Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Theoretical question re hmrc

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Let's imagine for a moment that you checked your account and there was nearly £20k that appeared out of nowhere from HMRC.

What should you do and what would you do?

All just a bit of fun.....

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Let's imagine for a moment that you checked your account and there was nearly £20k that appeared out of nowhere from HMRC.

Spend it in Dicks Bar this afternoon.
I'm just about to leave :drink:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

Asking for a friend?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We have had clients whose SA return has been logged but the figures haven't so the Jan payment is showing as repayable.

Anyway, like money incorrectly paid into a bank account, if you spend it, its fraud.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'd stick it in a deposit/savings account and wait and see what happens.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I would just hang on to it. Don’t spend it. Put it somewhere it’ll earn a bit of interest. They almost certainly have a record of it and it’ll all be part of your annual tax calculation.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I would just hang on to it. Don’t spend it. Put it somewhere it’ll earn a bit of interest. They almost certainly have a record of it and it’ll all be part of your annual tax calculation.

You mean the theoretical friend’s annual tax calculation?

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Strangely enough this happened to my brother about 20yrs ago. Not such a large amount but enough to be interesting. Many phone calls, numerous assurances that everything was legal and above board, my brother and his wife went on a once in a lifetime holiday. Only to return to a brown envelope waiting on the mat. Big error, can we have that money back please. Handed straight over to a solicitor and TWO yrs later it was resolved in my brothers favour. Lesson keep all correspondence when dealing with Government institutions.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Out of interest, what would you do if they had taken £20,000 out of your account?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Out of interest, what would you do if they had taken £20,000 out of your account?

Come on here and start a thread entitled:
'Theoretical question re hmrc'

"Let's imagine for a moment that you checked your account and there was nearly £20k that disappeared out of nowhere to HMRC.

All just a bit of panic....."

:whistle:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There is only one correct answer legally.

If the amount exceeds £150. You need to write to them notifying them within 28 days that you feel that the amount paid into your account is incorrect. Pay the payment back to them whilst they lead an Investigation into the matter.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Put it in Premium Bonds and when HMRC ask for the money back agree an interest free payment each month to pay it back, cashing in the bonds as you go. Or if you can afford the payments then keep all the bonds and at the end of the payment period you will have £20k saved. All the time you will also be in with a chance of winning a million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here