4 sides

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

GP has been out thought by more experienced Premier managers, it is a learning curve unfortunately that we seem to be losing.

Can't agree.. how did Pearson "out think" Potter yesterday? The fact that he knew we played possession football made him set up his team in one of the most defensive displays we have seen at the Amex.. Not only that, he made defensive subs apart from Welbeck late on, giving Potter the encouragement to make attacking subs and ultimately get the winner. The second half was all about us. Cannot see how that was outhinking ..

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Perhaps the other sides have worked it out and know how to nullify it ???

It’s not hard is it, we have no pace, we can’t in get in behind, keep a well organised back 4 and we’re screwed. Playing Murray on his own means they can do that but even further up the pitch giving us even less space to try and play through the press. Duffy looked uncomfortable yesterday but that’s partly because there was literally nothing on in front of him, either in to Dunk or out to the Greyhound. We need to do so something else, swapping personnel whilst performing the same routine isn’t working.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can't agree.. how did Pearson "out think" Potter yesterday? The fact that he knew we played possession football made him set up his team in one of the most defensive displays we have seen at the Amex.. Not only that, he made defensive subs apart from Welbeck late on, giving Potter the encouragement to make attacking subs and ultimately get the winner. The second half was all about us. Cannot see how that was outhinking ..

What about the first half? Pearson was trying to hold on to what they had and get 3 points.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Reading some of the stuff in here and other threads I get the impression that people on here want him to fail and want us to be relegated!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here