Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What has happened to Potter ball ???

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I haven't read all the posts so please excuse me if this comment has already been made.
Potter lost his father last month so it might very well be the case that he is still grieving and cannot focus exclusively on the task in hand at the moment.
Perhaps critics might cut him a little slack.
Just saying....

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I'd be happy to dig in for a hard-fought point in Sheffield and to turn on the style with Potterball resuming at home to Palace on our way to a comfortable win.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Doucoure ran 10-15 yds with the ball after collecting it off of Mooy about 8 yds inside of our half, with no challenge whatsoever from anybody, which wouldnt have happened had Stephens been playing. What was Duffy supposed to do lunge straight into a tackle, No the obvious was to jockey him back for others to help out and put in a tackle but unfortunately they didnt.

duffy couldn't have made it any easier, he should have at least shown him onto his wrong foot

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
We spent a good chunk of last season being toilet and then brought in an inexperienced (Premier League) manager who has was changing our style of play. This lead to us being underestimated in the first part of the season and teams were more open against us. In turn this made our "PotterBall" passing approach much, much more effective as teams were allowing us to play and we looked really good. We chalked-up some decent wins, impressive displays and were starting to get some positive press.

The result of this means teams had to change tactically when facing us. We are now encountering more teams who are sitting with everyone behind the ball and we are struggling to break teams down...Which has seemed to be an age old problem for us. The first real way to combat this is to keep then ball and continually shift it to keep moving the opposition around and hope to exploit a gap with a quick and clever 1-2 or something. Unfortunately I am not sure our fanbase has the patience for this and besides, we only end-up giving the ball away. The other way round this to have someone who has that bit of magic who, in the blink of an eye can beat a couple of players, which will alter the defensive structure of the opposition for that move and should create an opening. Sadly, our player with that sort of X-factor is currently on loan at Fulham.

As I said above, we looked really good in the first part of the season, so although it was frustrating that we dropped points, especially as home to the likes of Saints, Burnley & West Ham, I was confident the results would come. However, now we have just played 4 "6-pointers" in a row and have claimed just 2 points. This is very concerning and until we manage to start breaking teams down on a more regular basis I fear we will go down.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I haven't read all the posts so please excuse me if this comment has already been made.
Potter lost his father last month so it might very well be the case that he is still grieving and cannot focus exclusively on the task in hand at the moment.
Perhaps critics might cut him a little slack.
Just saying....

Sometimes I am genuinely bewildered whether posters are winding up or serious. This is one of those. If it is a wind up , in bad taste; if serious, you really can't be serious, apart from anything else the problem has been evident while Dad was still here.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Possession is such a dull stat because as we all know, it’s what you do with it that counts. Lies lies and damned lies eh!

Shot table too.

bdf3148792d3c50575826f63841d6652.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Thompson needs to get his head out his ass.

Potter is not a dinosaur manager, he plays fluid systems and more than happy to mix it up. In game even.

We played Potterball against the Blades at the Amex. Their style neutralized it. So we adapted and played more direct yesterday.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Potterball is dead.

Long live survival.

Thommo says it all: https://www.skysports.com/football/sheff-utd-vs-brighton/report/408248.

CH is not a man to smugly smile on the side lines, but he could do. All about hoping 3 worse come May and hope for rebuild.

Thompson is absolutely spot on about the ball not going forward quickly enough. We don't have midfield players with the speed of thought to deliver passes before defenders close the spaces down. Or at least we haven't had. Ally Mac and Lamptey might change that. And where was Alzate yesterday?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thompson is absolutely spot on about the ball not going forward quickly enough. We don't have midfield players with the speed of thought to deliver passes before defenders close the spaces down. Or at least we haven't had. Ally Mac and Lamptey might change that. And where was Alzate yesterday?

Alzate... Naylor wrote that he had a bit of a groin issue, Potter said it was a tactical decision.

The truth could be possibly be somewhere in between: "Alzate could play but got a bit of a groin issue and it wouldnt be wise to use him in a very physical game".

I doubt Potter is lying but more and more managers are becoming reluctant to speak about injury issues as you dont want opponents to target half-injured players.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And where was Alzate yesterday?

According to Naylor, he was injured. According to Potter, it was a tactical decision to leave him out of the squad.

I don't know if Naylor is reporting what Alzate (or his camp) have said to protect him from the idea he has been dropped, or Potter not wanting to give away too much information about future team selections.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think it’s encouraging that GP is developing/changing his style to be less predictable and mixing it about a bit more. We have been crying out on here for ages for him to adapt a bit more - are we now complaining about him changing his principles?
As said above, we need players with a bit of foresight to get the ball forward quicker in order to utilise what forward strength we have.
I still think we have enough to stay up, and that was always the target. Hopefully we can slowly develop the squad and make progress over the next few years. Liverpool wasn’t built in a day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here