Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] First vs second half performances at the Amex

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
"Poor first half, much better second"

This Amex match summary seems like groundhog day. Any thoughts on the reason? It feels like either a tactical issue (we tend to start too conservatively and then kick on once more direct, attacking players are introduced), or a more fundamental structural one (we play much better when attacking towards our own fans in the North)...

I have no stats to back this up but my feeling from the North is that this has been an issue for some time. Thoughts?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are chased down by teams at the Amex trying to force an error with their pressing. We normally have 65 to 70 percent possession. They run out of steam midway though the second half and we take complete control, we just can’t break teams down with guile and flair though. Villa was an exception, maybe they are super fit or didn’t press too hard in the first half?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
"Poor first half, much better second"

This Amex match summary seems like groundhog day. Any thoughts on the reason? It feels like either a tactical issue (we tend to start too conservatively and then kick on once more direct, attacking players are introduced), or a more fundamental structural one (we play much better when attacking towards our own fans in the North)...

I have no stats to back this up but my feeling from the North is that this has been an issue for some time. Thoughts?

Against Villa, good first half , dire second half.

I can only think of a couple of games this season where we have played well for 90 minutes. We are a 45 minute team, which 45 minutes changes from game to game.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
First half was really poor. 2nd half they allowed us to attack although I didn't think we really looked dangerous just had more if the ball in their half. After we scored and they started playing again and we looked 2nd best. We are far too slow but what do you expect if you're playing Gross and Propper.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
First 10 minutes we were good, then ran out of ideas.

From then until the 60th minute Watford became yet another team to outclass us. They seemed taller, faster, everyone knew their job, first to second and third balls.

In the 61st minute we woke from our lower leagues slumber, Watford’s game collapsing as a result. Very good.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
I know it has been mentioned in other threads, but I firmly believe the club should consider ways of sticking the away fans in a corner. Premier league is a matter of small percentage points of advantage

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The first half Patient Build Up thing is painful to watch and invariably gives even the poorest teams hope of snatching a point or three. Then we panic and throw on the kitchen sink in the second half and usually manage to salvage something. Unusual tactics to say the least

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I know it has been mentioned in other threads, but I firmly believe the club should consider ways of sticking the away fans in a corner. Premier league is a matter of small percentage points of advantage
I don’t disagree with the suggestion that an away team attacking the South goal can seem to have an unnecessary advantage.... but that wasn’t an issue today, was it?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Extremely poor first half......which is normal fair

2nd half was slightly better against a very poor team. However if you only have one shot on target (and this took 76 mins) you’re not going to win too much!

We are a very poor team with a sub standard management team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here