Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is Amex normal?

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
I haven’t been following EPL too long only since two years ago so sorry if this is a stupid question. Why does the away team get so many seats behind the goal at the Amex? It just seems that I don’t see this setup in any other stadium and didn’t like the Watford keeper’s showboating at the end of the half there, but honestly it must feel like a home game for him for a half. Same thing if they are taking a penalty and facing their fans. It just seems strange that at Amex that entire stand is away fans. Sometimes on the TV if you didn’t recognize Amex you’d think it was the other team’s stadium.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I haven’t been following EPL too long only since two years ago so sorry if this is a stupid question. Why does the away team get so many seats behind the goal at the Amex? It just seems that I don’t see this setup in any other stadium and didn’t like the Watford keeper’s showboating at the end of the half there, but honestly it must feel like a home game for him for a half. Same thing if they are taking a penalty and facing their fans. It just seems strange that at Amex that entire stand is away fans. Sometimes on the TV if you didn’t recognize Amex you’d think it was the other team’s stadium.

10% that's it. Most away supporters will make an effort compared to a nervous home support

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020

Evening JCL !

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
The away fans should be out of the way in the East corner but the club won’t do it because they’ll miss out charging home fans £60 for the seats when the away fans only pay £30.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I agree, it's a ridiculous place to put the away fans.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
The away fans should be out of the way in the East corner but the club won’t do it because they’ll miss out charging home fans £60 for the seats when the away fans only pay £30.

I think a lot of it is to do with the club not wanting that kind of atmosphere, unfortunately. I think the only thing that is lacking at The Amex football experience is the interaction between home and away fans.

If the club could put the away fans in this highlighted area, I don’t think it would cost them much or anything at all in revenue, as all the seats are either the in the lowest price band or in the family section section. For the Watford game, an adult ticket was £30.

This will also relieve any pressure the club might get over the family section being too close to the away fans, as it can be moved to the South Stand.
BC11D3B5-7323-4B06-83D9-E4DA744F85ED.jpeg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think a lot of it is to do with the club not wanting that kind of atmosphere, unfortunately. I think the only thing that is lacking at The Amex football experience is the interaction between home and away fans.

If the club could put the away fans in this highlighted area, I don’t think it would cost them much or anything at all in revenue, as all the seats are either the in the lowest price band or in the family section section. For the Watford game, an adult ticket was £30.

This will also relieve any pressure the club might get over the family section being too close to the away fans, as it can be moved to the South Stand.
View attachment 120048

They would never put it next to the North Stand. South end of the Lower East is the obvious place.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The OP is spot on, many away sections in the PL are rubbish, in the corners, high up out of the way etc,

I agree. And you could argue it gives the oppo an advantage kicking towards the end of their fans. We should treat away fans like we are
treated away - with almost disdain I would say.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
They would never put it next to the North Stand. South end of the Lower East is the obvious place.

I’m not sure that would make much difference tbh.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They should give a couple of blocks of the south stand to away fans, and the rest of it around the corner into the lower East or West - no way should they all be massed behind the South goal, thats prime seating that should be for home fans. I guess the reason this doesn't happen is down to segregation issues at the turnstiles and on the concourses.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

View attachment 120048

That's more or less what they do at Southampton. The result, of course, is that the home supporters are completely and humiliatingly outsung by the away fans.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
They should give a couple of blocks of the south stand to away fans, and the rest of it around the corner into the lower East or West - no way should they all be massed behind the South goal, thats prime seating that should be for home fans. I guess the reason this doesn't happen is down to segregation issues at the turnstiles and on the concourses.

We’ve had away fans in the East before, so it can be done. Arsenal had the South and a couple blocks in the East in the cup twice.

This season, I think it’s only us and Sheffield United who have away fans directly behind the goal (lower tier).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Didn't they try to do that once?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here